Grounding of low voltage panel

So i'm putting a low voltage panel in my garage. it has a green ground screw in it, I'm not sure where to ground it to. There is an outlet inside of the low voltage panel, my thought was to connect the ground for the panel to the ground wires that are tied together within the outlet box. Any suggestions if this is the right thing to do? the electrical service panel in the garage has un bonded neutral and ground. the ground has two ground rods outside of the garage and also ties back into the ground bar in the house.

I think if you have an outlet in the low voltage box, you would be ok to attach to those ground wires. But I would do it inside the outlet box itself, if necessary drill and add your own ground screw.

I would not snake a wire somehow out of the outlet part or ground the panel to an external outlet.

For a low voltage box, no ground is required. If you want a ground, either Post #2 or Post #3 is appropriate. If the outlet is in a metal box, you can also just ground the outlet box and rely on the hardware mounting the outlet box to the low voltage box to make the connection.

For a low voltage box, no ground is required. If you want a ground, either Post #2 or Post #3 is appropriate. If the outlet is in a metal box, you can also just ground the outlet box and rely on the hardware mounting the outlet box to the low voltage box to make the connection.
A "low voltage" box is not required to be grounded unless it is in electrical contact with something else that needs to be grounded. If a metal outlet box is in contact with the low voltage box, then the outlet box and the low voltage box both are to be grounded and bonded. [NEC 250.110(3)] Grounding the low voltage box to the outlet box ground is adequate.

Grounding to an outlet may be permissible by the NEC but for surge arresting a direct connection to the ground rod or it's ground conductor is proven to be better. Less resistance.

Back