Garage Door Triggers

dzirkelb

I am wanting to set up some sort of trigger, where if the garage door opens, then the lights in the garage will turn on...then, after 5 minutes, they will turn off.

Where do I begin for the garage door trigger? Should I use some sort of motion detector?

I do this with insteon. I imagine most any of the automation types (upb, z-wave, etc) would allow for this. Unfortunately, it requires several devices, and/or some control software. Taking the approach I took would require an insteon switch for the light, the IOLinc garage kit, and an ISY-99 controller. This is going to run around $500. Still interested?

There may be more economical options, but I have no first hand experience with any.

If you do not have a home control system, Omni or Elk or similar, then there are products that will take a dry contact input and send a UPB or other signal to the lights.
Products like the Simply Automated UPB switches have built in timers to turn off the lights, or you could send an off signal when the contacts close.

They are magnetic contacts just like you would have for an entry door.
There are special garage contacts made for roll up doors.

http://www.discounthomeautomation.com/cgi-bin/dha.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&retail_id=30&product_id=7981&session_id=0,0&search_id=810510

The door contacts can tell you the status of the door, whereas motion sensors can only tell you if there is motion in the garage.
If anyone is interested (not to hijack the thread), but I have two of these (Overhead Door Sensor) that need a home (I no longer need them)... $20 for the pair. Just PM me if you're interested.

I already have Homeseer Pro for the backend, and I built a dedicated PC to run it, so that is covered. I like the magnetic option, where it knows if it is open or closed, that is huge to me for what I want to do. I'll do some research on those as that will more than likely be the approach I take, thanks!

I already have Homeseer Pro for the backend, and I built a dedicated PC to run it, so that is covered. I like the magnetic option, where it knows if it is open or closed, that is huge to me for what I want to do. I'll do some research on those as that will more than likely be the approach I take, thanks!
Here are several ideas on this as well.
http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=144299&highlight=monitor+garage+door

I did exactly this with Homeseer. Magnetic switch, connected to a DS10A. The DS10A fires an event when the door opens which in turn triggers a HS event to turn on lights. This event spawns a second event to turn off the light 10 minutes later.

Should have mentioned that Garage lights are controlled with an Insteon switch and I have a RFXCOM unit connected to Homeseer to receive the DS10A signal.

another option that utilizes simple x10 signals... (i.e. no DS10A or special receiver required) is to attach a dry contact switch with a Powerflash module. It can detect a change in state (either from NO to Closed, or NC to Open) and send an x10 signal. Here's a link to the x10 site of the unit... http://www.smarthome.com/4060/X10-Powerflash-Interface/p.aspx

Back