Extending 4-conductor twisted pair

Neurorad

My doorbell cable - 2 pair, twisted, green and yellow pair, red and black pair - runs from my doorbell to the kitchen intercom master location.

Intercom was removed.  I'm extending the 4-conductor doorbell cable to the basement mechanical room, for future use.

I have a category cable run from this intercom location to the basement, ran it a few years ago.

I am doubling up the pairs on the category cable, and using it to extend the 4-conductor.  Is there a color coding convention for splicing?

Orange strip/orange to red?  Brown stripe/brown to black?

That would negate any benefits of there being a twisted pair being installed in the first place.

I'd suggest keeping the twisted pairs together on a cable and splice to the category as twisted pairs but I'd go with telcom pairs on the category cable, orange then blue and leave the green/brown unused.

Thanks, DEL.  I will not double them up.

I was a little confused on the convention of converting the twisted pairs, though.

My cable has yellow and green twisted, and red and black twisted, outside of the jacket.  I just removed more of the jacket, and can clearly see it's not twisted pair, just 4-conductor.  The intercom installer added the twists.

Anyway, to confirm, is this the convention that would be used?  I understand that the Ethernet 'first pair' is usually orange stripe/orange, then blue stripe/blue.  

phone-eight-strand.gif

Neurorad said:
Thanks, DEL.  I will not double them up.

I was a little confused on the convention of converting the twisted pairs, though.

My cable has yellow and green twisted, and red and black twisted, outside of the jacket.  I just removed more of the jacket, and can clearly see it's not twisted pair, just 4-conductor.  The intercom installer added the twists.

Anyway, to confirm, is this the convention that would be used?  I understand that the Ethernet 'first pair' is usually orange stripe/orange, then blue stripe/blue.  

phone-eight-strand.gif

I prefer to follow the telco pair convention, which is what the diagram you have shows.  The blue pair is pair 1, orange is pair 2.  In the 4 conductor cable, green/red is pair 1 and black/yellow is pair 2.

So, connect the respective Tip and Ring wires to each other on each pair.  If you want to double up on pairs, I would use pairs 1 and 3 to connect to the green/red pair and pairs 2 and 4 to the black/yellow pair, connecting the respective Tip and Ring wires to each other.

In an RJ45 jack, 10/100 ethernet uses the orange and green pairs, leaving the blue pair unused.  Although the orange pair is sometimes called the "first" ethernet pair, it is numbered as the second pair in the cable and connector. This avoids conflicts when someone plugs a phone, which normally uses the blue pair, into an ethernet jack and vice-versa.

If it's just regular 4 conductor, then I would follow telecom convention and not "brew your own". That would make the most sense for anyone moving forward, either pro or amateur.

I've had way too many experiences with a HO that chose to use orange as red, brown as black...etc.etc.

Thank you to you both.

I will use lineman's/ Western Union splices, with solder and heat shrink.

Drywall is currently open, where the intercom master was located, but I hate burying splices. I have barely enough slack to move the splice over to a nearby audio keypad location, so I will retain access to it.

Now, what to do with the doorbell button? I'll start another thread when the time comes. Currently using a wireless doorbell, with plug-in outlet chimes x 2. Button battery needs replacement every 6 months, but works well otherwise. If I drag my feet long enough, I may end up with an Elk M2, or M1 Platinum.

If they were following the Apple pattern, historically speaking, it would be called the M1 II. ;)

If Woz was still involved. Remember, the M1 is built off the old Z1100, which went through to the Z1100E, so they already have that angle covered.

They already had the M1 and M1G, so the next should be the M1GS :D

If I recall correctly...

A mnemonic for standard telco colors was BOG-Bull-Shit.

B-lue
O-range
G-reen
B-rown
S-late (grey)

The extended colors, typically found in the larger telco bundles were "While Running Backwards You Vomit".

W-hite
R-ed
B-lack
Y-ellow
V-iolet

...v

I don't do telco often enough for a mnemonic to be useful.

I'll just search for this thread. ;)

Keywords telco, twisted pair, orange, blue, brown, extend, POTS, neurorad

Thanks again, DEL and RAL. And viroid, too.

Back