Elk Zwave - Secondary Controller

mikei-ma

Has anyone used the ELK + Leviton VRC0P+3 as a secondary controller?  Now that I'm using my ISY as the primary for Zwave, I'm wondering if I can continue to use my ELK Zwave but place it in secondary mode.  This would allow me to use my ELK keypads to directly address thermostats.

It should work for most devices, but I believe you will run into trouble with secure devices such as the door locks, as they usually only allow 1 controller to be associated.  I might be wrong (hopefully I am, as I want to do the same), if you do find out, post an update please.

I have this setup working right now (with dimmers, lamp modules, and door locks), but I have no other controllers. Well, I have previously used a handheld Zwave remote with it at as well (controlling the dimmers and lamp modules) but I haven't used the remote in a few months now. 

As I continued to grow my Zwave network, the GE remote that I was using started to get difficult to keep track of Zwave devices... since it's just numbered 1-9 (but can control 18 devices via a shift key). So, as I kept adding devices it was harder for my wife and I to remember what light(s) were associated with #6, or whatever. Yes, these are configurable, but again as I add more devices, new ones may be of a higher priority to us, meaning I may assign them to a key that was used by something else. All of that said, we just haven't used the remote much in the past few months and I need to spend some time looking into some other options - I've briefly looked at the Leviton handheld remotes and like their styling, but really need to read up on them a bit more to see if they are worth their cost... something like $100-$150 IIRC.

Back