Elk wireless outdoor sensor for M1XRF2G

Kevin L

Hi, all.

On my pool cage doors I've been using the 60-499-11-319.5 (NX-453) wireless slimline sensor to monitor opening and closing of the doors. Unfortunately, I've been having problems with moisture in one of the sensors. I've been trying to find an outdoor/weatherproof version of this or a similar sensor. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

Thanks, John, but cold is not a problem - I'm in Southwest Florida. The pool cage door is outside and the switch is exposed to the elements and rain. I need something that can take the rain.

Kevin

I do not build electronics or boards, but I remember reading a blog posting one time about a guy using an aerosol product that would seal the board from moisture. I can't remember the name of the product but it was similar to this moisture displacer Maybe someone who builds electronics as a hobby or professionally will know. Also, you may try a thin coating of epoxy or sealant around the sensor as the same principle.

Hi, all.

On my pool cage doors I've been using the 60-499-11-319.5 (NX-453) wireless slimline sensor to monitor opening and closing of the doors. Unfortunately, I've been having problems with moisture in one of the sensors. I've been trying to find an outdoor/weatherproof version of this or a similar sensor. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

Maybe you can mount a NX-650 in an outdoor single gang plastic weatherproof box and run wires to a contact. GE has an outdoor wireless motion detector but not a contact that I know of.

I do not build electronics or boards, but I remember reading a blog posting one time about a guy using an aerosol product that would seal the board from moisture. I can't remember the name of the product but it was similar to this moisture displacer Maybe someone who builds electronics as a hobby or professionally will know. Also, you may try a thin coating of epoxy or sealant around the sensor as the same principle.

Thanks, TX, that's something to look into.

Kevin

Maybe you can mount a NX-650 in an outdoor single gang plastic weatherproof box and run wires to a contact. GE has an outdoor wireless motion detector but not a contact that I know of.
That could work, but it would not be pretty where I'd have to install them. I'm surprised they're aren't outdoor sensors, since they'd be the logical application for wireless.

Thanks,

Kevin

What's a pool cage?

I've spent the last hour looking for an outdoor solution, and I can't find one either.

I bet there is a way to hide the NX-650.

I came across an 'Intrusion Sensor Application Notebook' .pdf from GE (192 pp, large file) - some good tips on contact, motion, and glassbreak sensor positioning, but nothing specific to outdoor wireless.

A pool cage is a pool screen enclosure, like these. I currently use an NX-454 outside in a mailbox and its been fine. I was going to put one on the screen door as well but haven't yet. If it started acting up I was going to just run a small bead of silicone around the edges of the cover although they look pretty watertight as is considering its just some rainwater, etc.

What's a pool cage?

I've spent the last hour looking for an outdoor solution, and I can't find one either.

I bet there is a way to hide the NX-650.

I came across an 'Intrusion Sensor Application Notebook' .pdf from GE (192 pp, large file) - some good tips on contact, motion, and glassbreak sensor positioning, but nothing specific to outdoor wireless.

Thanks, Neuro. I appreciate the effort and the info. I found some info about circuit board sealers, but they're very expensive (one was $100/can).

Here's what my pool cage looks like. Many of the pools in FL have them. It keeps the bugs and debris out of the pool area. There are two doors on it, and I use the sensors to alert me when they open - Elk announces, sends an email, and I start recording with the security camera.

PoolCage.jpg
">

Pool.jpg

Kevin

A pool cage is a pool screen enclosure, like these. I currently use an NX-454 outside in a mailbox and its been fine. I was going to put one on the screen door as well but haven't yet. If it started acting up I was going to just run a small bead of silicone around the edges of the cover although they look pretty watertight as is considering its just some rainwater, etc.

I read where you had it in the mailbox, Steve. When I first installed these, I though it looked pretty watertight, but it's shorted for the second time in six months. The other one, installed the same way, has been fine. I think I may just order a new one, spray some moisture displacer on the inside, and then use the silicone to seal it better.

Thanks,

Kevin

Wow - great looking pool.

My pool in FL didn't have a 'cage' (Ponte Vedra Beach), but I had a friend who did. Awesome for bugs, and keeping the pool clean.

Agreed that just sealing the sensor/transmitter enclosure should work fine.

You may want a motion sensor in the cage also.

I saw a GE wireless Crystal 'micro' sensor - may be more discrete than the NX-453, and it's also available in white or brown.
On another site I saw the wireless micro sensor listed as NX653 (brown).

The micro sensor is ~$3 cheaper than the NX-453.

Thanks, we are pretty happy with the pool. It was my first time designing a house and pool, and it turned out very good.

I do have some of the micro sensors elsewhere, but for these doors, the slimline NX-452/3 works best, since it's only .31" wide.

Thanks for all the effort, Neuroad.

Kevin

Just smear some silicone around the edges of it. Don't put it on before you put the cover on, or you'll probably break it trying to replace the battery.

Back