Elk - Tstat Thermostat Rules Based On Season

jlegault said:
This is what I did, kinda overkill but has worked for us for about 12 years now. If I want to change basic parameters I just change custom settings. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zimPaol4YGTEHZmvZ36sZQw3UaWV2XC6riMjA8l2AZg/pubhtml?gid=1331810954&single=true
Wow!

mralarm000 said:
Hello I am looking for some advice on how to set rules based upon season. Spring, Summer, Fall. Winter.
So what are your goals?  Why do you want rules, as most people set their thermostats and never touch them.

Ive done a lot of experimenting, and at least for cooling, setting the temp higher a bit for a few hours when you are away never has saved me any costs, so from that knowledge I now do the opposite. Precool the house in the morning, and not use the AC in the afternoon when rates are high. Keep in mind I live in AZ where typical temps are 105 - 115. The highest temp we have gotten during our 7 hour off time was 82. In exchange my electric bill is 50% of before. I do the same if I'm in the house or not, home or vacation.

But maybe for you money is no object so comfort is your goal.  Then you need a different plan.  Outside of summer we do tweak the temp based on humidity for added comfort. 

For heat we have gas, so setback temps are certainly doable. Its easy to quikly heat a house but not so easy to cool it. A heatpump would be similar to AC.

Back