Elk M1 monitoring company in MD

icellama21

I'm looking for a good monitoring company for an Elk M1 system in Montgomery County, MD.  DIY options like NextAlarm/AlarmRelay won't work, their stations aren't permitted by the county.   I need a local company to handle support and monitoring.

I'm not trying to be cheap, typical rates in the area are $25-40/month for monitoring.  These rates usually include a new system.  I'm happy to pay it, but DO NOT want a new system.  I've been setting up Elk M1s for years, I am more than happy to help them.   It is currently running with both an IP connection and an uplink anynet.

Short version, no one will do it.  Just need to find someone that will work with it.  It seems in their interest to do so, I'm not asking for a discount for NOT installing a new system.  Anyone know a local company?  

icellama21 said:
I'm looking for a good monitoring company for an Elk M1 system in Montgomery County, MD.  DIY options like NextAlarm/AlarmRelay won't work, their stations aren't permitted by the county.   I need a local company to handle support and monitoring.

I'm not trying to be cheap, typical rates in the area are $25-40/month for monitoring.  These rates usually include a new system.  I'm happy to pay it, but DO NOT want a new system.  I've been setting up Elk M1s for years, I am more than happy to help them.   It is currently running with both an IP connection and an uplink anynet.

Short version, no one will do it.  Just need to find someone that will work with it.  It seems in their interest to do so, I'm not asking for a discount for NOT installing a new system.  Anyone know a local company?  

That's extremely interesting to me... I've never heard of that before - I've never heard of a CS needing to be permitted by the county.

Does the county offer a list of companies that are permitted?

I'm in Montgomery County Maryland and I've been using Nextalarm since 2006 on two properties without any issues whatsover.  What do you mean by their stations aren't permitted by the County. 

I live in Montgomery County, MD and I use Alarm Relay.
There is a form you need to fill out for the Montgomery County, MD police.
You need to do this no matter what monitoring company you use.
Alarm Relay has been great!

Hmm, I'll make some more calls.  Anyone have a successful dispatch using alarmrelay or nextalarm in Montgomery county?

What I've been told:

1) You can setup monitoring with anyone
2) You can register your own alarm system with the county

However, the dispatch center will not dispatch police unless your monitoring center is specifically permitted by the county.  Some of the larger ones like alarm.com are licensed.  My understanding is that nextalarm and alarmrelay are not, but sometimes they will dispatch police anyway.

From http://www.mymcpnews.com/divisions-2/management-services-bureau/fars/information-for-all/alarm-user-registration/

It is your alarm/monitoring company’s responsibility to provide you with burglar alarm registration information at the time of sale or installation of your alarm system. Every alarm/monitoring company that conducts business within Montgomery County must be licensed by both the Maryland State Police and the FARS.  Alarm/monitoring companies must provide their Montgomery County license number and your Montgomery County alarm user registration number to 9-1-1 operators when requesting dispatch to an alarm activation.

If you do not have an alarm/monitoring company, you may obtain registration information directly from the FARS.

I finally found a local shop that will configure it for a fee and resell an alarm.com subscription.  But I will also consider alarmrelay and nextalarm.

Back