Elk audio distribution ideas

Quixote_1

Hello once again, fellow home automation junkies.

I am looking for ideas on how to manage audio distribution for the Elk system. I'm thinking that I do not want to have a separate series of speakers distributed around my home if I'll be installing in-ceiling speakers anyway for background music. Would it be possible to somehow wire the Elk to the existing speaker system in, say, 5 zones, simultaneously with other sources without blowing up my whole system? I know that's a long-shot, but I'm really just grasping at straws at this point.

What other ideas have you guys come up with aside from using a computer to manage all sounds that are initiated by the security panel? I know that Girder and the Elk plugin are one option which I will be investigating no matter what, but I am not sure what that combo could do for me sound-wise. Also, it has been my goal as of late to avoid relying on a PC.

Looking forward to hearing what the pool of wisdom bubbles up. :mellow:

There are a few ways to go depending on your goals

1. Will your 'background music' system be a DA system like Russound or Nuvo? If so, some of them have built in paging capability. You could hook your Elk either to a dedicated paging input or a source and use that. This method is the easiest but it assumes you have a DA system with paging capability. There are also a few 'tweaks' to this method if needed.

2. Another method would be to use a switcher with multiple inputs like the AB8SS, if you can still even get them.

3. Another method would be to roll your own with relays. Have each 'source' going into a different leg of a relay and use the trigger to choose the source. I think it would be a DPST relay.

4. Another way would be to use a mixer and mix the Elk output with one of your sources. You would shut the source off when the Elk wants to speak. This is where this method gets tricky depending on what the source is. You would have to use Elk rules and probably output/relay to somehow control the source.

There are some ideas, hope it helps.

I agree with Steve's suggestions above. A lot of your methodolgy will probably be dictated with the system that will distribute your whole house audio.

For instance, if you choose a Russound, they might have a "paging" optional input that will automatically cut off other sources when properly "triggered".

What way will you be distributing the audio in your home?

The CocoonTech Gods have spoken. :mellow:
Great pointers. I will start there and see where it leads me.
I have not decided what method I will use ultimately for my home audio distribution, but so far I am considering multiple amps (cheap and spartan, but with one sweet one for my main HT area). The multi-amps will be connected to some sort of audio distributor, perhaps a "popcorn hour" in some way so that I can point it to a network bank of mp3s.
I'll read up on your collective suggestions and consider my next step.
Thanks.

Hi Lagerhead,
Thanks for taking the time to dig that up for me. I am a little confused how I would use the diagram though. Can you please explain it a little bit to me and let me know what exactly I would accomplish with this arrangement?
Thanks.

I am a little confused how I would use the diagram though.
It shows an Elk-endorsed way to share speakers between two amplifiers. I guess that's about it, and probably not what you are looking to do. Anyway the MV-480 shown in the diagram has been discontinued which is probably why this is gone from the Elk website.

I am a little confused how I would use the diagram though.
It shows an Elk-endorsed way to share speakers between two amplifiers. I guess that's about it, and probably not what you are looking to do. Anyway the MV-480 shown in the diagram has been discontinued which is probably why this is gone from the Elk website.

OK, thanks. I was just wondering where I would connect multiple speakers since I only see one there. Also, I was wondering why I would need a serial board. I think that I'll use your suggestion from your first link on how to adapt the M1 output level, then hook it up to one of the inputs of my audio system. I can then switch to that input when I need to using IR codes from either a USB-UIRT or an IRTrans. Not my original intention, but it should suffice.

I have eight of the Elk SP12 speakers throughout my house (in addition to the Nuvo Grand Concerto's inwall / inceiling). I ran a single run of cat5e to each location and have a motion along with a speaker in a 1-gang at each spot.

I have been quite pleased with the two systems working independently (Nuvo and Elk).

CIMG2238.jpg

Interesting solutions. I like those metal cases -- reasonably priced as well. Maybe that link will come in handy one day.

My goal, however, is to use the multizone audio system that will already be in place once installed. I guess for total reliability I will need to put the amp(s) on a UPS so that I can still get announcements if the power ever goes down. The only problem with this method that I can foresee is that I will not get announcements while music is playing unless I set something up to automatically change the input of the amp(s) when there is a voice announcement somehow.

My goal, however, is to use the multizone audio system that will already be in place once installed. I guess for total reliability I will need to put the amp(s) on a UPS so that I can still get announcements if the power ever goes down. The only problem with this method that I can foresee is that I will not get announcements while music is playing unless I set something up to automatically change the input of the amp(s) when there is a voice announcement somehow.

You should seek some input from people who have done what you are trying. I have read reports of problems like:

clicking noises when sources are changed.

the annoyance of having music interrupted frequently.

delays that are just long enough to make the announcements less useful.

Just some thoughts!

Back