ELK-6023

They've been promising that for a while now and it's good to see it available. Nice short magnet too. I'll probably put one or two of those to use at some point.

Mike.

sanders2222 said:
I wonder how long the battery will last in that thing.  How do you change the battery?

I haven't seen anything from Elk on the expected battery life for the 6023, but the battery life for the other Elk wireless sensors ranges from 3 to 7 years.

The battery can be replaced by prying off the end-cap of the sensor.  It uses a 1/2 AA size lithium battery.

I'm about to start an ELK M1 install (DIY) and I picked up some ELK-6023 for my doors.  The instructions warn against installing in metal doors.  Two of my doors have metal skins.  I believe they are wood core, but they definitely have a steel skin.  Has anyone installed one of these sensors in a door like this? 

You put the transmitter in the wood jamb. If you have a steel jamb, that's another issue altogether. You would need to use different magnets. The ones that come with it are designed for non-ferrous doors. Steel door magnets have a buffer around them as ferrous materials compress the magnetic field and decrease gap. In other words, don't install normal magnets straight into steel doors.

Thanks for the quick reply.  The instructions warn against the metal door interfering with the wireless signal.  So as long as I have a wooden jamb, I'm ok?  Does the transmitter get located far enough away from the metal door, such that it doesn't interfere with the signal quality?  I'm just trying to understand the situation.  Thanks.  

What you want to avoid is wrapping the transmitter in a metal shield, which would prevent the signal from getting to the wireless receiver.

As long as the transmitter is mounted in a wooden door frame, without any metal encasing it, it should be ok.

But you will still need to use a magnet meant for use in a steel door, like the magnet you get with a Honeywell 947-75T contact, or a GRI 180 series contact.  These require a 3/4" mounting hole, which allows the magnet to be isolated from the surrounding steel.

Back