Dual Reporting with NextAlarm

icellama21

I have an elk M1 set up to report to the central station via both telephone and cellular backup(uplink). I originally tried usually the cellular as the primary, and the telephone as the backup, or vice versa, but found that occasionally the primary communication failed and the backup was never tried. Looks like the M1 was getting a kissoff or acknowledgment for data that never made it.

So now there are two reports being sent for every condition. The timing on which the reports arrive at next alarm is arbitrary. Usually the first one goes out right away, but the 2nd report is often delayed by 2-90(yes, 90) minutes. This is worrisome due to the problems mentioned above. NextAlarm insists that the arrival times are approximately correct. Anyone else seen this kind of delay? Is the source in the M1 or with NextAlarm?

I have heard of similar allegations when using the ABN with NextAlarm, but that shouldn't apply to you. I cannot imagine how a POTS call could be delayed in transmission as there are no buffers. UpLink uses SMS, not a voice channel, so I could see how there could be delays in that system getting the message to Uplink or in Uplink dialing NextAlarm.

Unfortunately, the M1 doesn't log when it HAD to resort to a backup dialing method, so it seems to be a matter of trust everything or flood the central station with duplicates that cannot be reverse traced?

Back