Documentation on correct hook up to phone demark point?

Quixote_1

Can someone please either point me to explicit documentation on how to interface my Elk to my phone line or explain in great detail how exactly to do it? I have not been able to find any such information.
The RJ31X box and surge suppressor that came with the Elk seem to have an additional 4 wires in them (blue, gray, orange/pink and Brown) that I am not used to seeing in a phone wire. I thought that there is only supposed to be the green, red, black and yellow.
What is the correct series for the two boxes? Are there phone junction boxes that have the 8 wire connections or do I just need to wire from the ring and tip (red and green)?
I'm super confused. Thanks for your help!

The RJ31X is designed to seize the phone line.
It basically disconnects all the phones wired to it so the console can take over.
http://www.hometech.com/learn/rj31x.html
Thank you. That makes things a lot more clear. One other question, though. It looks like I need to cut off the little brass connectors on the gray, two-foot cord in order to attach it to the Elk board. Am I correct in assuming this? I think that is the main reason that I was so confused.

...and surge suppressor that came with the Elk...
What surge suppressor are you talking about? Did you get an Elk 950 or 951? If so, those have RJ31x Jacks built in. The wiring diagram is very easy to follow. Yes, if you use the pigtail cable with the spade lugs you will need to just cut them off to attach to the M1 board connector.

...and surge suppressor that came with the Elk...
What surge suppressor are you talking about? Did you get an Elk 950 or 951? If so, those have RJ31x Jacks built in. The wiring diagram is very easy to follow. Yes, if you use the pigtail cable with the spade lugs you will need to just cut them off to attach to the M1 board connector.

It's the 952.
So the sequence is Elk -> pigtail cable -> Elk-952 -> RJ31x -> Telco line in (demark), right?
Then I wire all of my phones off of the ring and tip of the RJ31x that are not connected to the telco line terminals?
Thanks again for all of your help, guys.

Ok. I never used the 952, I prefer the 950 or 951. I guess the 952 is good for existing installs with RJ31x jacks already installed and you want plug and play. So yes, you are on the right track, the 952 simply goes in between the existing RJ31x jack and the M1. If you don't have the RJ31X jack installed then install it according to the directions on the top of Page 7 of the Elk Install manual. Install the pigtail cable as we discussed also as shown on Page 7. If you want you can simply check your connections witht he Elk hooked up directly. When you are happy and satisfied it works (check to be sure phones work and also that they are cut off/seized during an alarm) then simply unplug the pigtail from the RJ31X and plug it in to the 'Control In' jack on the 952. Plug the wire from the 952 labeled telco RJ31X into your RJ31X jack and lastly connect the green ground wire from the 952 to a solid ground. Then just retest as above and you should be good.

Sorry to revive the thread, but I was wondering if I can wire a pair to a zone to supervise the phone line. I noticed that others have mentioned this in the past.
Thanks.

Back