DIN Rail Mount Terminal Blocks

Neurorad

I'm patching my distributed audio speaker wires in an enclosure.

I've been leaning toward barrier/terminal strips/blocks, but for possibly 80 eventual wires (20 zones, 4 conductors/zone), the cost will be high, and more importantly, the real estate in the enclosure is at a premium.

I've thought of mounting the terminal strips vertically (sideways, sticking out from the back of the enclosure), but this would make screwing difficult (unless there was some kind of release mechanism to remove the strip from the mount). Enclosure is ~6 inches deep, Channel Vision with the 2" ring extension.

1. What type/style of rail-mounted terminal block should I consider? Feed through, double, triple? 5.2mm, 6.2mm, 10.2mm, 12mm, 16mm? I'm overwhelmed by the choices. Standard screw down, IMO, would be better and cheaper than screwless.

2. What vendor? Digikey, Mouser, Allied, Newark. Automation Direct seems to be relatively more affordable, and they offer some online explanations. Grainger seems pricey.

Thanks guys.

I've been researching DIN rail blocks for quite a while and I am leaning strongly toward using them when I relocate/reinstall my personal system. I was going to use them for all terminations of zones and power.

Wago invented the technology and they are the 'leader' and held the exclusive patent. Altech and Phoenix have large selection now as well. Automation Direct is the least expensive but they also have the most limited selection and you are required to get things in bulk (including the rails). There are also a handul of other small manufacturers. A standard terminal block is still going to be the least expensive regardless of how many terminations you have and you can still fit a ton of connections in a small space.

I was going to probably use double level blocks so I can put 1 zone per block. Each 'level' is one pass thru wire. So a double level I can attach a single 22/2 and feed one zone through. For powered zones I was going to use another dual level block (+ and -) next to the zone block for power.

You really need to figure out what you want then find the best vendor. I am currently leaning toward Mouser.

Oh, and IMHO I would only use the spring/cage clamp blocks. If I were to use screws then I would probably just stick with regular blocks. Screwless blocks will be faster to install. Not that it is important in our scenarios but screwless design is used mostly in industrial where vibration can loosen screws. With screwless once you insert the wire its tight for good.

Thanks, Steve. I've read lots of your older posts concerning your search for DIN rail-mounted terminal blocks.

What do you mean by 'standard terminal block'? Barrier/terminal strip?

The double level/2 tier block seems to be a good way to go for contacts, as well as speaker wire.

Thanks for the tip on the spring/cage clamp - your warning 'it's tight for good' seems ominous - can a wire ever be released, once inserted? I generally avoid spring clamps, when possible, so I'll have to think about this concept.

I'm sure what Steve really meant was that once you properly insert a wire into the spring, it isn't going to accidentally release or fall out. You should be able to disconnect the wire by inserting a tool into the release point.

Modern high voltage (110v) light switches use this same type of screwless design. If they are safely designed for 110v use, you shouldn't have any worries about using a similar screwless design with LV stuff.

Yes, thanks Brian, that's what I meant. You use the tool (can be a small screwdriver) to both insert and remove the wire. Ask TonyNo in chat about them, he uses cage clamps all the time. And yes, by standard I was referring to barrier/terminal strips or blocks

I think I read of BSR using DIN terminal blocks, in chat. I think he was spec'ing some, several weeks ago. Maybe he'll chime in.

Know of anyone who has actually USED rail-mounted terminal blocks? TonyNo uses cage clamps, with terminal blocks? Tony?

I guess I have plenty of time to figure this out, in reality. I would have prefered to hook up DA speakers to terminal blocks, during the initial install, but it's really only the cost of the labels. And I'll be adding multiple zones over the next few years - only 8 or so planned for the immediate future.

I have been spec'ing and using cage-clamp terminal blocks for many years now. As Steve said, catch me in chat and I'll answer any questions on the subject! :)

Back