Control Leviton Omni Systems w/Alexa

I hate the whole "tell Homeseer to ...".   Using the Alexa smart home skill removes having t do that.

You limit yourself by not adding a few words to your sentence though. There are things that the basic Skill just can't do.

Yeah, I can see how just using the smart home skill is limiting. ^_^

Security:
Alexa, tell homeseer to set the security mode to arm away.
or
Alexa, turn on arm away.

Thermostats:
Alexa, tell homeseer to set the living room heat to 69 degrees.
or
Alexa, set the living room heat to 69 degrees.

In all seriousness though, I think it is good that Homeseer offers this and it is a great way for people with that product to get up and running with Alexa.  It's just my personal preference that I don't like ANY of the "tell XYZ to ..." methods on Alexa.

Surprisingly, I've not been as limited with the basic smart home skill on/off and temperature/level commands as I thought I would be.  I activate OPII buttons/macros with "Turn On" commands as well as I control my Denon amp source selection with On/Off commands.  I do things like "Alexa, turn on Tivo" which switches the Denon Amp on and changes to the Tivo input (or DVD, Playstation, Apple TV, etc.).  I also use the the dimming commands to control volume on the Denon by saying "Alexa, set inside amp to 55".  I had to role my own to do this, so yeah, having Homeseer do these things out of the box is a good thing.

This is using Homeseer automation software and a 3rd party HAI plugin which talks to the OmniPro2 panel. 

The Homeseer Amazon Alexa plugin is included with Homeseer.

There is also a 3rd party Homeseer Alexa plugin that uses a microphone.  I mixed my configuration using the Homeseer Kinect and Alexa plugin.

I currently am using the HAI plugin on two Linux running Homeseer boxes; IE: Homeseer Pro and Homeseer Lite (Zee2)

The web page for the HAI plug-in indicates “beta release only for now” and “thermostat support (TBD)”…have you found that the software is stable and reliable enough that it’s worth the $49.99?

Yes; while in beta right now it is worth more than $49.99; but that is my opinion.  

I was involved a bit with the introduction of this plugin a couple of years ago and have been a Homeseer user since the late 1990's and an HAI Omni Pro user since the early 2000's.

Best for you to give it spin and see for yourself and post and ask for comments from users and directly interact with the author Rob on the Homeseer forum HAI subsection.    

I have tested the use of one Omnistat connected to the OmniPro 2 panel and it is working fine.   

Here is an HAI Omnistat touchscreen page I have added.   I started to make the screen a bit too busy (low on the WAF) adding Omni temperature and humidity sensors and 1-Wire temperature and humidity sensors.   I have made changes to the Omnistat via the touchscreen and they work fine.  Typically though I do not touch the thermostat, just look at the status mostly if anything as I do with the Omnitouch consoles / screens.

attachment.php

Back