Check your batteries: Battery Leaking/Weeping

A couple of things to check:

Disconnect the battery from the M1. Measure the voltage on the leads that connect to the battery. It should show 13.8 to 14.0 volts DC. Then measure the voltage on the aux power terminals. It should read about 13.8 volts DC. Measure the AC voltage at the transformer input terminals on the M1 board. It should read about 19 Volts AC.

Here is an interesting question, if one IS experiencing an overcharge condition, does that necessarily dictate that the M1 is 'overcharging' ALL the time?  In other words, can one just check the DC charge output with a multimeter anytime and determine that this condition will exist ALL the time (wondering about charge cycle times, if any do indeed exist)?

I don't believe there are any charge cycles because the Elk is designed to hold a float charge on the battery.

video321 said:
A couple of things to check:

Disconnect the battery from the M1. Measure the voltage on the leads that connect to the battery. It should show 13.8 to 14.0 volts DC. Then measure the voltage on the aux power terminals. It should read about 13.8 volts DC. Measure the AC voltage at the transformer input terminals on the M1 board. It should read about 19 Volts AC.
Thanks Video321.  
I confirmed that the leads to the battery (when disconnected and when connected to the battery) was 13.8V on my Elk M1 (for comparison, my P212S shows 13.7V).  The rest of the system is also showing ~13.8V.  The AC Voltage was showing at 17.2V on the M1 and 17.1 on the P212S.  So based on the fact the correct voltage is being provided to the battery, I would assume that my battery trouble was again related to a second faulty Elk battery.  I have switched the battery that died to a PowerSonic so we'll see how that fares.

For the "float charge", does the Elk just keep applying a continuous charge to the battery?  How does it keep from overcharging?

Thanks again! 

Superjer2000 said:
Thanks Video321.  
I confirmed that the leads to the battery (when disconnected and when connected to the battery) was 13.8V on my Elk M1 (for comparison, my P212S shows 13.7V).  The rest of the system is also showing ~13.8V.  The AC Voltage was showing at 17.2V on the M1 and 17.1 on the P212S.  So based on the fact the correct voltage is being provided to the battery, I would assume that my battery trouble was again related to a second faulty Elk battery.  I have switched the battery that died to a PowerSonic so we'll see how that fares.

For the "float charge", does the Elk just keep applying a continuous charge to the battery?  How does it keep from overcharging?

Thanks again! 

Possibly a stupid question.  Are you using one battery for the panel and the aux power supply?  That would explain a lot

Superjer2000 said:
A float charge is designed to keep a battery "topped off".

Digger said:
Possibly a stupid question.  Are you using one battery for the panel and the aux power supply?  That would explain a lot
Hahah - No, two separate batteries, the positives are separated but as required, the grounds are tied together.  I'm pretty confident in the install.

Elk batteries can leak just by themselves..

Just purchased 2 new batteries (8ah) last month and put the box they were shipped in next to my current install until I got a chance to replace the old ones. A few days later when I got around to it I opened the box and noticed the batteries were sitting on their sides. When I picked up the batteries I felt dampness and found liquid on the cases and moisture along the seam where the top and bottom parts of the case meet.

Definately my last purchase of Elk batteries.

Back