Centralite Jestream vs Radio Ra2

ekkoville

Well I seem to be down to two candidates for retrofit lighting. I want something affordable, scalable, reliable, and attractive. Lutron seems to always get the nod for quality, reliability, and customer service. So I now set them as the standard and go from there. Not interested in powerline, and Z-wave isn't exactly cheap but it doesn't really hook me. So I'm left with a Zigbee style like RadioRa2 and Jetstream. Both have rs232 for feedback, an iPhone app, and good looking dimmers. My question, Jetstream seems to be cheaper over time considering the price of the Lutron main repeater, but is the quality there. I know I can get Zigbee in Crestron and Control4, but I want to do something myself and add or change scenes as I want. I seem to be stuck on the two, any help would be great.

Erik

Welcome to CT!
Do you have dealer access? Some of these components aren't easy to get as a typical DIY'er, so keep that in mind. The RadioRA2 hardware is VERY nice, and is probably something I would consider myself if it weren't for the pricing/access. While JetStream is ZigBee, I do not believe it is 'ZigBee PRO' meaning it isn't compatible with other ZigBee hardware. Centralite does offer ZigBee Pro compatible hardware, but it's pretty expensive, and can be difficult to find.

Welcome to CT!
Do you have dealer access? Some of these components aren't easy to get as a typical DIY'er, so keep that in mind. The RadioRA2 hardware is VERY nice, and is probably something I would consider myself if it weren't for the pricing/access. While JetStream is ZigBee, I do not believe it is 'ZigBee PRO' meaning it isn't compatible with other ZigBee hardware. Centralite does offer ZigBee Pro compatible hardware, but it's pretty expensive, and can be difficult to find.

Hi Dan, thanks for the welcome. First post but have read for awhile. I do have dealer access on the Ra2 stuff. At one point I was considering a small Crestron system and I was going to buy the gear from them. I still might use them for the gear, install it myself and then have them program the system. Of course, there doesn't seem to be a small Crestron system. I went in thinking the Prodigy 3-series stuff would be an answer but they made me believe it wouldn't work and that a Pro2 processor was worth it. At any rate, being able to implement the lighting with a control system is key. I went to Magnolia the other day to investigate Control4, what know nothings. To make it worse, it's $100/hr to add a dimmer or switch later on; not worth it. I do have another source for Lutron and the essentials software and I may try that route. The Jetstream looks really nice and easier to program. Is the Zigbee platform that the Jetstream is on a good one? Lots of choices.

Erik

Initially, there were some quality issues with the JetStream paddles, if you search the forums for 'jetstream' you'll find some more info. That said, I would probably take a look at their new Centralite Azela line, which is the ZigBee Pro compatible lineup (not sure about the quality tho, there is almost nothing about this product online). HAI has launched some ZigBee hardware as well, so they might be worth a look. When I was at CEDIA last year, I was mostly impressed with the Lutron hardware, very nice looking, and has a high quality feel.

I know this is a delayed reply to your question, but I'd like to share a feedback on Centralite JetStream system that I had installed in the friend's apartment (this fact required a wireless system as opposed to UPB or other powerline solution). We liked the look of Lutron switches, but the cost was a deal-breaker. So we went with jetstream instead and have no regrets. The system has been working for 6 months and slowly expanded from the initial install. It is easy to change the button's functions. The programming software is very easy: do it yourself from your PC or laptop. Adding or removing a device is a few seconds operation. And it has a controller that allows programming timed events, so you dont really need a PC or another controller to have a relatively sophisticated programing. The switches come in 1 and 3 button versions, and any of the 3 buttons can be programmed to control a scene or a load. The LED intensity on the switches can be set to different levels for night and day.
I don't see why would you necessarily need the zigbee-pro version, as it can be integrated to many systems via its serial controller. The system controller was connected to Somfy RTS interface, and the shades are now controlled by Centralite buttons, even though there is no zigbee interface to Somfy motors. You can add several such controllers to the system and integrate with other RS232 devices, or connect it to HAI controller that has built-in integration to jetstream. The only drawback we have encountered was that their dimmers cannot control some ballasts or dim LED, CFL and fluorescent lights. If you do not have a need to dim such loads, use a relay switch for those.
Hope this review could help people who are looking for a reliable and (relatively) economical solution for lighting automation.

picta, curious to what you and your friend think of the 'feel' and quality of the jetstream paddles. all the discussion about the previous version of the paddles has kept me away from Jetstream..

The 1 button paddles are ok, they do not feel as nice as the Lutron or even Insteon switches, but more like a regular switch. But 3 button switches are the best buttons we've seen. They are big enough for not thinking about where to put your finger and can be pressed to dim/bright, they are nice to the touch and because the cost of 3-button dimmer is only a few bucks more than the single, my friend opted to have most of the switches with 3 buttons. The shades take 2 buttons each, plus the scenes, so you can almost run out of buttons even with all switches as triples.

Back