Cellular Backup

The TG-4 can be totally independent power wise from the M1. It comes with its own wall wart 12 VAC and you can plug in a 12 VDC backup battery. The only connection needed to the M1 is from the M1 dialer to the TG-4.

Can someone point me to the definitive primer or give me their personal experiences on cellular phone backup systems? I will be using it with an ELK M1 Gold monitored by Nextalarm. I am looking for a backup in case the primary telco wires are compromised.

What I have used is a Cell Socket model 61622 from WHP Wireless Inc that allows one to plug in any Nokia series 5100, 6100, or 3285, 7160, or 7190 cell phone and connect that phone to conventional 2-conductor hardwired residential telephone wiring. The built in antenna is an improvement over that of the cell phone itself. You can leave your land line on one pair and add the cell socket to the second pair and use both lines from any two-line phone in the house.

The erstwhile www.cellsocket.com web site seems to have been taken over by a liquidator selling cell sockets for Motorola cell phones but there are bits and pieces of the old site left. Here's te FAQ page:
http://www.stsent.com/_banners/cellsocket_faqs.htm

It is said to work with DTMF tones, to wit:
" The CellSocket will work with certain devices that use DTMF to transmit information such as various makes
of security alarm systems."

.. Marc
A visit to my internet porch sale of excess personal HA and electronic gear at www.ECOntrol.org/porch_sale.htm may provide more information on availability ;-)

Those cell socket/dock and talk things look promising. I have no land line now, would this also carry fax signals?

20. Does Dock-N-Talk work with modems, fax machines, security systems, credit card readers, Tivo, Direct TV or other satellite TV systems? Top of Page

The Dock-N-Talk will work with certain devices that use DTMF to transmit information such as various makes of security alarm systems.

You will not be able use the Dock-n-Talk for Data including modems, fax machines, credit card readers or satellite receivers. The fault does not lie in the product, but with modern digital cellular networks. Digital cellular networks use compression algorithms that will not allow modem or fax tones to pass through the network.

We have heard success stories with analog cellular connections on older analog cellular phones at VERY slow data speeds; However, in the United States it is common for cellular service providers to deny an analog call to be made if a digital connection is available.

Note: Data transmission is not supported by technical support and will not be honored as a return excuse.

will the Dock-n-talk work with the Elk? i.e., does the Elk send the right kind of tones to work with this? it appears to be a cheaper solution: $180 for the dock-n-talk, already have old cell phone lying around, add $9.99 a month to add a line to my family-plan, hook it up to the elk and done!

The cellular modules usually retry until acknowledged. Not sure you would get that (or how it would handle a dropped call using Dock-N-Talk).

well, Martin made my decision extremely easy... with his permission, I can tell you I got the DigiCell ANYNet from Martin for $150. Add a suitable wall-wart, and a serial expander, my total was under $275 (after tax... I live in Texas... in fact, I picked it up in person). The thing they didn't have was the connecting cable, so I'll have to find a way to get a hold of one of those, although Brandon Stapp is checking with Uplink as well. Even if they want $50 for the cable as inferred earlier in this thread, at $325, the whole package is still less than the retail on a Telular TG-1 (I was recently quoted $395 by the company that ADI referred me to). Plus, to have peace of mind that if anything went wrong, both NextAlarm and Elk officially support the Uplink made it an easy decision...

.. now if only I had that one cable.

So are there any monthly fees from Uplink? We know NextAlarm wants an extra $7.50/month for Uplink, right? Any idea what the Telular monthly charges are? NextAlarm has no extra charge for Telular.

NextAlarm has no monthly charges from Telular because you are paying Telular the monthly charges, which depend on your service level... I believe rfdesq said he was paying $6.95 a month, but I don't know how many tests and alarms that gets.

When you pay the $7.50/month fee to NextAlarm, they're in turn paying Uplink part of that, so if you have the $7.50 monthly charge with NextAlarm, then no, there is no additional fee to Uplink.

so, in my mind, the monthly charges are a wash

Back