Can you wire a DPDT relay "backwards"

politics123

Hi --

As many of you have noticed, my current projects all relate to basement water-proofing and eliminating the single-points of failure. Now that my inverter project is well underway, it's time to address sump pump failure. I'm going to install a second, primary pump.

What I'd like is the ability to cycle usage between these pumps, which means that every rainstorm, I'm essentially testing the backup mechanism. Zoeller sells this which costs ~$350.

What I'd like to do is use my ELK to control a relay, like this one from
Radio Shackto get the same functionality.

I figure, a DPDT relay can be installed to control which pump is active.
Code:
Left Pole   center pole	   Right Pole
Pump1	   12vac			 Pump2

Also, I'd like to install a DPDT relay to supply backup power (via an inverter).
Code:
Left Pole  center pole	 Right Pole
PrimaryAC  to_pumps		BackupAC power (12v battery through inverter)

Can I wire the DPDT relay in both of these configurations?

I know if this was an old-fashioned knife-switch, it wouldn't be a big deal...

Can I wire the DPDT relay in both of these configurations?

I know if this was an old-fashioned knife-switch, it wouldn't be a big deal...
Yup, unless some audiophile starts making a $500 directional relay. A relay doesn't care whether current flows from the center contact to the fixed poles or vice versa. I think that there is some minor issues at the fringe of relay design regarding contact materials, contact pitting, etc, but those shouldn't concern you or me.

A relay is very much like a knife switch.

I work a little better with schematics. Can you draw up what you are going to do with both poles (just draw it up like a knife switch if you want). Remember both poles switch together and one side will always be "ON" (the "normally closed contacts").

I'm just not following the descriptive text (probably just me) :(.

I work a little better with schematics. Can you draw up what you are going to do with both poles (just draw it up like a knife switch if you want). Remember both poles switch together and one side will always be "ON" (the "normally closed contacts").

I'm just not following the descriptive text (probably just me) :(.

I could be all wet (it is raining in DC now, let's hope 123's pumps are running), but I think that 123 meant to say he's looking at using a pair of SPDT relays in "series". One to switch between the primary and backup power and another to switch between the primary and backup pump.

BSR --

Schematics attached. The intention is to eliminate all "single point of failures" in an automated method... enough time for me to get home and crank of the generator.

The first diagam shows the redundant power solution (AC_utility or AC_from_inverter) to the "pump." I would use the DPDT switch to power a single load from two different power supplies. See this thread.

The second diagram shows how I would wire redundant pumps together. I would use the DPDT switch to power two different loads from the same power supply.

I asked three questions over on the other thread that are still unanswered:
1 ) Can I wire the inverter ground (normally, this goes to vehicle ground, but I'm not using it in a car!) to normal AC ground
2 ) Is there any negative side-effect on using a DPDT relay as a DPST relay (just by not connecting anything to the right side).
3 ) Wondering if anyone had an inexpensive source for relays. Alas, the Elk 912/924 isn't rated to handle my 1/3 HP pumps.

NOTE: Okay, technically, each of my relays would be single point of failure... but those aren't nearly as likely to break as the pumps.

Attachments

• Backup_Power_to_Sump_Pump.jpg
    Backup_Power_to_Sump_Pump.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 41
  • Backup_Sump_Pumps.jpg
    Backup_Sump_Pumps.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 38
I sort of see where you are going with this. I do see a couple of areas of concern.

One is if the pumps are normal 120 VAC you should only "switch" the hot leg and not the neutral.

Also, I'm not sure what logic you would use to switch the relays because one pump would always be on.

For your DC question, I would not tie the negative of the 12 volt system to earth ground as this is a signal patch (i.e. not like an AC ground). Also, I would only switch the hot leg of the input to the inverter as well.

Can you describe a little more how you are planning on switching the relays (and what coil voltages you will use for this)?

Another thing to consider is making sure you obtain a well insulated pump. I would still make sure that all power sources (at the plug) are removed if you would have to go into an area where there is water present (arrange your sources so you can unplug them at an entry point, then just plug them back in after you exit). The idea is not to have any electrical sources contact the water with people present (in the water).

You might be overthinking this a bit. If you want to have two pumps, I would give them each a float switch (to cover the possibility of a float switch failure) and wire the two of them so that they both have power all the time. Then I'd simply install one float switch a bit lower than the other. That way the pump with the lower float switch would be the primary pump and run most of the time, but if that pump (or it's float switch failed) then the water would rise an inch or two and trigger the float switch on the backup pump.

It would be a good idea to test the backup pump and float switch periodically as they should never trigger if things are working well, but I think that this would eliminate a lot of complication and also eliminate your relay system as another single point of failure (what happens if one of the relays fails?)

Brett

A whole lot of good ideas and questions that need to be answered:
1) The easiest way to wire this is two sump pumps... one driven off AC power, the second (backup) driven from the battery. With power on, the system is redundant. With power off, there's a single point of failure (backup pump that is seldom... if ever... used, unless tested)
2) Note that I plan on using sump pumps that have floats... so even when power is being "routed" to one sump pump (we'll call it the 'hot' pump), it doesn't actually run unless the float completes the circuit
3) The inverter and relays are essentially a "poor-mans" automatic transfer switch. When power fails, stop powering from the GRID and power from the inverter instead

One is if the pumps are normal 120 VAC you should only "switch" the hot leg and not the neutral.

Easily done, but then I wouldn't be able to switch between inverter and house_AC, right? I don't think I can have the inverter hot be serviced with the house neutral or vice versa.

EDIT: Sorry, I think I get what you mean. In the pump diagram, connect all the neutrals together. These neutrals would be contacted by the other relay to either the inverter_AC or the house_AC. I guess I could use either a SPDT switch, or a DPDT switch while only connected the hot to it, right?

Also, I'm not sure what logic you would use to switch the relays because one pump would always be on.

One pump would always be "powered" but the float would control whether the pump was on. I'm sorry for omitting this detail.

Can you describe a little more how you are planning on switching the relays (and what coil voltages you will use for this)?

It depends on what relays I acquire. Alas, I cannot use the ELK-924s. Anyway, as I understand it, DPDT relays are such that one pair of poles is contacted if there's no power across the relay, and the other pole is contacted if power is applied to the relay. I was planning on using a wall-wart matched to the voltage and AC/DC type. For the house_AC and inverter_AC lead, I'd wire the inverter_AC to the contact that's connected when there's no voltage, and the house_AC to the other contact. In this manner, as long as there's power to the wall-wart, the relay would be connected to the house_AC side. If power is lost, then the relay would de-energize and contact would switch to the inverter_AC source.

For the DPDT that controls the pumps, I was leaning on using the ELK to round-robin the relay from left to right with every operation. I was planning to wire in an additional float that located higher in the sump pit than the two sump pumps. If this float contacts, than there's a pump failure, and the ELK should immediately change to a different pump. Alternatively, I guess I could build a simple circuit board that does the same.

For your DC question, I would not tie the negative of the 12 volt system to earth ground as this is a signal patch (i.e. not like an AC ground). Also, I would only switch the hot leg of the input to the inverter as well.

The inverter has a separate grounding screw to connect to the chassis, I guess I never thought that this was the negative.

I can switch only the hot leg of the inverter input. I assume thats the "positive" cable from the battery?

You might be overthinking this a bit. If you want to have two pumps, I would give them each a float switch (to cover the possibility of a float switch failure) and wire the two of them so that they both have power all the time. Then I'd simply install one float switch a bit lower than the other. That way the pump with the lower float switch would be the primary pump and run most of the time, but if that pump (or it's float switch failed) then the water would rise an inch or two and trigger the float switch on the backup pump.

It might be a bit over-engineered ;) Your design has merit, too.. but I think there are two disadvantages:
1) You only know that the backup pump works if you test it. This is a bit of pain, since the only way to do that is manually manipulate the float. I'd prefer to provide an airtight seal around the sump pit to further reduce my radon levels... which would make regular tests annoying... The above design means that every other time your sump activates, you'd be testing the backup device.... automatically.
2) I'm using a good, inexpensive, but relatively low powered inverter. In battery-operated mode, its conceivable that the "lower" pump fails in an on-state -- eg: air lock, broken impeller, leak in the outflow pipe, etc -- and when the backup turns on, I'd double the load on the inverter, and in fact, likely exceed its rated ability.

It would be a good idea to test the backup pump and float switch periodically as they should never trigger if things are working well, but I think that this would eliminate a lot of complication and also eliminate your relay system as another single point of failure (what happens if one of the relays fails?)

agreed!

I think it'd be a whole lot cheaper to have several "redudant" water level sensors that notify you in the case of a rising water level...

But barring that, if you do have to switch between AC and an alternative power source (DC inverter), make sure you are using a properly rated and listed transfer switch. I know they are costly, but they are for a reason. A typical DPDT relay may or may not be guaranteed "break before make", which is what you need in this case. That is, a proper transfer switch breaks all contact with all legs of one power source before making ANY contact with ANY leg of the other. That way there is no chance of having a short circuit, or an inappropriately energized circuit at any time when transferring the load. This is important for safety! Imagine what might happen if you inadvertently put AC power on the inverter output, or send a power to one side of a properly-grounded but not yet neutral-connected sump pump in water! This is how smoke is made!

Note also that even the best relay will arc in certain circumstances, and if the float is up and power is applied when the relay switches, on or off, chances are you'll get an arc as the motor draws or dumps a significant surge of power. Arcing causes relays to corrode, carbon up, weld themselves closed, etc. so THAT may well become the point of failure you wish to avoid.

I think it'd be a whole lot cheaper to have several "redudant" water level sensors that notify you in the case of a rising water level...

But barring that, if you do have to switch between AC and an alternative power source (DC inverter), make sure you are using a properly rated and listed transfer switch. I know they are costly, but they are for a reason. A typical DPDT relay may or may not be guaranteed "break before make", which is what you need in this case. That is, a proper transfer switch breaks all contact with all legs of one power source before making ANY contact with ANY leg of the other. That way there is no chance of having a short circuit, or an inappropriately energized circuit at any time when transferring the load. This is important for safety! Imagine what might happen if you inadvertently put AC power on the inverter output, or send a power to one side of a properly-grounded but not yet neutral-connected sump pump in water! This is how smoke is made!

Note also that even the best relay will arc in certain circumstances, and if the float is up and power is applied when the relay switches, on or off, chances are you'll get an arc as the motor draws or dumps a significant surge of power. Arcing causes relays to corrode, carbon up, weld themselves closed, etc. so THAT may well become the point of failure you wish to avoid.

Gordon --

I wanted to read your comments and let it sink in before responding.

DPDT form C relays are make before break. The ones I found are made for factory automation, are UL rated, and appear generally well-built. From my research into generators, I learned that the 2nd most frequent point of failure was the ATS itself! Also, an ATS is made for switching 50amps+ of 240VAC. My sump pump consumes around 6 amps (12 inrush) at 120VAC

However, I'm generally conservative... I could easily add a second set of relays on all the "hot" side of the circuits, that are controlled separately. So the DPDT switch that switches between the battery and the 120 house circuit is automatic, but in between the house_circuit and the DPDT switch (and the inverter_ac and the DPDT switch) would be a separate, controlled SPST switch, which I can control (along with the battery to inverter SPST switch) via the ELK. In this way, I can control when power is truly "restored" to the DPDT switch.

Order of operations:
Whenever house_AC power fails:
1) shut-off house_AC SPST switch
2) connect_on inverter/battery SPST switch.
3) connect-on inverter_AC SPST switch

Whenever house_AC power restoral:
1) shut-off inverter_AC SPST switch
2) shut-off inverter/battery SPST switch
3) conect-on house_AC SPST switch

These rules template assume that the DPDT switch is energized by house_ac through the coils, and thus it automatically switches to battery or back to AC. In theory, I could buy a relay that I also controlled by the ELK. Since I have CTs on the sump pump, I could wait for the sump to stop running before switching the power over.

Does that design reduce some of the concerns?

BTW -- I'd be using this relay and its cousins. I like the LED indicator and the manual override. However, its DIN mounted. Anyone know where I can get a DIN rail?

Thanks!

Back