Premise Builder Error

Motorola Premise
C

chucklyons

I've been hacking away on Premise since 2002-ish and encountered an error I have never seen before (besides my usual coding snafus)...I was in the middle of working on my dev environment, then an error box popped up 'Premise has encountered an error and will now close...sorry for the inconvienence'. It had the 'Send this error report to Lantronix' option, although it seemed rather pointless.

Anybody ever seen this? I'm curious as opposed to thinking anyone could ever solve it... :(

Atta-boy, Chuck! The immovable object finally met the irresistible force!

I've spent a lot of time with Builder and never crashed it. You win the kewpie doll! The worst I've done is pass a badly-formed VBScript command via an eval statement. That'll stop the VBScript interpreter and require restarting the Premise Server service. Other than that, its like the Energizer bunny.

I'd be curious to know the sequence of events that led to the error .... is it reproducible.

Hi Chuck,

I can't say that I've ever crashed builder, yet :( I have had to restart the service if my code screwed something up though. So, is it just builder that's messed up on machine X? Are you able to go to machine Y and still use builder to connect with the SYS server?

Just to be clear...after builder said 'good-bye', I restarted it and didn't have any problems after that, my coding notwithstanding :( I had to replace my previous laptop, so I bought one of those netbooks. I think I may have hit some combination of alt and...?

The brains of the house resides downstairs, wich I remote in to add code, tweak schedules, etc. I've never crashed builder in such a way that I received that error. Given it was addressed to Lantronix means it didn't get mod'd when Moto bought it. Damon?

...Given it was addressed to Lantronix means it didn't get mod'd when Moto bought it....
Now that says a lot about the conditions needed to make the bug appear. It hasn't seen the light of day since Lantronix sold Premise to Motorola. :(

Just to be clear...after builder said 'good-bye', I restarted it and didn't have any problems after that, my coding notwithstanding ;) I had to replace my previous laptop, so I bought one of those netbooks. I think I may have hit some combination of alt and...?

The brains of the house resides downstairs, wich I remote in to add code, tweak schedules, etc. I've never crashed builder in such a way that I received that error. Given it was addressed to Lantronix means it didn't get mod'd when Moto bought it. Damon?

I'll look through the code tomorrow and see if I can find any errors that throw that verbage.

Damon,

Awesome. If you have the resources to do that, when you have the time, can you look into why Builder does not list the Premise Servers on the local network. "SubscribeToDiscovery" works within MiniBroker and is evidence that the Premise Servers are announcing their presence. Yet, Builder only displays "localhost" and nothing else. Not a showstopper but it'd be satisfying to know why it operates like it does.

If you have time to answer trivia:
One other quirk I found, a long time ago, is that if you double-click Builder's Toolbar, a window appears for a split-second. Was this supposed to be part of a Toolbar Configuration dialog box?

If you right-click Modules, in Expert mode, it allows you to create a new Module and External Module. External Modules have an intriguing property called ModuleType that can be the CLSID or ProgID of a COM component or the URI of a .NET class. If this is functional, how do you you use it? If not functional, what was its intended purpose?

What was the beta .NET version of Premise like? Would it have been possible to create native drivers in .NET as opposed to C++? What other goodies never saw the light of day?

Well, as I continue my quest to add component control to the iPhone module, guess who reared its head? See attached photo! Like spotting the Loch Ness monster or Bigfoot, this time I had the presence of mind to snap a shot of it as it crashed....As far as trying to recreate it...I was using the reverse feature, specifically because I didn't recall being in that area of the code, I kept pressing to see where I was before...then this was the result.

Attachments

• premiseError.png
    premiseError.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 44
Curious. The instructions request that you report the problem to Lantronix yet the product was in Motorola's hands for at least, what, two years? This message-box must have been overlooked during the re-branding process.

FWIW, this is the first time I've ever seen it. No idea what might have caused it fail. Have you looked in the STS_5936.dmp file? Anything in there that is understandable to mere mortals?

I got a bit of a chuckle out of that, as well...I was going to hit the send to button, but figured it wouldn't do anything. I was surprised...I didn't find a .dmp file...anywhere on the server...

You guys have seen my code..I'm sure I'll see this again :)

Well, the mysterious bug has arisen again. I'm not sure whether to be thrilled or honest.

This results from a good ol' fat fingering! For those interested in trying it, (and why you would, I have no idea)

In builder, with focus on the editor, hold 'ALT+Space Bar'. The minimize/maximize box in the upper left corner will appear. Then the Lantronix error box will appear...

Know you too can enjoy the marvel of fat-fingering!

...with focus on the editor, hold 'ALT+Space Bar'. The minimize/maximize box in the upper left corner will appear. Then the Lantronix error box will appear...
So simple, so I had to try it .... 'the ghost of Lantronix past' did not appear for me. FWIW, the test was performed with Builder running on Windows Vista 64-bit.

Chuck,

I haven't seen what you are talking about either, but take a look in the application or system event logs. Do you see any unexplained access violations around the time Builder crashes? That might indicate a DEP issue. If you are running Windows 7 on the netbook, try disabling DEP for all but system processes.

-John

Its not a big deal, actually. I was just glad to reproduce it. I typically develop (or some one call it hack!) Premise on my Windows Home Server (Remoting in). I was able to recreate it using my Netbook (XP). I'll look at DEP...sounds reasonable.

BTW, Insteon still rock solid...anything new coming? :)

Back