Brultech ECM-1240 questions

Sandpiper

Can anyone with some Brultech ECM-1240 experience answer these questions? I have looked at the web site and manual but this information is not easy to find.

1. Does a 240 volt circuit need to have 2 CT’s per channel or can it work with one CT?

2. Can two 240 volt circuits be monitored on a single channel? Example: air handler and heat pump on a split A/C system. If so, how many Ct’s are needed and how are they wired?

3. How are the CT’s wired when monitoring multiple 120VAC circuits? Also, what is the limit when monitoring “multiple†circuits? Can I monitor nine lighting circuits on one channel?

4. What is the input specification for channel 5 when using for voltage or pulse inputs?
i.e. what voltage level is needed and what are the hi low trigger points and what is the input impedance?

5. When monitoring multiple ECM-1240 units via Ethernet, does each unit need its own Etherbee to Ethernet adapter? What is needed to monitor multiple units via Ethernet?

6. What software is needed to record the collected data into an Excel spreadsheet?

tenEcmCsvLogger, in conjunction with tenEcmServer, will continuously write data received from the ECM-1240 to a CSV file -- which can be opened by Excel.
tenhold, thanks for the response. It appears to me that tenEcmServer gathers data via the serial port in the ECM, then makes it available on an ethernet network. Is there a way to gather the data via ethernet through the Brultech-supplied Etherbee-to-ethernet gateway?

tenEcmCsvLogger, in conjunction with tenEcmServer, will continuously write data received from the ECM-1240 to a CSV file -- which can be opened by Excel.
tenhold, thanks for the response. It appears to me that tenEcmServer gathers data via the serial port in the ECM, then makes it available on an ethernet network. Is there a way to gather the data via ethernet through the Brultech-supplied Etherbee-to-ethernet gateway?
Slight tangent, I ported the FreeBSD code written by Louis Mamakos to a more Linuxy platform yesterday (I prefer fbsd in general, but where this is, Linux is what I have) and also hacked in support for the EtherBee, which required some creative work for some libevent shortcomings, at least with the version Ubuntu had.

What's key to note about the EtherBee setup is that it connects to you via TCP, which seems backwards to me. Means that if you want to reconfig the ECM-1240 over TCP, you have to reconfigure the EtherBee to talk to your windoze desktop.

Anyway, my point is that it's possible. I have no experience with the other s/w yet, but I do recall at least some of it claiming to support the TCP stuff.

Chris.

The ECMServer software available on the BrulTech site and on my site http://www.bobsplace.com/ecmserver/ will collect data from a network enabled ECM-1240 and store it in an Access database (along with making it available via TCP to other applications). However, it can't communicate directly with an EtherBee at this time. Also, it is a windows app.

Can anyone with some Brultech ECM-1240 experience answer these questions? I have looked at the web site and manual but this information is not easy to find.

1. Does a 240 volt circuit need to have 2 CT’s per channel or can it work with one CT?

2. Can two 240 volt circuits be monitored on a single channel? Example: air handler and heat pump on a split A/C system. If so, how many Ct’s are needed and how are they wired?

3. How are the CT’s wired when monitoring multiple 120VAC circuits? Also, what is the limit when monitoring “multiple†circuits? Can I monitor nine lighting circuits on one channel?

4. What is the input specification for channel 5 when using for voltage or pulse inputs?
i.e. what voltage level is needed and what are the hi low trigger points and what is the input impedance?

5. When monitoring multiple ECM-1240 units via Ethernet, does each unit need its own Etherbee to Ethernet adapter? What is needed to monitor multiple units via Ethernet?

6. What software is needed to record the collected data into an Excel spreadsheet?

I don't know what happened..... I took the time to answer all of these questions, submitted it but don't see it anywhere? Maybe I browsed to another page before it was submitted?

Paul

What's key to note about the EtherBee setup is that it connects to you via TCP, which seems backwards to me. Means that if you want to reconfig the ECM-1240 over TCP, you have to reconfigure the EtherBee to talk to your windoze desktop.

Chris.
If you configure the etherbee to use server mode instead of client, you can initiate the connection to it at port 10003.

Geoff

Slight tangent, I ported the FreeBSD code written by Louis Mamakos to a more Linuxy platform yesterday (I prefer fbsd in general, but where this is, Linux is what I have) and also hacked in support for the EtherBee, which required some creative work for some libevent shortcomings, at least with the version Ubuntu had.

Can you share your changes? I'll try to merge them into my code base (which has about to undergo some serious updates, when I get the time) and carry them forward.

louie

I also have the EtherBee and would be interested in Ethernet support via the tenEcmServer application.
Thanks!

I had the same questions about 240V.... I have two zone AC with two air handlers and two condensors. I would love to just monitor those 4 circuits on as FEW channels as possible. I think you can do this but the rep should confirm....

The unit has two channels to monitor each phase of the panel. I think you can use a split CT to monitor both phases of the main panel on one channel. This fees up a heavy duty channel where you can use another heavy duty CT. I think you can get another heavy duty CT for the AC air handlers. I think you can run both trough one split CT. I think the constraints are total amps and diameter.

But if Paul gives a answer I would be interested.. I have the older model and was looking to upgrade.

I can try my hand at answering these based on the 1240 manual I have. I'm getting my CT's installed this Friday, and maybe I'll have more to add then.

It requires 2 CT's, 1 per hot wire. Since the 240 v circuit has 2 hot legs, it requires 2 CT's.

That I'm not sure about. Each hot in a 240 v circuit requires a CT, so a single 240 v circuit would be 2 CT's. For Channel 1 and Channel 2, there are connections for "single" or "dual" as far as CT's go....so I'm not sure it would accept "quad" (4 CT's for 2 circuits).

There's not a description as far as I can tell, but there is a diagram of "Connecting Multiple MicroCT to a Single Channel" and it shows 4 micro CT's connected to Aux 2. *shrug* Not a definitive answer, but it looks like at least 4 micro ct's can go into a single aux channel input.

Check out the 1240 software thread in the forums, I think that's where the software stuff is being posted.

I didn't have any answers for the other stuff. Hopefully Paul will get the chance to try and post his answers again, and clear up anything I have made fuzzy.

I don't think that you need to have 2 CT's for a 240V load, as long as you double your result. I am using 2CT's to monitor the two 240V circuits for my geothermal. The results are identical to having two CT's on each as long as I double the result.

I'm using 2 60A CT's for these two circuits on channel two, I have on question, if I want to add a std mini-CT (for my water pump) I think I need a resistor. Does anyone know which resistor I need?

Has anyone got this working correctly with a solar PV circuit? I have a 20amp 240volt solar PV breaker. I used two micro CT's, one hooked up to each leg, in parallel with a 20 ohm resister across the legs. I configured correctly, but I don't get the correct readings.

What is more puzzling is that at night my inverter draws a little power, and the polar watts is positive at night and during the day when generating power. I would assume that when the inverter is drawing power, that the polar values should be 0 and be positive when I am generating power.

How do people have this hooked up? Any help would be appreciated.

Ray

I don't think that you need to have 2 CT's for a 240V load, as long as you double your result.
I think that theoretically this is true, but only if your load is pure 240V. Things like clothes dryers, stoves/ranges/ovens, maybe HVAC blowers can have a 110VAC tap to allow for variable capacity/speed, so those loads could draw different amounts from the two legs. Since the micro CTs are so cheap and easy, I figured I would play it safe and use two.

I am using 2CT's to monitor the two 240V circuits for my geothermal. The results are identical to having two CT's on each as long as I double the result.
I'm using 2 60A CT's for these two circuits on channel two.
So you are using 2 60 Split CTs on main channel 2 to monitor 2 separate 240V loads? I assume you have to do the value doubling externally as the ECM-1240 configuration software doesn't seemed capable of supporting that config.

I know in the ECM-1240 configuration program, there is an option to select single or double CTs for the 1 main channels and options to enter the number of mini-CTs for the aux channels. I understand their purpose, but they didn't seem to do anything when I last played with them. Do they work for others?

I have on question, if I want to add a std mini-CT (for my water pump) I think I need a resistor. Does anyone know which resistor I need?
You only need the resistor for Aux 5. I don't know what value it was, I don't recall seeing it documented. I just used the one that came with the ECM-1240. Sorry, I cannot look at the stripes from work :icon_pai:

Ya, I don't know what resistor either, my 1240 came with several resistors. And if I recall (don't have the manual here at work), you would have to use the resistor not only on aux 5, but also if you're trying to use a mini-ct on one of the main Ch1 or Ch2 inputs.

Back