Broconne's Wiring Adventure

Pete,
Nice looking install there, If you havent I suggest you go and setup a user album here at CT and post yout pictures, or start your own showcase thread you may inspire others.... Like meny of the users around here.

Pete,
Nice looking install there, If you havent I suggest you go and setup a user album here at CT and post yout pictures, or start your own showcase thread you may inspire others.... Like meny of the users around here.
Indeed - that is the sort of picture worthy of its own tale. As Mustang coupe suggests, or there is even a Blog feature here...

yes and thank you. Its been about 3.5 years of wiring. I remember putting the touch screen in the living room and coming up with the justification to the wife as to why we needed a touchscreen in the living room.

Will post pics in a separate section. I have almost removed every tube TV in the house and migrated them over to LCD's. Yesterday ran an audio cable (two conductor microphone cable) from the family room to the master bedroom so that I could here line level of what's coming out of the stereo.

Pete

Equipment time!

Foundation is up:
3484081829_960025e533_b.jpg

And even waterproofed:
foundationwrap.jpg

In about 20 days most of the house will be framed and I will be meeting with the LV and electrician. I decided it would be good to have some equipment on hand so that we could avoid mistakes. I have already ordered one each of the ALC/OnQ switches (scene, relay, dimmer, aux).

Lets take this sensor by sensor.

Motion Sensor:
I was leaning towards the bosch tri-tech pet friendly. Anyone have experience with the bosch line? Are there better sensors to look at?

I just ordered one of these to try:
Honeywell

I got the link from kwilson, he seems VERY happy with them.

So, I thought I'd give it a try and see what happens!

--Dan

I just ordered one of these to try:
Honeywell

I got the link from kwilson, he seems VERY happy with them.

So, I thought I'd give it a try and see what happens!

--Dan

Do you prefer ceiling mount? I think in my applications a corner mount would hide better, but I am open to discussion if ceilings mounts are better? Plus, I should have access to the walls after moving in and can run that myself for the first floor.

I have those Bosch units...seems fine..easy to install.

No adjustability of the sensitibity though and I do find them no very sensitive.

These will definetely only work for alarm type monitoinrg, not occupancy. I have one pretty much facing the couch and if i wave my arms it doesnt see, why get up out of my chair it does. With the pet feature it definetely needs some 'mass' to be in motion before it triggers.

I have those Bosch units...seems fine..easy to install.

No adjustability of the sensitibity though and I do find them no very sensitive.

These will definetely only work for alarm type monitoinrg, not occupancy. I have one pretty much facing the couch and if i wave my arms it doesnt see, why get up out of my chair it does. With the pet feature it definetely needs some 'mass' to be in motion before it triggers.

Do you have any pictures of the install? Did you just punch a small hole in the wall and bring the wire back out? I am actually concerned about fishing the wire left in the wall for me and how I can bring that out from a tiny hole..

The LV guy left the wire dangling and the sheetrockers went around it, so after the painters were done there was a small wire just dangling there for me to terminate on. If you plan to put up the motions soon after you take ownership of the house i woudl definetely have them leave it out in the open rather then hidden in the wall.

MavRic
Thanks for the heads up on the Bosch, I had just picked out the BLD1 and a Leviton model OSC20-MOW and was trying to decide which to go with. The Leviton is more expensive and has features I don't need but it appears to be the only true occupancy sensor I have been able to find. Will need to do more research, the hours seem endless.

Thanks again

Do you prefer ceiling mount?

Wife likes the low profile, I like how sensitive kwilson told me they were. Mine has not arrived yet.

I think in my applications a corner mount would hide better, but I am open to discussion if ceilings mounts are better?

I think it's personal preferance. I liked how this one comes with masking shields, and since it's more omnidirectional, it can "see" into the room a bit better then the corner mount styles I've looked at. This is based on spec sheets, and the layout of it's sensitivity "areas"

Plus, I should have access to the walls after moving in and can run that myself for the first floor.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do downstairs at this time, but upstairs I'm going to put these in...for downstairs I was thinking of that sensor that Dan (electron) uses...gets glued to the first floor 2x10's in the basement...senses if you are there by the movement of the floor.

--Dan

What are the best places to order sensors from? Is there a consensus best place? I guess I am looking for the monoprice/newegg of sensors! :)

Back