2 prong UPB appliance modules

PaulD

I have been tied to the notion that all UPB devices require 3 wire to work. I just discovered that 2 prong UPB appliance modules exist. Example is the UMA-E-W from SA. How does this work without the 3rd wire?

I have been tied to the notion that all UPB devices require 3 wire to work. I just discovered that 2 prong UPB appliance modules exist. Example is the UMA-E-W from SA. How does this work without the 3rd wire?

Perhaps you are thinking of the requirement for the neutral connection (white wire)?

FYI, I've been working on a write-up for these.

With desoldering the relay, then desoldering 1 wire, then shorting another wire in...you can turn one of these into a remote relay, UPB controlled.

I didn't want to keep spending $99 per UIO32 Module...esp. since they can only switch something like 42VAC. By modding this device, you get a relay that can switch up to 120VAC...

Not that that is terribly important...BUT the important thing is that they are MUCH cheaper then the UIO32. I know I had picked up a bunch on e-bay a while ago for $15 each (they are HAL branded...but I didn't care).

The other thing to mention, if you look at the 3 prong guy...take notice of WHERE the holes are for the pass through. If you cut two slots in about the same location on the two prong guy...you will see that there IS a receptacle behind the plastic. So, you can stack them (which is useful to me in a few locations).

--Dan

Now that's some really useful information! I have 4 of them myself, and not having that pass through outlet was the only thing I missed. Looking forward to your write-up!

Now that's some really useful information! I have 4 of them myself, and not having that pass through outlet was the only thing I missed. Looking forward to your write-up!

Any particular format that I need to provide the writeup in?

Or just so long as it's HTML happy?

Do I just add a post to the How To forum? I see the format (KISS, very nice). I have an idea as to what I want to do.

Just need to know where to toss the electrons (not Dan) to.

--Dan [drozwood90].

Do I just add a post to the How To forum? I see the format (KISS, very nice). I have an idea as to what I want to do.

Just need to know where to toss the electrons (not Dan) to.

--Dan [drozwood90].

any chance for a quick & dirty version of this before the formal write up? like a photo w/ some annotations? thanks.

A write-up would indeed be great. If you send me the raw text/pics, I can do the formatting, will post it under the new portal.

Sorry all, my bad. With the hectic things that have been going on here, I forgot about this.

Dan, I'll get you a rough set of text (hopefully Sunday), with my pics. If you want to do the formatting, etc. I'll review it to make sure it's AOK.

Again, sorry for the delay...10 hour days at work...new baby on the way, as well as my current child (10 month...and really likes it when Dad gets home!). I've not really had time to get everything together.

I'll re-find my pics. (stuck them on the server somewhere!).

--Dan

Also it would be great to find out how you've opened these up. I've tried to look for a way to open up the plastic case but couldn't figure out a way without breaking the plastic case or taking a dremel to it.

Back