help with commercial install

3axisinc

Our company is an exhibit design firm located in Kansas City. We have a client who would like to have their exhibits all programmed to fire up and shutdown on a schedule. We came up with a plan that kind of works using a script and some x10 devices. We have 4 computer, a couple iPads, and some lights that were all set to turn on or off depending on which script was run but the x10 devices are flaking out.

is there a zwave product that will allow us to do the same thing?

The biggest problem we are having now is that the "on" script can be run at the same time as the "off" script and it's hosing the computers... not much fun.

any input would be appreciated (hardware brands or specific devices... software, anything)

thanks -
Brad.

Not sure that I would trust either power line or wireless technologies when you are going into exhibit places where power condition and wireless signals are unknown. Using relays that are hard wired to the circuits would make a much more reliable system.

You should get an IP power strip if you just need power control. Something like this, http://www.ubnt.com/mfi#mpowerpro

ha! That's amazing that products are being recommended that haven't even made it to production yet!

Definitely avoid wireless and powerline based technologies. Depending on your requirements, I would definitely go the powerstrip route as previously suggested. I use these in many remote locations, and they have been very reliable. I believe there is an SDK, and they support some form or scripting (haven't tried that aspect yet), plus they are very affordable.

thank you so much for the info - we'll be looking into the power strips and i'll let you all know how it goes. thanks again!

sorry - just saw the question about what's powered - we need to control outlets. some have low voltage transformers pluged into them, some have audio repeaters, some have computers and ipads that get shutdown via the script and then powered off at the outlet.

I would definitely second Dan's suggestion - I use the same ones. Those mPower ones should be interesting when they come out - I can't wait to try them; but until they're in peoples' hands, I'd stick with what's been out for years and is well trusted.

I used to deploy the high-end version of their power switches, but their Web Power Switch offers the same feature set, and offers the most bang for the buck. I'm very happy with it, and if the standard rackmount features don't matter to you, I would definitely go with the web power switch (but you can easily mount it on the side of a rack, using zip-ties if needed).

Personally, I would stay away from anything else claiming to offer these kind of features, but for a much lesser price, as you will be disappointed (at least I was).

Finding used APC hardware on eBay is also a great suggestion.

after looking into the web power switch - it's exactly what we are looking for. the web service with the ability to make calls to it from a web page means we can make a slick front end web page that will not only run the scripts but also allow for individual control over each exhibit. thanks for the help!

Back