Newbie...Need some opinions to start

chimas16

Hi! I'm really new at this so I will need your oponion and comments so I can start. I haven't bought anything yet, and I really don't want to buy something that it will not be usefull for what I want. I've seen lots of different brands and I'm not sure at all which can be the best for me. Let me tell you what I would like to install so you guys can help me out:
I would like to start installing in my house lights that can be switched from my android phone and also maybe add switches to some appliances like TV and Ipod. I know this might be very easy but I really don't know what I have to buy to do all this.
Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot!

I would recommend sampling some X10, Insteon, UPB and Z-Wave switches and seeing which you like the best. You can also download free 30 day trial automation software to test with as well. I personally use HomeSeer (http://www.homeseer.com) and have a few X10 switches left, several Z-Wave switches/door locks and thermostats,etc as well as 5 Insteon switches and 7 UPB switches. HomeSeer controls all of these simultaneously. It's addictive but it takes some time and experimentation to see which protocol suits your needs the best. HomeSeer has an Apple site of software as well as Android as well.

Read all you can.
Consider what you want to do.
Then buy a few test pieces to play with.

Do not jump in feet first.

Thanks guys...one more question, will I need to buy something like Mi Casa Verde? Or just with buying the Z-wave switches will I be able to connect them to my router and then use my Android phone to use them?

Depends on the device - you'll need some sort of interface. For Z-Wave I'd probably recommend Mi Casa Verde; for Insteon, it'd be the ISY; and for UPB it'd be the Web Mountain RUC. Of course, the only one I know for sure is UPB since that's what I use; but the others are the controllers I see that seem to accomplish a nice scheduler/gateway/etc.

I still really like UPB - I'm very happy with my installation, and you can read all about it in my signature.

One thing to consider - with z-wave and Insteon (don't know about UPB) - devices repeat signal and enhance reliability. So the more devices of the same protocol you have - the better. It's fine to try different technologies but in general, it's better to stick to one once you decide.

UPB works just fine even with just 1-2 switches in the house; the devices don't need to be near each other.

I have about 80 Insteon devices and the ISY. ISY really makes Insteon. . . without it, I would say forget Insteon. Insteon will cause you a bit of frustration when it comes to finding that one or two things in your house that need filtering for the power line noise. Outside of that, it is very nice. They definitely had problems with quality in the past and a lot of people have a very bitter taste in their mouth becuase of it, but the last couple years have proved to be fine on the QC side. They did replace all of my devices for free, but I had to install them.

Anyway, Insteon switches look good, feel good, and work well. ISY offers massive programming options, especially if you go with Elk for your security. In fact, at this point I would say Elk is getting almost as much of a boost out of its functionality as Insteon as a result of ISY. There is a very big price advantage to Insteon over the other switches. I would find it very hard to justify $100/switch for upb and zwave, especially in a location that I almost don't care about, but $45 makes it pallatable (or wait till Christmas when they run the 20% sales).

I would also say you should not mix and match a bunch of brands. Pick one and go with it. It is nice to have all of your stuff look the same and work the same and will certainly cause you a lot less headache when it comes to programming.

Just to add, there's also a misconception about the cost of UPB... right now, at AutomatedOutlet.com, a Simply Automated switch is at $57; of course if you're buying multiple it's worth asking about deals (like the automatic discount they give cocoontech members).

Just to add, there's also a misconception about the cost of UPB... right now, at AutomatedOutlet.com, a Simply Automated switch is at $57; of course if you're buying multiple it's worth asking about deals (like the automatic discount they give cocoontech members).

Wow, they do have some stuff marked down. I saw some zwave stuff marked down to $30 from $130. What's up with that? That's sounds too cheap to be profitable.

Thanks guys....I think I will go for the Mi Casa Verde. It seems it will be easier for me as I don't have much experience in this field. I have seen 2 though, one is Mi casa verde Lite and then the 3. With both of them I'm capable to use my Android phone to manage the lights for example?

one last thing. As I live in Argentina, we have here 220 Volts/ 50 Hertz, so I was wondering if the Z-wave can be found for this numbers

one last thing. As I live in Argentina, we have here 220 Volts/ 50 Hertz, so I was wondering if the Z-wave can be found for this numbers

I copied the following statement from the website zwaveworld.com

There are several manufacturers of Z-Wave Lighting Products for 220V/50Hz markets. Some are ACT, Merten, Innovous, Popp Duwi, Schwiger, Selexit, and Pulse.

I copied the following statement from the website zwaveworld.com

There are several manufacturers of Z-Wave Lighting Products for 220V/50Hz markets. Some are ACT, Merten, Innovous, Popp Duwi, Schwiger, Selexit, and Pulse.
Thanks for the information...I've seen that this brands are much expensive that the ones I can find on ebay US...is it possible to use a 110 Volt and use some kind of transformer (obviously cheaper than to buy the 220 Volt one).

Back