Looking for a specific HOW-TO Elk-M1G install

El Gabito

I have searched here, avsforum, google, etc and I can't seem to find a basic how-to for how to install the elk m1g (with pictures if possible). I'm trying to figure out if it is something I can do myself. I have NEVER done anything w/ alarms in the past. I purchased a new home which is pre-wired for an alarm.

Can anybody help or does this not exist?

TIA

ELK has a dealer site as well as the consumer site. There is a link to it directly on the consumer site. On the dealer site, they have a series of training videos (look for the M1 Training Videos link on the left side of main page). They are really good and start out at square 1 and get more detailed as the series progesses.

But to make a long story short, if you have some common sense and can stick two wires on a buss bar, then you should be able to install the ELK. If you run into problems, we are here to help.

Welcome to Cocoontech!

Probably the most difficult part of installing is figuring out how to run your wire if parts of the house are finished. There are a bunch of different tricks and methods to use to do this, and depending on the specific situation, you may have to be crafty on your own accord.

I wired Cat6 to every room in a finished 2900 sq ft 4-level split. So it can be done, but sometimes you really have to get creative to figure out how to go from point A to point B without damaging anything or cutting holes that would need to be fixed.

As far as programming the ELK, the ELKRP software is really easy to use. If you're having problems programming it or want a quick runthrough of how things work in it, I can do a webex with you and show you what you need to know once you have it in.

Welcome to CT!

Definitely check out those Elk M1 training videos, but don't hesitate to post any questions you might have. No other forum has this much ELK related activity, plus the ELK engineers hang out here (and have an official subforum) and help on a regular basis.

Good luck!

I concur... I was in your boat about a month or so ago. It seemed to be a bit over-my-head when I started looking at it (mainly b/c security is something I didn't want to f-up!), but after unsuccessfully trying to find someone to install the system for me (after I had purchased it), I took a deep breath and started to do it myself.

I'm doing it rather piecemeal, but so far no real problems. It really is quite straightforward for the most part if you're already pre-wired. Wiring up the sensors, speakers and alarm keypads has been relatively painless (although a number of trips to Home Depot have been involved!) and if you start off with the simpler things, it doesn't appear to be a bad learning curve at all. One thing I definitely recommend though is using the ElkRP software to help you setup the zones etc. I've got 2 KP2 keypads and a couple of access keypads (model KP3, I think?) and using them for setup was a bit painful! Using a nice GUI was much more up my alley... hooking the M1 up to the PC was as simple as connecting a serial cable (in my case via an Edgeport/8 USB-to-Serial box) and setting up the COM port in line with the Elk directions.

Bottom line is that if you can read the directions or follow the training videos, it's really not that difficult.

Thanks guys - much appreciated. I will be sure to check out the vids and see if I can get the wife on board.

Elk needs to re-write the manual, and re-do those training videos, to reflect PC programming.

Programming from the keypads is really old school. Yeah, I know, 'real installers use the keypads'.

There should be a DIY manual, and a pro manual. DIY manual should include step by step for THE basic, minimum install. A detailed explanation of RS485, with pitfalls to avoid (including the correct locations of terminating jumpers), should follow that. More details of SAUX and VAUX should have one section. Smoke detector wiring should be 10 pages. The pros and cons of each keypad should be detailed in the manual (sales opportunity!). The proper use of EOLR's should be discussed.

Hey! I just looked through the manual, and it looks different. Theres a section on using ElkRP now! In color! Rev 1/08?

http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/M1_Installa...ming_Manual.pdf

If they made the installation appear idiot proof, DIY sales would certainly bump. The manual is kind of daunting, at first sight. I had to read the install manual 15 times before it all started to come together.

Elk needs to re-write the manual, and re-do those training videos, to reflect PC programming.

Programming from the keypads is really old school.

Don't forget there is another whole section of videos on the ELK pro site that talks about programing via the RP. I'd advise the OP (and others) to look at both video sections.

Again, it is running the wiring that is generally the hardest part. Since that has already been done, setting up the ELK M1 should be relatively easy IMHO. I wish my wiring was already run for me. ;)

I finished my Elk install a month or two ago and was in the exact same boat you are now in. (Except I had specified the wire types and runs, sensors for the installers - so I knew exactly what wires and sensors were in the closet).

The Elk is not difficult at all to install, in my opinion. I would rec reading the Elk installation manual a couple times. I wholeheartedly agree about using the RP software for programming. It is plenty intuitive.

I kept the installation PDF file open in a browser all the time for a while. Searching for bits of info (zone types, databus hub wiring schemes) in a PDF is easier than with hardcopy, IMHO.

i'm with neurorad on both points... I too had to read the manual a couple times to kinda put everything together in my head - and I've got a pretty strong background with electronics. As for getting the wife on board... if at all possible, try to avoid telling her what you're spending... and tell her that even tho it costs more up front, what you'll save on monthly fees over ADT pays for the system in no time.

Or my trick - I told my wife what the first order cost (roughly... a few hundred low) and just never mentioned the other 4 orders it took to get all the toys I wanted!

Good luck - it's really not that bad. And if the wires need to be run, you can either go wireless or consider hiring a pro just for that part... That's what I did purely because I hate attic work (more specifically, blown-in fiberglass). I then tested, terminated, and programmed everything myself.

Back