ELK M1XEP not sending emails

Peter_H

Hey Guys,

I am trying to get the M1XEP to send emails out but emails are not being sent. I have tried to use the "test" button and have also entered a rule to send an email that has been configured under email (1) when a zone becomes not secure and it is not sending emails.

I run a Windows Home Server machine so I basically have my own domain. I installed hmailserver on the WHS and configured an email account that uses port 25 to communicate. Port 25 has been forwarded out of the router from the IP of the WHS machine.

The XEP is configured w/ static IP and DNS IP addresses from my ISP, Oceanic Time Warner Cable. I am also fortunate enough that the ISP is not blocking port 25, for now. I triple checked the subnet and gateway addresses of the router and even cleared and reentered them.

The mail settings are as follows
email address: [email protected]
pop3: xxxx.homeserver.com
smtp: xxxx.homeserver.com
port: 25

hmailserver does require authentication so under that field we have.
Username: [email protected]
password: xxxxxxxxxxxx

I took these settings and entered them into outlook express on the WHS and I am able to send and receive emails without issue. I then took the settings and put them in outlook express on another machine on the lan and was able to send and receive emails without issue. Finally, I VNCed into a machine offsite, and entered the settings in outlook express and was again able to send and receive emails without issue.

I also tried entering the local IP of of the WHS into the smtp server URL field and that also did not work.

M1 is running firmware version 5.1.20
XEP is running firmware version 1.2.14

I have been working on this for 2 days and went through all 14 pages of posts that came up when I did a search on "M1XEP". Can anyone suggest what to do next to get this working?

Thanks,
Peter

First, when you are testing, you need to be disconnected from the ELk in ELKRP. the TEST feature never worked for me. i made a rule that at (time) send email. Second, i assume the Smtp is not using SSL. XEP does not support ssl email connections. thats all i can think of so far

First, when you are testing, you need to be disconnected from the ELk in ELKRP. the TEST feature never worked for me. i made a rule that at (time) send email. Second, i assume the Smtp is not using SSL. XEP does not support ssl email connections. thats all i can think of so far[/qoute]

Yes, I have setup a test rule to send emails.

Whenever zone 10 becomes not secure
Then Send email to email 1

Each time I made a change, I tested with the ElkRP using the test button just to be sure and it would not work. I would then save the changes and disconnnect from Elk RP and walk over and open the front door (zone 10) to trigger it and then walk back and check my email account for the message. I figured this was ample time for the system to save all it's settings, get the trigger event, and send the email.

Yes, I am aware of the lack of SSL support. This is why I set up my own email server. The mail account is setup to not use ssl and communicate on the standard mail port (25).

Thanks for the suggestions.

I had to use the ip address of my mail host, not their domain name mail.xxxxxx.xxx

hmm. Since the mail server is on the LAN, I tried the local ip and that didn't work.

Should i try setting up dyndns and using that to point to my mail server?

I've tried everything I can think of. I even registered a new DDNS name and entered that into the mail server. Again, it works fine on all the PC's and it does not work with the XEP.

It is definitely pointing to the XEP. I'm really surprised that there is no logging or debugging with this. What is the next step to troubleshoot?

I just use an email address from my Verizon account, entered into the XEP. Its ben working fine for over a year now. I would bet its your home server and email domain that are the problem. Try using a regular email address to the outside world and see what happens. If it works, then its probably your setup.

My verizon FIOS email account works fine also. I noticed that my username is only the username not with the @xxxxxxxxx.com. Did you try that set up by chance? (Without the xxxx.homeserver.com)

I just use an email address from my Verizon account, entered into the XEP. Its ben working fine for over a year now. I would bet its your home server and email domain that are the problem. Try using a regular email address to the outside world and see what happens. If it works, then its probably your setup.

Could be the mail server and homeserver domain. However, other computers set to use the credentials in outlook are working fine.

I would use a regular email address but all of the addresses I have require SSL which the XEP can not do. This is why I set up the mail server.

I've been having the same problem with the M1XEP unable to send email. Working the problem off & on for 2-days now.
Unable to get Gmail to work with the M1XEP (I think) due to Gmail's SSL requirement.
Tried several other email addresses. Most free email requires SSL.
Are there any free email sites that do not require SSL that we can use with the M1XEP?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Back