How do i hook this up to Elk M1? (two wire smoke detector polarity reverse module)

ahreno

Ok, so i have my final inspection tomorrow and the last thing i have to do is get my smoke detectors sounding together. Any help is gratefully appreciated.

EDIT: I took a picture with my 40d so hopefully the diagram is a bit better.

I have 2 wire smoke detectors as well as the PRM-2w which is the polarity reversing module.

Here is a (poor) image of the install diagram from the PRM-2w.

photo11.jpg

Link to full res image of installation page

I'm confused by it. T1 and T2 (3rd ad 4th screw from the left) show "To fire alarm trigger". Under "A" in the box it says "relay" and under B it says "control panel" and "+ bell -" directly under the screw drawing. Note 1 says: "the drawing above shows a bell output with a switched negative. If the bell output is a switched positive, connect the positie [+] terminal to T2"

C and NO (3rd and 4th from the right) show "to panel fire zone" Note 2 says: It is important that the zone loop on the control panel is current limited, when used with a 2 wire loop. Ensure the maximum current of the 2-wire loop on the control panel does not exceed the rating of the PRM-2w (1A @ 2Vdc).

Trigger Input Options:

A: N/O contact closure If a short circuit is detected at the trigger inputs, the module will revers the polarity on the smoke detector loop.

B: Bell Circuit Follower - If a pulsating voltage or temporal pattern is detected at the trigger input T23, the module will reverse the polarity on the smoke detector loop.

The quick, simple way to get it working is to use Option A connected to your M1 Output 3 relay.

You will need a rule that activates Output 3 whenever there is a fire alarm.

Here are specifics:

- Take input power from the M1 Aux terminals
- Connect the M1 Output 3 relay to T1 and T2, use the NO and common contacts - you will need to write a rule to activate Output 3 in event of a fire alarm
- Just forget about the Bell Circuit Follower ( option B )
- Connect C and NO to your M1 zone 16 which should be your fire zone
- Connect your smoke detectors to the P+ and P- terminals
- Looks like you need and EOL resistor across the EOLR terminals

Edit: remove the damned smiley

Thanks very much for the help. I really appreciate it.

Ok, so i turned off Elk, turned it on and brought up status screen.

Zone 16 State: EOLR (=)

held test button on smoke detector. all smoke detectors went off (and killed my ear drums)

normally they shut off after two cycles of beeps (before i got it working to sound all of them). This time they did not shut off at all. I had to hit Silence/Reset (in the alarm area of status) and/or "disarm" (i hit them both quickly to try to ease the pain to my ears).

now looking at the status i see:

Zone 16 State: Short

My rules:

Whenever any fire alarm turns on Then turn output 003 (OUt 3) On

and the second rule:

Whenever any fire alarm cuts off then turn output 003 (out 3) off

You may want to also turn relay output 3 off within a timeout or a disarm or other...?

The problem may be when the relays are reversed turning all the alarms on, I'm not sure that the single zone that caused the smoke alarm will cause the system to turn off when the smoke was cleared (just dont' understand how two alarms work when polarity reversed).

You may want to also turn relay output 3 off within a timeout or a disarm or other...?

The problem may be when the relays are reversed turning all the alarms on, I'm not sure that the single zone that caused the smoke alarm will cause the system to turn off when the smoke was cleared (just dont' understand how two alarms work when polarity reversed).

I think that whats happening is that Alarm 1 goes off, then there is a slight delay until elk tells alarms 2 and 3 to go off. Alarm one finishes it's test sequence but alarm 2 and 3 are still going off so elk doesn't know that alarm 1 is done testing.

i think that may be what you're saying?

When you get everything working, please post the solution here so others can learn from this, thanks!

Back