Is OnQ going wireless for lighting?

edge

Looks like OnQ has a new lighting technology. :huh:

Course Name:
Lighting Control Made Simple
Dates and Times:
Friday, September 11, 2009 - 2 pm-3:30 pm (26763)
Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 10 am- 11:30 am (26766)
New for CEDIA, this course will focus on the ins and outs of configuring, installing and setting up our NEW wireless lighting control system. Featuring easy-to-install RF devices that provide a competitive edge over smaller retail and DIY systems, this new offering from Legrand fits both the new home construction and retrofit market needs.

And how compatible is it with ALC, if at all?

I guess only time will tell. But my gut feeling is that it will NOT be compatible with ALC. I hope I am proved wrong, because having a wireless option that works with ALC would be perfect for my needs - especially if it had more devices it could control (like lamp modules, etc).

I was told months ago by On-q when I called for ALC support that they are coming out with a new lighting system, wireless (could be the old miro). Anyhoot, my point is they down played ALC COMPLETELY! They have ZERO plans for anything new in ALC line and acted like it was being phased out without saying exactly that. So my take it it will be gone as its the same exact scenario and attitude given to HMS panels (OEM'd HAI) before they ditched them. They all but said "phased out" on HMS panels and weeks later, poof! Gone. Look for same for ALC. IMO.

.... they down played ALC COMPLETELY! They have ZERO plans for anything new in ALC line and acted like it was being phased out without saying exactly that.

Crap! I was really looking into a phased-in ALC installation over 2-3 years. I don't want to buy a product that won't be around nor will I do anything wireless. Now back to the drawing board to look for something wired and at a reasonable price.

Crap! I was really looking into a phased-in ALC installation over 2-3 years. I don't want to buy a product that won't be around nor will I do anything wireless. Now back to the drawing board to look for something wired and at a reasonable price.

We should try to get Tony from Setnet to comment on this prediction. . .

We should try to get Tony from Setnet to comment on this prediction. . .

I met with an OnQ Vice President two weeks ago on this very topic. He traveled from PA to SC to share the future of ALC. What you heard is partially true! But the product will live on. And it will actually grow.

You will also see that OnQ Legrand will change it's name to Legrand soon. The people who will continue the ALC line are deeply rooted in the OnQ side and look forward to the future of ALC. While these players will not be known as OnQ or Legrand, they are the right people to run the ball based on their previous involvment with the product.

ALC will continue to be manufactured and there is even talk about the creation of more scene switches (possibly a touchscreen), a high wattage dimmer and a switch that handles Compact Flourescants. All warranties will be supported as before.

Since OnQ Legrand bought Vantage, they have not given much thought to ALC and less marketing support. As such, it has not grown much. Neither in market share or in the area of new products. I have recently spent time with the people who will now run the ball and am encouraged that a fine product will finally get some attention. I too will continue to play a role in the future of ALC.

Currently issues like where the molds are physically located (now located in China and Taiwan) is causing the passing of the baton to move slowly. During this transistion you will see no change to the line as relates to the shipping of products. But what you may see is less distributors stocking the product due to mis-conceptions and poor communication (what's new there).

Instead of bad news, this all came as good news to me. I am very encouraged about this as ALC will finally be allowed to breath. There are things I am not at liberty to quote, but want you all to believe that something good lay ahead.

The marketing efforts will be the biggest battle. The product suits new construction best and as you all know, there is little movement there. The technical minds that are taking over are up to the challenges of product support and development. But how the word spreads will be another issue.

If you hear little from OnQ about ALC after Cedia then you know why. Contact me, I have my thumb on the pulse.

Lastly, I am now approaching 700 switches that I myself have installed in the last 18 months. And with the exception of a few rockers that need to be reseated, there have been ZERO failures. So, the product is solid and now the future is stronger than it would have ever been with Legrand.

I will come back with more as things development. Meantime, business as usual!

Tony Stewart

But the good news is that baton is passing to some people who have been involved with the product since it's creation. All warranties will

ALC will continue to be manufactured and there is even talk about the creation of more scene switches (possibly a touchscreen), a high wattage dimmer and a switch that handles Compact Flourescants. All warranties will be supported as before.

Instead of bad news, this all came as good news to me. I am very encouraged about this as ALC will finally be allowed to breath. There are things I am not at liberty to quote, but want you all to believe that something good lay ahead.

Tony Stewart

Tony - Any talk on creating a lamp module - something that would plug into a regular plug and allow whatever is connected to be controlled via ALC? That is the biggest issue I have with ALC. I cannot rewire all the outlets that I have lamps plugged into for control via ALC switches. Most companies offer some sort of lamp module. I personally would much rather see a lamp module than a touch screen or higher rated switch.

Tony Stewart

Tony - Any talk on creating a lamp module - something that would plug into a regular plug and allow whatever is connected to be controlled via ALC? That is the biggest issue I have with ALC. I cannot rewire all the outlets that I have lamps plugged into for control via ALC switches. Most companies offer some sort of lamp module. I personally would much rather see a lamp module than a touch screen or higher rated switch.

At this stage no. However, it's time for blue sky thinking. Anytime a new product is developed it must make it's way through UL testing and that takes quite a while. xcccccccccccazdcxxz

Tony Stewart

At this stage no. However, it's time for blue sky thinking. Anytime a new product is developed it must make it's way through UL testing and that takes quite a while. xcccccccccccazdcxxz

Well, I am sure it would be very hard to create a lamp module because of the hardwired issue. I'd be statisfied with an ALC outlet that I would use to swap out a regular outlet and run a cat5e wire to. I just cannot rewire my electric lines to suddenly have switches control outlets that are not currently controlled by a switch.

Is there such thing as ALC relay (non-dimmer) switches? If so, could you put them inline somewhere, allowing you to control these outlets?

Is there such thing as ALC relay (non-dimmer) switches? If so, could you put them inline somewhere, allowing you to control these outlets?

There are, but that is still a "work around" IMHO. The true need is for a ALC outlet. In my specific case, it is a retro job, so it is nearly impossible. But even in new construction, why would you want to have to find a place to put more switches. One of the main purposes in lighting control is to reduce wall clutter, not increase it.

Yes there is a relay. But if you take it out of it's housing, it may no longer meet UL. So making it into an inline module is possible but has issues. If you want to use it as in line and keep it in it's original housing, then fine.

TS

Back