Water meter options for automation measurment

Mr Spock

For historical purposes I thought I'd update the water meter options that I found. This subject was discussed, along with AC and gas measurement, in another post Here

As of June 2009 here are the water meters I found that are appropriate for residential automation use. All of these units have mechanical displays that show the consumption with pulse outputs. If you don't mind spending a lot more (~$500), Omega also has units that output the gallon number in ASCII format.

Hayes: Out of the water meter business as of 2007. Too bad, they had nice meters with lots of options.

DLJ: Inexpensive (~$70), easily obtainable, mountable in almost any direction. Only available with 1pulse/Gallon with reed switch. The 3/4" line model part numbers are SJ50C or SJ75C depending on your desired min to max flow rates. I liked this unit, but feel 1pulse/Gallon is too course unless your a heavy user of water.

Alaxa: Inexpensive (60 euros), obtainable only in Europe (not in the US or Canada), should be mounted vertical. Only available with 1pulse/liter with reed switch. This meter's readout is in liters. The 20mm line model part number is LXSG-R20EP1.

Omega: Expensive (~$200), easily obtainable, should be mounted horizontal with register facing up. User configurable for 1pulse/10Gallons, 1pulse/Gallon, or 10pulses/Gallon. Options for reed switch or hall effect sensor (same price). The 3/4" line hall effect sensor model part number is FTB-8007B-PR. This is my favorite if you don't mind the high price.

EDIT: mounting position of Omega meter.

Is this common for meters (Omega FTB-8007B-PR) of this type to have the following warning?

These water meters are not recommended for installation indoors or anywhere leakage may cause damage.

Especially since they mention it 4 times on just that one page! I guess they don't want to be responsible for water damage and are covering their rearside.

DLJ's website says "special pulse rates are available on different style meters from over 1000 pulses per gallon to 10000 gallons per pulse." Did you contact them to see if other pulse rates were available on the models you mentioned or similar models?

DLJ's website says "special pulse rates are available on different style meters from over 1000 pulses per gallon to 10000 gallons per pulse." Did you contact them to see if other pulse rates were available on the models you mentioned or similar models?

I called them myself and they said they don't do "special pulse rates" anymore. Too bad.

It can't be that difficult to change it...from what I remember, the one I was looking into buying...was a bit expensive...BUT it was a matter of taking the face plate off, and changing a thing (technical...I know) that was attached to a gear...as the gear spun, the "thing" would tick the relay...so, by moving the "thing" it ticked faster, or slower..

I know, poor description.

--Dan

Curious as to why you want more than one pulse per gallon. Are you trying to measure water flow instead of water usage? One thing that looked good for the JDL meters is they have a "trickle indicator" that can help detect the presence of a small water leak. Also, it looks like Hays meters are still available from some places...

http://www.watertreatmentproducts.com/xcar...home.php?cat=27

I've not seen the disclaimer warning from the other manufacturers. I think sic is right, it's simply a way to protect themselves from people who hook it up wrong and flood their home.

I don't think (but not sure) the DLJ can be changed. I asked them about other pulse rate options and they say they don't do them anymore. I also asked them about being able to move or attach a magnet to the x10 wheel and they said no. They claim the plastic housing with the wheels are sealed and not user accessible. Possibly a determined hobbyist could hack into it, but I'm not going there.

The Hays and Omega are field configurable using different methods. For the Omega model, follow this link to the manual for how it's done. The Omega does appear to have a trickle indicator, they just don't advertise it.

Regarding pulse rates. Anywhere from 1pulse/Gallon to 10pulses/Gallon should be ideal for residential uses. I'm wanting to track the usage every 5 minutes so I can isolate consumption from toilet flushes, showers, dishwashing, individual sprinklers, etc. So in my case 10 pulses/Gallon is required. Of course if multiple loads run at the same time they will be summed by the meter. If all you care about is daily consumption then 1pulse/gallon will do the job.

I was supposed to get an Alaxa meter with one of the members of this forum, but he seems to have disappeared. I'm probably going to go with the Omega now.

Ira I looked at that link and they do appear to be selling them. Curious... Perhaps they bought a boat full of them.

The price is $220 and the highest output is 1pulse/10Gallons. Not a good choice.

The Omega does appear to have a trickle indicator, they just don't advertise it.

Are you thinking they have a trickle indicator based on the picture on the water meter datasheet? Maybe the dial right under the "U.S." with the triangle-shaped needle is one? The dial face pictures in the User Manual don't look the same, so it's a little confusing. Maybe one is for -PR models and the other is for -PT models. What is the "output" for the -PR (hall effect) models? Is it a momentary closing of dry contacts or is it an electrical pulse/signal?

Guess I will give them a call tomorrow.

Ira

Ira

I believe the trickle indicator is the round black "wagon wheel" looking part partially covered by the magnet in the manual, not datasheet.

Most Hall effect sensors have a built in NPN transistor with open collector on the output. This means when they trigger they momentarily short to ground, just like a reed switch. I assume this is what is in the Omega meter. If you talk with them please confirm.

I purchased two DLG 3/4" a couple of years ago for the purpose of measuring total and sprinkler water flow. I just recently installed them connecting them to a HB dual counter. They are working well at this time. Attached are some pictures. The WAF / plumbing concerns is why they were just recently installed. I have a friend whom is a plumber doing the copper stuff.

mcstemp1.jpg

main1a.jpg

main2.jpg

sprinkler1.jpg

hbdcwaterflow.jpg

Pete, I'm sending you a PM. I want to know more about your Hobby Boards pulse counters and how you interface it to HS.

Back