[Review] Simply Automated US22-40 UPB switch

electron

Administrator
Staff member
logo.png
Review: Simply Automated US22-40 UPB switch
by mustangcoupe

Simply Automated has recently released their popular US2-40 switch in a dual output version. The model # for this new version is US22-40.

[sup]Click to enlarge[/sup]​

The product specifications are as follows:
  • Dual 550 Watt Load Controls (this is a change from the initial product documentation. Initial product specs were 600 watts per channel, but this was reduced due to UL testing/compliance requirements)
  • Interchangeable 'Universal' faceplate assemblies: use any of 13 style faceplates for your custom configuration (faceplate ordered separately)
  • Intuitive rocker/button action
  • Timer Function
    • Automatically turns off load(s)
    • 15 presets, locally or scene-link controlled
  • Manual Scene-Link Modification with Rocker/Buttons
    • Add or delete devices from scene with 7 or 8 taps
    • Adjust linked devices�€™ light level and save with 7 taps
  • Thermal overload protection
  • Aesthetically pleasing Blue/Green Dual LED indicator
  • Dedicated Remote Switch (Model USR) connections: provides inexpensive 3 or more-way control option
  • Standard Faceplate Colors: White (W), Almond (A), Light Almond (LA), Ivory (I), Black (BK), Brown (BN)

The dimensions are identical to that of the single channel model at:
4.2"H x 1.7"W x 1.6"D, and about 1 ounce heavier at 4.9 oz.

Before receiving this unit I was wondering if I would need to wire two separate inputs to the switch, but opening the box and unpacking the switch there was only one set of input wires making installation less complicated, then expected.

As for wiring you have:
  • Black AC Line
  • White AC Neutral
  • Brown Load 1
  • Red Load 2
  • White/Brown Traveler 1
  • White/Red Traveler 2

Also to my surprise my current version (version 5.0 Build 69) of UPStart already supported this device. Keep in mind that it takes 5 taps to enter setup mode, and 5 taps to exit (versus the standard 5 taps to enter, and 2 taps to exit).

You have separate tabs in UPStart to configure the links for each channel.
Here you either need to know which channel was what (as the wired are labeled LOAD 1 and LOAD 2, but the software calls it Channel 1 and 2) so I took a stab at it assuming Load 1 was Channel 1, and I was correct.

They did combine the transmit channels into one tab, as found on single load switches.

One thing I did notice while there are 2 status LED�'s there is only 1 configuration setting for the status light but is not configurable per channel. You have the option of no status light, Blue or Green. The LED color like other Simply Automated switches can be configured to be either of the three options when the load is on or off. But that configuration once set is the same for both channels.

Dimming can be configured per channel so in my install I configured one channel as dimmable (light) and the other as not dimmable (ceiling fan).

This unit also has a timer function, which automatically turns off the switch after a preset time period elapses (15 preset selectable times can be set from 1 second all the way up to 4 hrs. Configurable in UPStart, the timer function can also be turned off to act as a standard ON/OFF switch. You can also adjust the local response time, allowing you to eliminate the delay between activating the switch, and the load turning on.

I also had a bit of confusion while in UPStart (and this is a problem with UPStart not the US22-40). If either channel is turned on, it is indicated in the UPStart software by making the switch appear yellow, if both channels are turned on the indication is the same, if ONE of these loads are turned OFF, UPStart indicated it by removing the yellow coloring which may not the case ONE load can still be on. This may be fixed in a later UPStart build, but currently there is not another version available on the SAI website, if not lets hope it is on the radar as I was confused why it was showing the switch was off but I knew it had one output still turned on.

Conclusion

Overall I was impressed with the product. I personally can see this switch be very useful for existing single gang installations where you would like to have local control of multiple loads. Otherwise in a new installation it is just as easy to install a double gang box and two US2-40 switches.

The only downsides I see to the product is the single Status Light configuration, some people may want to configure each load separately.

User Guide: View attachment 452_0022_0101RevB_US22_40_UserGuide_090114a.pdf
Data Sheet: View attachment Datasheet_US22_40_090114.pdf

Make sure you study the complicated de-rating chart for this device. If I read it right, this device could be limited to 350 watts TOTAL for both channels. I am not sure if a US22-40 counts as 1 or 2 dimmers in that chart.

Well, electrically, it is obviously two dimmers since the loads can be individually dimmed. And each would produce heat. So I dunno...

so I asked SAI this question and here is their response

Good question. The US22-40 is considered 1 dimmer.
550W per side.

Ken Boehme
Tech Support
Simply Automated Inc.

Another thing I want to note is that lastnight I pressed both switches at once and nothing happened... I don't know what happens if you press multiple buttons on a us2-40 switch but it caught me off guard. But pressing them one at a time and it worked no problem.

so I asked SAI this question and here is their response

Good question. The US22-40 is considered 1 dimmer.
550W per side.

Ken Boehme
Tech Support
Simply Automated Inc.

Another thing I want to note is that lastnight I pressed both switches at once and nothing happened... I don't know what happens if you press multiple buttons on a us2-40 switch but it caught me off guard. But pressing them one at a time and it worked no problem.

FYI

I just got off the phone with Ken at SA and he said that they beleive that they can solve the 2 button press issue in the future.

Dave

I beleive that Insteon has the same issue. If you press to buttons at the same time on a keypadlinc or adjacent switches etc the messages collide (or something to that effect). Maybe they need to put one in the queue or repeat them etc.

I beleive that Insteon has the same issue. If you press to buttons at the same time on a keypadlinc or adjacent switches etc the messages collide (or something to that effect). Maybe they need to put one in the queue or repeat them etc.

Digger,

This has never been a problem with UPB as each device looks for UPB signals or noise before sending. If it sees "interference" it holds the command in a buffer. The issue they are working on is within a single device when two buttons are pressed at the same time.

Dave

I got another email from Ken at SAI, and he said I could post it here....

The firmware is not field upgradable. The processor requires special
hardware and software to access the memory locations involved.

I cannot give you a time table for any updates to the US22-40.
It is a new product and we are currently collecting a list of inputs from
our customers as well as our internal staff.
You are the first customer to provide this particular feedback.
I think most folks have accepted the current operation because that's the
way it's always been. I think it would be nice if you could send a pair of
links from the same switch too. This would be quite an innovation. Up till
now, with the US2-40, the electronic design wouldn't allow it and the flash
memory was too small to support it. Now that we have some additional memory
space and an electronic architecture that is a bit more flexible we can
implement some additional features.

Currently you can just create a link and assign a button on the transmit
side, put the link in both the rx tables and you've got yourself a "both"
button.

For now we are greater than 90days out with any change to this product so
it's a little early to come up with update times and costs etc.
We would, most likely, handle this firmware update as we would any other
enhancement. We would reprogram the units for some amount of money that we
feel is reasonable for the time and effort involved.

Digger,

This has never been a problem with UPB as each device looks for UPB signals or noise before sending. If it sees "interference" it holds the command in a buffer. The issue they are working on is within a single device when two buttons are pressed at the same time.

Dave

Actually, pressing two buttons at the same time or too fast one after the other one (in the same device) is the only situation were I'm a little unhappy with my UPB dimmers. Whenever I do this, none of the lights turn on. I have to press one button and wait for the light to start dimming up before pressing the second one.

As said above, this could be a problem of the single device not being able to queue local commands internally. I have not tried pressing the button of two different device switches at the same time.

Actually, pressing two buttons at the same time or too fast one after the other one (in the same device) is the only situation were I'm a little unhappy with my UPB dimmers. Whenever I do this, none of the lights turn on. I have to press one button and wait for the light to start dimming up before pressing the second one.

As said above, this could be a problem of the single device not being able to queue local commands internally. I have not tried pressing the button of two different device switches at the same time.

I completely agree that they missed the boat on that one. If I hit both switch I want both lights to come on. They could solve this several ways but it should at least be an option. SAI in particular prides themselves on switches that have multi-toggle and multi-button interfaces.

They should at least handle it in a reasonable way. Doing nothing when two buttons are pressed is not reasonable!

I completely agree that they missed the boat on that one. If I hit both switch I want both lights to come on. They could solve this several ways but it should at least be an option. SAI in particular prides themselves on switches that have multi-toggle and multi-button interfaces.

They should at least handle it in a reasonable way. Doing nothing when two buttons are pressed is not reasonable!

When SAI was developing this 2 load switch they changed to new internal hardware with increased capacity for features.

When I installed my first UPB system several years ago I complained to SAI about the button push problem and they said there was no way (then) to fix it.

Now they have switch hardware that can handle additional features. They are working on "the fix" on this switch. It is likely that this new hardware will find it's way into other SAI products.

Dave

Back