HAI OPII output state on power cycle?

js19707

I have the bell wire for my garage door opener switch wired to the NO and COM terminals of an ELK 960 delay timer (set to 1 sec) and the trigger is wired to an output of my HAI OPII.

I have a button and accompanying line of programming which says:

WHEN <BUTTON>: <OUTPUT> ON FOR 1 SECOND

This setup works fine, but i've noticed if i remove and restore power (and battery) from my panel, the garage door opens. I'm guessing the HAI is triggering the delay timer as part of some startup sequence.. is this true? if so, any suggestions for how I would make this more robust?

For now, i've added additional lines of programming to notify me if the door is open "too long" and/or to auto-close if the HAI is armed.

I have the bell wire for my garage door opener switch wired to the NO and COM terminals of an ELK 960 delay timer (set to 1 sec) and the trigger is wired to an output of my HAI OPII.

I have a button and accompanying line of programming which says:

WHEN <BUTTON>: <OUTPUT> ON FOR 1 SECOND

This setup works fine, but i've noticed if i remove and restore power (and battery) from my panel, the garage door opens. I'm guessing the HAI is triggering the delay timer as part of some startup sequence.. is this true? if so, any suggestions for how I would make this more robust?

For now, i've added additional lines of programming to notify me if the door is open "too long" and/or to auto-close if the HAI is armed.
The OmniPro II will restore the voltage outputs to their states prior to the power failure. There may be a brief period of time after powerup before the output states are restored. Normally, the outputs will be off prior to restoration. It's possible that the Elk 960 is triggering due to the power transition. You may want to verify that the Elk 960 is configured properly to avoid false triggering on power-up. The trigger polarity and initial relay state on the Elk 960 can be configured.

Why even bother with the 960? Doesn't the OP simply support a relay open/close? All you need to do is turn on the relay for 1 sec to toggle the door open/close/ Everyone with an Elk does it that way, nobody uses the 960 for it.

You may want to verify that the Elk 960 is configured properly to avoid false triggering on power-up. The trigger polarity and initial relay state on the Elk 960 can be configured.

thanks. i checked the jumpers on my ELK 960, and confirmed that I have them set as follows:

JP2 : 1-SHOT = Relay activates only once per trigger.
JP3 : BEGIN = Relay turns on when triggered and back off when delay time expires.
JP4 : B = Delay time starts when trigger is first applied.
JP5 : + = Selects positive polarity for the input trigger.

based upon your description of what happens when the panel powers up, this sounds correct. or did i misunderstand?

Why even bother with the 960? Doesn't the OP simply support a relay open/close? All you need to do is turn on the relay for 1 sec to toggle the door open/close/ Everyone with an Elk does it that way, nobody uses the 960 for it.

yeah.. when I wired this up I had an ELK 960 sitting around but not a run of the mill relay. I also wasn't sure at the time if I could just turn the output on for 1 sec.

You may want to verify that the Elk 960 is configured properly to avoid false triggering on power-up. The trigger polarity and initial relay state on the Elk 960 can be configured.

thanks. i checked the jumpers on my ELK 960, and confirmed that I have them set as follows:

JP2 : 1-SHOT = Relay activates only once per trigger.
JP3 : BEGIN = Relay turns on when triggered and back off when delay time expires.
JP4 : B = Delay time starts when trigger is first applied.
JP5 : + = Selects positive polarity for the input trigger.

based upon your description of what happens when the panel powers up, this sounds correct. or did i misunderstand?
Perhaps you could trigger on the trailing edge of the pulse by changing JP5 to negative polarity. This might eliminate the false triggering on power-up.

Perhaps you could trigger on the trailing edge of the pulse by changing JP5 to negative polarity. This might eliminate the false triggering on power-up.

Thanks Brian. I forgot to post back here after trying your suggestion. Unfortunately, it still displays the same behavior even after changing JP5--a complete power cycle of the panel causes the ELK 960 to trigger. At this point, should I just swap out the ELK-960 for an ELK-912 or HAI 4-relay module?

I'm not sure why using the Elk 960 isn't working. I don't think you'd have any trouble with the HAI 4-relay module. Although you can do an "on for 1 second" command, the current controller firmware will actually turn the output on for anywhere between 0.0 and 1.0 seconds. The next update of the controller firmware will improve this so that "on for 1 second" will turn the output on for 0.5-1.5 seconds. For now, you may want to use "on for 2 seconds" which will turn the output on for 1.0-2.0 seconds. This will give you more reliable triggering.

I can confirm that the 8 relay board for the Omni works great and reliably for triggering a garage door, I did have to set it for 2 sec on as 1 sec was about 95% reliable, at 2 sec it is 100%.

I'm not sure why using the Elk 960 isn't working. I don't think you'd have any trouble with the HAI 4-relay module. Although you can do an "on for 1 second" command, the current controller firmware will actually turn the output on for anywhere between 0.0 and 1.0 seconds. The next update of the controller firmware will improve this so that "on for 1 second" will turn the output on for 0.5-1.5 seconds. For now, you may want to use "on for 2 seconds" which will turn the output on for 1.0-2.0 seconds. This will give you more reliable triggering.

just reporting back: i finally got hold of an HAI 10A07-1 4 relay module and just wired it in place of the ELK 960, and it appears to do the right thing; when i powered the panel back up, the garage door stayed shut :blink:

thanks for your help!

Back