UPB Lighting Issue (Omni Pro II)

ComponY

Hey guys! I have a client thats had UPB for awhile and most of it still works. However, recently, a couple areas of the house arent communicating anymore. I tried the simple and less cost effective thing (replace a switch), and I couldnt even learn it in because the communication wasnt there. Most lights in the house work with PCAccess or Snap-Link, but some switches dont.

Its a one phase house so I know a coupler wouldnt do the trick, but would the UPB Split-Phase Repeater do anything? It says split phase so Im not sure if it requires multiple phases or if its able to boost one phase.

Like I mentioned... In the past it worked great, but over time, its beginning to work less and less. Any ideas?

A split-phase repeater is for a typical house that has two phases 180 degrees apart. This is what all houses have in the US.  In some condo and commercial builds you see three-phase, so they need a three-phase repeater, but not likely you.  So YES a split-phase repeater will work, as will a coupler, but not as well. The only exception is with Simply Automated switches which don't support newer generation switches, and repeaters.  With those switches only a coupler works. If you have SA switches AND others, you can use a coupler AND split-phase repeater together. If you don't have SA switches, then a split-phase-repeater is the way to go, and should be on ALL UPB installs if you don't want callbacks.

The repeater is the way to go, but it doesn't hurt to track down "problem appliances" in the area not working. Some microwaves, plasma TVs and UPS power supplies can cause problems. Ask the clients if they have gotten any of these recently.  If so, filters can help with that appliance.

ano said:
A split-phase repeater is for a typical house that has two phases 180 degrees apart. This is what all houses have in the US.  In some condo and commercial builds you see three-phase, so they need a three-phase repeater, but not likely you.  So YES a split-phase repeater will work, as will a coupler, but not as well. The only exception is with Simply Automated switches which don't support newer generation switches, and repeaters.  With those switches only a coupler works. If you have SA switches AND others, you can use a coupler AND split-phase repeater together. If you don't have SA switches, then a split-phase-repeater is the way to go, and should be on ALL UPB installs if you don't want callbacks.

The repeater is the way to go, but it doesn't hurt to track down "problem appliances" in the area not working. Some microwaves, plasma TVs and UPS power supplies can cause problems. Ask the clients if they have gotten any of these recently.  If so, filters can help with that appliance.

Thanks very much! I'll try the repeater and see if that works. What kinds of filters are good for this type of stuff?

As Ano mentions a split phase repeater should fix your issue.  

I concur that you should find out where the noise is on the power line. 

Your issue with noise can be an issue even though you are using a UPB repeater.  

Upstart will be your friend. 

Do an audit of all of the switches and powerlevels and noise if you can.  Save the audit for your records.

Start with the UPB PIM location. Sometimes it is noise and sometimes it is just a poor signal relating to something doing the signal sucking.

I have seen one UPB powerline filter for sale on Amazon.

PCS PulseWorx UPB Plug-In PowerLine Filter, 5A (PLF-5)

I have a PCS and SA phase coupler in place but only using the HAI/PCS phase repeater.

If you are not familiar with playing in the fuse panel then I would recommend getting an electrician to help you.

Baby steps and be carefull doing this and do not share the phase coupler or phase repeater wires with other circuits if you can do this.

Here using split breakers to add my PCS / SA phase couplers and PCS/HAI phase repeater.

I can send you pictures as I have left my panel open here.

Will post pictures shortly.

Recently added a new surge protector and went from using 2 30 AMP breakers to 2 40 AMP breakers.

PCS sells a few filters, I think a 5A and a 20A. They are pretty pricey.  Simply Automated used to have one but most things say its unavailable. They are also not terribly hard to make if you are handy.  You are just building a low-pass filter.  You want to pass the power (60hz) and want to block the high-freq. noise, so your basically keeping the noise off your powerline. Good to do even without UPB.

Here a few pictures.  Note that not sure if you can utilize split breakers where you are at. 

There are no loads on the HAI/PCS repeater or PCS/SA phase couplers.

HAI-SA.jpg

Back