POE as a source for 1wire power injector?

ksdehoff

Hello all.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using power over ethernet as a power source for any of the 1wire sensors.  The power supplies I usually use are around 15v but several inexpensive POE splitters such as trendnet TPE-104s (on amazon for 20) provide 12v.  I would think this should work well -even if they are power limited (5-15 watts).

I assume you want to do this because you already have a POE main switch/router and don't have a spare wire on the cable you are using to carry the 1-wire data & ground?  That trendnet adapter has a selectable output voltage down to 5v so it should work as long as you stay within the specs of the sensors you are using but it seems there are few situations in which it would be the best option.

You really haven't given enough info on why or what you are trying to do.

HB already has a POE-like wiring scheme.

hbrj45.jpg

The easiest thing to do is to get a HB power injector (or 4 port hub) and a power supply and you're done.

Like az said, you'd have to run a cable from your POE switch to the spliiter, take the power out from the spliiter and splice it into the 1wire cable or connect to the device.  Seems like a lot of extra work.

Yeah here I keep my 1-wire network(s) separate mostly because of the different power supplies and not wanting to run multiple voltages on one cat5e.

I have found that the Midon combo temperature and humdity sensors have worked better for me than the HB combo humidity and temperature sensors with consistant premature failures occurring with the HB combo sensors placed indoors and outdoors.  But that is me and my personal experience.

My 1-2 parasitic networks with very old AAG combo sensors are still working the best and never touched.

Back