Leviton Email Notifier

brad64

I am configuring the email notifier board. I am signed up with Leviton Cloud services. However, when i try to log into LCS with the PC Access i get the following error:

Unexpected error: the underlying connection was closed an unexpected error occurred on a send

It seems as though it is an issue with TLS but I'm not sure. I updated my .Net to the latest version. Any one figured this out?

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum @brad64.

There are Cocoontech forum users with this board / OmniPro 2 panel that are using the email board with no issues and they will chime in.

Personally never purchased one and continue to utilize my alarm service company (which is closing it's doors) for notifications. 

1 - I also utilize automation software connected to the panel.
2 - STunnel which I have used now for some 20 years which runs on the automation server. 

Not sure what you mean by mentioning your update to .Net and its relation to the email notifier board.  The board itself is very primitive and never really has been updated for current standards of email.  The work arounds have been to utilize the Leviton email server or aux automation software or using STunnel.  Here utilize GMail / MSN Mail for notifications via text or email.

It looks like Leviton changed the URL it uses to parse the notifier login from the Dealer PC Access software. Email them and they'll send you an updated version that correctly authenticates. Otherwise, you're not going to be able to authenticate to the leviton cloud.

pete_c said:
1 - I also utilize automation software connected to the panel.

2 - STunnel which I have used now for some 20 years which runs on the automation server. 
Pete,
What "automation software" are you using for this feature? I also use stunnel for many years and would love to hear about a solution that doesn't involve the Levition notifier board...
Thanks

Using Homeseer Omni plugin and Home Assistant Omnilink and MQTT and STunnel on an Intel micro pc.

Email is GMail.

Either will do status emails.  Both can run on an RPi.

I've been using SMTP2Go since 2017. They are changing their system and require me to have a DNS service that works with their stuff. I'm on Comcast and that isn't one of of them. They seem to indicate I could add a different DNS like Cloudflare but that didn't get me anywhere.

So I'm trying to use the Leviton Cloud and got the same error message "unexpected error....."
I left VM with Leviton but no response. Can anyone point me forward?

Can't you just send the email via your ISP's SMTP server?
This is the email module on the Omnipro II that currently sends thru SMTP2Go. They are changing their security and need to have some CNAME records in the DNS server.

Leviton doesn't support the Omnipro II anymore but they had installed a work around at some point that works for some people but not for me or the first poster.

Does it only work with the smpt2go service, or any smtp service? Although for custom domains, creating the proper DNS records is ready as well if that's the only issue with smpt2go.

The email notifier for the Omnipro II does not require a Leviton mail server, but they did provide one if you wanted it, and apparently its no longer in service. I personally have never used it. However ANY smtp mail service will work, as long as encryption isn't required. You can typically tell if encryption is required or not by the port. Port 587 is typically encrypted, port 25 is not. Today, most, but not all, require encryption. For many years I had Hostgator host my domain, and encryption was not required to send email. Hostgator

You can get an email plan starting at $3.75/month that includes email not requiring encryption. There likely are many others that DON'T require encryption. Another alternative is find some software that add email encryption, using maybe a Raspberry Pi. I thought Google was still allowing you to turn off the email encryption requirement, but I'm not sure that is still true. So search around. Again, typically, if they use smtp port 25, it is not encrypted, and it will work.

I still utilize STunnel here with GMail on Ubuntu Linux and it works great.

SMTP Server:127.0.0.1
SMTP Server Port (default=25):25

Just point the Leviton Email board to computer running STunnel.

Last edited:
Back