LCD Driver with 16x2 Display

kf4hzu

Hello all,

I recently purchased the assembled LCD Driver module and 16x2 Display. I am using the latest OWFS (2.4p4). When I send the clear command the screen does seem to clear, but there is no cursor displayed. If I send the home command then the cursor will blink at character 16 on line 1. It may be that OWFS needs to be reprogrammed to work properly with the 16x2 display, but I checked it against the java code provided at hobby-boards.com and everything matches (yep I know C).

I'm not sure what I could do to debug this problem, since all other 1-wire devices I have work just fine. I am using a regular serial master. I was looking forward to writing up a small application to scan the 1-wire network and display a condensed version of the weather data on the LCD.

If I do get any output at all (by trying different amounts of text to "screen") its just garbage and doesn't relate to what I type in at all. If I didn't know better, I'd think the driver is using a different baud rate then the screen (thats what it looks like).

Ok, I finally figured out how to properly compile the java code and form it in to a jarfile (not a java programmer *G*). The LCD seems to work, but it is far from relyable when outputting data to it. 80% of the time the full text display does not print properly. I just have a short (2ft) cable connecting directly to the LCD from the USB 1-wire adaptor I'm using on my laptop. The adaptor works just fine with all other 1-wire devices for read and write including large tag files.

This is a series of commands I ran and their output:

Code:
C:\Temp>java -classpath LCDTest.jar;OneWireAPI.jar com.electronicvisions.onewire.LCDTester
Device ID = AD00000021664081
Device ID = 7F00000000696C29
outputByte could not write to the device byte: 120

This resulted in the test message being displayed properly.

Code:
C:\Temp>java -classpath LCDTest.jar;OneWireAPI.jar com.electronicvisions.onewire.LCDTester
Output # 1
Output # 2
Output # 3
Output # 4
Output # 5
Output # 6
Reinitializing the display **********************************
Reinitializing the display **********************************

This resulted in "115" being displayed at position 1x1 (upper left hand corner).

Code:

Cleared the screen, but no output.

Any advice would be helpful. I have the feeling that the screen or driver may be defective.

Back