IR trouble - 1 Zone

pete_c

Guru
Just noticed last night at 0300 that I am having "IR Trouble" with one IR sensor. This trouble actually woke us up. Other than installing a EOL resistor nothing else has changed. I am seeing a reading of 152 versus 149 on the other sensors. Right after install of the EOL resistor it "was" at 149 versus current of 152.

Questions:
1 - What would this be indicatory of? Its happened while I have been at home. The sensor is in an active zone.
2 - Would this "IR Trouble" trigger the alarm?

basementir.jpg

OK - so I soldered the EOL resistor instead of just having it twisted on in series. My value changed to 148-149. I see now why the use of 22/4 is advocated for an IR sensor than the use of Cat5. The Cat5 solid wire does appear to be more brittle than the 22/2 stranded wire that I used for my door/window switches. I have some questions relating to this endeavor. I decided to review my EOL in all of my IR sensors and noticed that the "twisting" of the resistors in place didn't work too well as each one of them kind of fell out of place. Its nice to have a little portable very small soldering mini-torch. I did solder all of my doors and windows EOLs in place.

Questions continued:
3 - Was this value of 152 causing the "IR Trouble code" on my OmniProII board?
4 - I soldered and put heat shrink tubing over the resistor in question, is this practice suggested?
5 - For IR's all of my resistors are in series with the COM side terminals. Is it recommended that the EOL resistors be on the COM side of IR switches or NC side or does it even matter?

basementir2.jpg

I have another IR sensor thats sitting around 149-150. The 150 value is of concern, should it be?

After my little zone wiring endeavor I wonder why anyone into HA would only have 3-4 zones in their home with a do nothing cheap alarm panel. I remember my old home in the 1980's using a panel with TTS and having something like 48 zones each tied to a voice prompt.

Back