HB - DS2438 Solar Voltage/current monitors

EL34

Hey Eric,
Thanks for the DS2438's and other parts.
I built 3 boards using your DS2438's that are monitoring my solar experiment.

Had to cut the PC boards on my CNC machine.
I used regular full sized resistors and caps cause I sell them and had them on hand.
Besides, dealing with those surface mount parts will drive you to drinkin. :blink:

Thanks again, it all worked out great. here's a page with some shots of my experiment.
http://www.el34world.com/Misc/Solar/Solar1.htm

Next, I'm gonna build some One Wire relay boards to control the loads.

Eric,
I chopped your old 4 relay schematic for only two relays and a single relay version

Looks to me like the 2406 is switching the +5 volts back and forth beween pin 3 on the two 2405's
Then the 2405's switch on and provides a path to ground which in turn switches on the 2n4403 transistor so current flows through the relay coil.

If You wanted a simple 1 relay version of this, you don't need the 2406.
Just switch on a single 2405 as in my drawing?

Does the single relay version look ok?

I gotta get some 2405's, 2406's and some more DS2438's to build more boards.

Attachments

• Relay1.gif
    Relay1.gif
    34.4 KB · Views: 193
  • Relay2.gif
    Relay2.gif
    61.9 KB · Views: 149
Eric,
I chopped your old 4 relay schematic for only two relays and a single relay version

Looks to me like the 2406 is switching the +5 volts back and forth beween pin 3 on the two 2405's
Then the 2405's switch on and provides a path to ground which in turn switches on the 2n4403 transistor so current flows through the relay coil.

If You wanted a simple 1 relay version of this, you don't need the 2406.
Just switch on a single 2405 as in my drawing?

Does the single relay version look ok?

I gotta get some 2405's, 2406's and some more DS2438's to build more boards.

The relay uses either the DS2406 or the DS2405 not both together. They provide the same function except that the DS2406 has two output instead of one.

Eric

Ah, ok.
I was going off of your old 4 relay pdf schematic which shows 2 x 2406's and 4 x 2405's being used on the same board.

Looks like the 2405's are not available any more and are being replaced by the 2413

Ah, ok.
I was going off of your old 4 relay pdf schematic which shows 2 x 2406's and 4 x 2405's being used on the same board.

Looks like the 2405's are not available any more and are being replaced by the 2413

The schematic showed both the DS2406 and DS2405 but only one type should be installed.

I have not played with the DS2413 yet but I think it is a drop-in replacement for the DS2405 except that it has 2 I/O lines.

Eric

Hi guys,

Any chance that your new PV monitor board will go commercial so us guys with no PCB experience can have one?

thanks

Dan

I assume that the DS2438 can cope with +ve and -ve currents? Since some times the batteries will be sourcing power and other times being charged?

thanks

Dan

I assume that the DS2438 can cope with +ve and -ve currents? Since some times the batteries will be sourcing power and other times being charged?

thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,
according my knowledge that is possible, but that doesnt extend measuring range 0 - 0.25 V , only what is change is highest bit in Vsens register.

Dubravko

Hi Dan,
according my knowledge that is possible, but that doesnt extend measuring range 0 - 0.25 V , only what is change is highest bit in Vsens register.

Dubravko

I am not sure what you mean. Are you saying that you cannot measure a -0.25V < x < +0.25V range then?

Hi Dan,

Dubravko

I am not sure what you mean. Are you saying that you cannot measure a -0.25V < x < +0.25V range then?

You can , but from AD converter part it is only 0-0.25V (register change highest bit if you change polarity on connectors ). Indirectly that mean AD converter dosnt measure voltage difference of 0.5V (that have impact of measuring precision and reading value) .

Regards,
Dubravko

Thanks Dubravko. It sounds like this is not a good solution then for State-of-Charge monitoring. What would you recommend - building a sensor using a PIC microctroller with 1-wire software perhaps?

Thanks Dubravko. It sounds like this is not a good solution then for State-of-Charge monitoring. What would you recommend - building a sensor using a PIC microctroller with 1-wire software perhaps?

Hi Dan,

I suggest that you open new thread with list of feature You like to have, it will be easy to continue discussion :p ... PIC or AVR will be fine, I also searching for some good software and implemetation, I found some library for microBasic and 1-wire.

Dubravko

hello everyone.
can someody tell that is possible to use ds2438 to monitor bateries of different chemistry (li-ion, nicd, nimh) ta the same time?

thanks

Back