Activating garage door

So yes a simple relay short works fine for open/close and I found 2 seconds latch instead of 1 for reliability as 1 sec would not be detected occasionally with my Omni relays.

Justin

There's where the open and close contact sensors help, to know if your open command took hold or not. Gotta love feedback!

thanks for all the reassurances, everyone! I'll happily and carelessly short those wires! :blink:

So yes a simple relay short works fine for open/close and I found 2 seconds latch instead of 1 for reliability as 1 sec would not be detected occasionally with my Omni relays.

Justin

There's where the open and close contact sensors help, to know if your open command took hold or not. Gotta love feedback!

thanks for all the reassurances, everyone! I'll happily and carelessly short those wires! :blink:

I have magnetic sensors too, but instead of writing some sort of watchdog program to detect when a 1 sec relay didn't activate the door, I just upped it to 2 sec and it has never failed to initiate the door since, and if it ever doesn't work I can always hit the G1 run button again on my iPhone to try again as I used to when 1 sec didn't take :p.

Justin

Thanks to everyone who replied in this thread. I am going to give this Rosslare Weigand keypad a try. This setup is far more diificult to try than a simple wireless garage door opener keypad, but I like the programmability and sophistication of a Weigand entry keypad.

Thanks to everyone who replied in this thread. I am going to give this Rosslare Weigand keypad a try. This setup is far more diificult to try than a simple wireless garage door opener keypad, but I like the programmability and sophistication of a Weigand entry keypad.

CORT,

I've setup a couple of the Rosslare Weigand keypads with the Elk. It can be a bit tricky the first time. Feel free to PM me if you get stuck.

Zac

I am going to give this Rosslare Weigand keypad a try.

What will you interface that keypad to? I don't think it can control the relay directly, but may be wrong in that assumption.

I hope that the Rosslare Weigand output will interface with Elk's M1KP2 Weigand input.

CORT,

I've setup a couple of the Rosslare Weigand keypads with the Elk. It can be a bit tricky the first time. Feel free to PM me if you get stuck.

Zac

Thank you for the offer. I must say that I am not sure where to start as I haven't reviewed the instructions for the keypad yet. I assume that I program the Rosslare keypad 1st with a new master code and pin(s). Then program the M1 to acknowledge the keypad, and finally setup rules for what to do with access activation.

I am curious to know how you've wired the tamper sensor(s) on the Rosslare keypad(s). too.

I assume that I program the Rosslare keypad 1st with a new master code and pin(s). Then program the M1 to acknowledge the keypad, and finally setup rules for what to do with access activation.

I am curious to know how you've wired the tamper sensor(s) on the Rosslare keypad(s). too.

You don't actually program any codes into the reader, it's just a pass through to the Elk. There is a setup routine for the Rosslare reader that allows you to define which format the PIN and prox will be output in. I haven't used the specific model that you purchased, but they all seem to be pretty similar. Just make certain that the prox output is set to 26-Bit Wiegand, and that the PIN is using "4 Keys Binary + Facility Code, 26-Bit Wiegand". The Elk should be set to the default of 4 digit access codes rather than the optional 6 digit ones.

Whenever you present a prox card, or after 4th digit of a PIN, it will transmit the entire string along with the facility code to the ELK in a 12 digit hex format. You can't just type in a code for the prox fobs. The easiest way to learn a new code is to create a new user, select the "User has an access credential" option for that user, and then present the fob to the read in the code. Below is an excerpt from the Elk docs that describe the enrollment process.

From Elk said:
Each prox card/fob must be enrolled into a User Code location, using the same procedures that are used to add/change User Code PINs.
1. On the Keypad, press the center ELK key.
2. Press 6 to jump directly to Menu 06 - Change User Codes OR Use the UP or DOWN arrow keys to scroll to the menu.
3. Press the RIGHT arrow key to select Menu 6. Enter a Master user code (PIN) to gain access to this menu.
4. Use the UP or DOWN arrow keys to scroll to the User Code location (001 to 099) where the Prox card/fob is to be enrolled. OR enter the three digit number, i.e., 050 for User 50.
5. Select CHG by pressing the RIGHT arrow key.
6. The keypad will display the existing 4 or 6 digit code that is programmed for this user along with any programmed name.
7. Place a new (not previously enrolled) prox card/fob near the UltraProx Wiegand Reader. The nominal read range is approximately 3" from the front surface. The clam-shell type prox cards generally have a better read range than fobs.
8. If the keypad accepts the new prox card/fob, it will beep 3 times and display a 12 digit code, which is part of the ID stored in the card/fob. If the keypad rejects the prox card/fob, it will produce a low error tone and display: Code Not Authorized, Redo The reject error may be caused by:
A. The card or fob has already been enrolled (the M1 does not allow duplicate codes) OR
B. The facility code stored in the prox card/fob does not match the ELK facility code. The UltraProx Wiegand Reader can only read cards/fobs which have the matching facility code.
9. After a prox card/fob has been enrolled into a user code location, its capabilities are set by the User Code Options found in Menu 02 of the M1 Installer Level Programming. The most common of these options are:
- Arm the M1 Control.
- Disarm the M1 Control.
- Access - Trip output to de-energize a lock **
** The activation assignment for M1 Outputs requires the Whenever/And/Then Rules programming of the Elk-RP Software. The following example is a rule to activate Output 003 for 10 seconds when a valid prox card/fob (with Access Option enabled) is presented at Keypad 01. The output could be used to break or make power to a door strike.
WHENEVER Keypad 01 Access is Activated
THEN Turn On Output 003 for 10 seconds.

The same process can be used for learning new PIN codes. Instead of presenting the fob in step 7 above, just enter the desired PIN. You can also take different actions for different users by programming rules such as:
WHENEVER ACCESS Keypad 01
AND Last User Was User 01
THEN Do Something

The tamper switch can be connected to a zone input. Many of the Elk keypads have a supervised input located directly on the keypad itself for those sorts of connections.

very nice post. I have a AYF64, but no manual. Do you know how I can get one? (the rosslare site is password protected for manuals...seems dumb)

I use a Rosslare AYF64 hooked up to an ELK-M1KAM. Then I wired an output from the elk directly to the garage door opener.

Pic

Thanks. I hooked it up my keypad OK (+, NEG, D0, D1). I then created a user and used this page to get the HEX number: http://cimmino.org/elk/

I then armed the system, typed in the 4 diget code that I entred above...and nothing. What am I doing wrong?

- Do I have to configure the AY? (I seems implied in the thread above)
- What is the "site code" from http://cimmino.org/elk/ ... does it apply here?

Thanks. I hooked it up my keypad OK (+, NEG, D0, D1). I then created a user and used this page to get the HEX number: http://cimmino.org/elk/

I then armed the system, typed in the 4 diget code that I entred above...and nothing. What am I doing wrong?

- Do I have to configure the AY? (I seems implied in the thread above)
- What is the "site code" from http://cimmino.org/elk/ ... does it apply here?

There is some programming/setup that needs to be done in the keypad as well. Attached is the manual for the AYG64 (which should be identical other than the physical key arrangement), that includes the steps for programming. Specifically, you'll need to change the keypad transmission format to option #4 "4 Keys Binary + Facility Code, 26-Bit Wiegand", which is not the default. Keep the proximity card transmission format at the default of 26-Bit Wiegand. This manual will also tell you how to set the facility code if you want to use something other than the default of 0.

Site code is just an identifier that allows a controller to know which location or site a code is received from. Remember that this technology comes from the commercial world, so if you have a large building or collection of buildings with multiple readers that all run from a central controller, then you would want to to know not only who the user is (the PIN), but also what area they're trying to get into (the site code). Even if you have multiple readers in your home, the specific Elk keypad or M1KAM that it's connected to will give you the site, so the site code is irrelevant. You just need to make certain that you use the same code when generating codes and programming the AY.

You can also "learn" codes by directly from the keypad by using the following procedure:

1. On the Keypad, press the center ELK key.
2. Press 6 to jump directly to Menu 06 - Change
User Codes OR Use the UP or DOWN arrow
keys to scroll to the menu.
3. Press the RIGHT arrow key to select Menu 6.
Enter a Master user code (PIN) to gain
access to this menu.
4. Use the UP or DOWN arrow keys to scroll to
the User Code location (001 to 099) where
the Prox card/fob is to be enrolled. OR enter
the three digit number, i.e., 050 for User 50.
5. Select CHG by pressing the RIGHT arrow key.
6. The keypad will display the existing 4 or 6
digit code that is programmed for this user
along with any programmed name.
7. Place a new (not previously enrolled) prox
card/fob near the UltraProx Weigand Reader.
The nominal read range is approximately 3"
from the front surface. The clam-shell type
prox cards generally have a better read range
than fobs. You may also just enter a PIN here rather than presenting a prox reader.
8. If the keypad accepts the new prox card/fob, it
will beep 3 times and display a 12 digit code,
which is part of the ID stored in the card/fob.
If the keypad rejects the prox card/fob, it will
produce a low error tone and display:
Code Not Authorized, Redo
The reject error may be caused by:
A. The card or fob has already been enrolled
(the M1 does not allow duplicate codes)
OR
B. The facility code stored in the prox card/fob
does not match the ELK facility code. The
UltraProx Weigand Reader can only read
cards/fobs which have the matching facility
code.

After learning a code this way, you can then update ELKRP by reading that user code from the system.

Attachments

• AY_G64_Instruction_Manual_250604.pdf
    166.1 KB · Views: 36
I'm planning to install an M1KPAS into a weatherproof box outside the garage and have the door lifters wired to an output zone in the ELK M1G. That way I can force people to enter a logged user code, program different function keys for the three doors and the lights, and allow us to arm from outside. I would like to disable the disarm ability from that keypad, but I don't know how to do that -- is there any way to limit the user codes that a keypad accepts?

Does anyone think this is a bad idea?

Chris D.

I'm planning to install an M1KPAS into a weatherproof box outside the garage and have the door lifters wired to an output zone in the ELK M1G. That way I can force people to enter a logged user code, program different function keys for the three doors and the lights, and allow us to arm from outside. I would like to disable the disarm ability from that keypad, but I don't know how to do that -- is there any way to limit the user codes that a keypad accepts?

Does anyone think this is a bad idea?

Chris D.

I dont know about installing one outside but if you install it as it's own "area" then I believe you can set it so you can not disarm other "areas" from that keypad but still run rules from it...

I personally wouldn't do this... just because by shorting out that keypad, someone could short out your whole system. There's not really any security behind it. Granted, that would cause a Trouble state on all your other devices, but someone could make your system enough of a nuisance to turn it off at the wrong time and leave yourself vulnerable. You really should spend the extra couple bucks and get something designed to be mounted outdoors that can't be used to compromise the rest of your system.

And old tactic here used to be that if your car had an alarm and someone wanted in, they'd keep triggering "false" alarms until you got tired of being woken up and just disarmed your car alarm... then they'd go in undetected. Same thing could work - if they keep shorting out your keypads, one night you'd get home too late to care to fix it and go to bed with the system unarmed - and extremely vulnerable.

Just by unscrewing the 2 flathead screws and messing with the 4 wires back there, they can trip the PTC on the power supply or interfere with the data bus causing all add-on modules to fail including all the keypads.

Normally the idea is that the keypads are in a protected zone, so by the time someone could screw with them, the trouble has been called in and messing with the keypad couldn't stop it.

tI had to revisit this thread for programming instructions--15 years later. The Rosslare vandal resistant keypad attached to my M1 died after 15 years of faithful service, so I had to replace it. Model number is the same, Rosslare AY-S55. I had forgotten what communication protocol to use. The new keypad is now configured to option 4: 4 keys binary + facility code, 26 bit Wiegand. All is well.

Back