[Guide] Wiring your new house 101

electron

Administrator
Staff member
This guide will help you plan the wiring for the your new house. Definitely a must read if you plan on building a house and are interested in making it 'future proof'. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have!

http://www.cocoontech.com/wiki/Wiring_Your_New_House_101

What awesome references!

Adding some search terms for google:

Enclosure, structured wiring, cable, coax, cat5e, catx, cat 6, new construction, new home, RG6, security, alarm, installation, sensor, contact, home automation, Elk M1, HomeSeer, CQC, Insteon, x10, UPB, distributed audio, distributed video, Nuvo, Russound, Abus, wireless, forum, touchscreen

Dan, you should add more search terms.

Hope you don't mind that I pass on this link in other forums - I always give full credit. :D

As long as you link to the forum thread itself (since the file location might change), I have no problem with this at all. I really do need to 'SEO' CocoonTech.

Post #5 link directs me to the CT home page.

Thanks, Dan.

I assume you were contacted by Julie Jacobson? She's collecting info for an Electronic House article on 'ultimate' prewiring. She'll probably just slap her name on the Wiring Your New Home 101-102-103 docs. I hope she at least mentions CT. She has me on an email distro list for source material - as a beginner, I'm still pretty clueless. I just told her to contact you, if she hadn't already.

Ah, it didn't point to the new /forums location. Thanks!

As for Julie, no she hasn't contacted me, and it would really bother me if she put her name on those documents, or used parts of them in her own guide.

I wouldn't worry about it. She's a decent writer.

And on the bright side, you have a team of cocooners on your side, to spam the crap out of her voice their concerns, if she plagiarizes.

As an aside, I fine the articles Electronic House almost completely useless...not because they concentrate on 500K+ houses or anything, but because the articles are too short. Even if you are interested in that fancy new piece of equipment they are showing, there almost always isn't enough information to go on.

As an aside, I fine the articles Electronic House almost completely useless...not because they concentrate on 500K+ houses or anything, but because the articles are too short. Even if you are interested in that fancy new piece of equipment they are showing, there almost always isn't enough information to go on.

I agree, you can get more out of the pictures (getting design ideas, etc) than you can out of the write ups. It would be nice if the magazine would take more of a technical approach to things, but clearly their focus is more on marketing the idea of home theaters and automation systems. The most technical portion of the article is the equipment list at the end of the article - and it tends to only list the big ticket items like the TVs, projectors, receivers, speakers and automation system used.

I agree, you can get more out of the pictures (getting design ideas, etc) than you can out of the write ups. It would be nice if the magazine would take more of a technical approach to things, but clearly their focus is more on marketing the idea of home theaters and automation systems. The most technical portion of the article is the equipment list at the end of the article - and it tends to only list the big ticket items like the TVs, projectors, receivers, speakers and automation system used.
You hit the nail on the head.

I haven't read this in a while, but I did just read it again. Still a very good document. But I thought of a couple of things worth adding.
1. Flood/water sensors in every room that has water. Sometimes this means more than one sensor in a room. Station wire.
2. Door strikes wired in the frames to monitor dead bolts. Station wire.
3. Not sure even now how this would be pre-wired, but with the new proliferation of electric/electronic door locks, perhaps there should be wiring on the hinge side of a door in anticipation of having to wiring/monitoring the door lock?
4. Some wiring does not need to be home run. Of course, if you planned ahead, you can still home run everything and then patch it together in the closet (by patch, I mean as in Ma Bell). For instance, in my master bathroom I have a tv that I always want on the same channel as the tv in the bedroom. So my DirecTv receiver pushes the tv picture out the composite outputs to the bedroom tv, and out the coax directly to the bathroom. If I had prewired an extra RG6 to the bedroom, and one to the bath, I could then connect those two cables in the closet. Two different ways of approaching it.

Back