Wireless equipment to use with ELK

jschumann

What is the best wireless equipmnet to use with the ELK? Importance is reliability and long battery life. I saw the M1XRFEG GE 319.5Mhz module, but when I do a search on devices, many sites say they are obsolete?

Thanks,
John

GE has cut back on a lot of their variety of devices, however they still make a lot. The newer Elk receiver supports SAW and crystal, so the variety is OK, however personally, I prefer Honeywell's RF.

Also GE is way more accessible in the typical DIY home automation stores.

the BEST could arguably be the Elk two-way ones when they finally hit stores - because they're supposed to be more intelligent about how they use power, and a guarantee of received signal - however, the smallest selection of options.

I also am a pretty big fan of the ION MicraG and PlungerG contacts - they are extremely simple to install, both their window and their door style ones, and they work great. These come compatible with GE, Honewell, or HAI receivers - depending on the model chosen. I have them on all my windows and most of my doors (interior, closet, exterior, etc) - and use them for automation as well as security. I like that they're basically invisible.

Elk's RF offerings remind me of DMP's use of Echostream devices (OEM). It's got a few key points for why it's good or better than the rest, but the variety just isn't there and I can't see it ever being offered, since the distribution and volume of the M1 isn't even close to Honeywell or GE.

I used to be a fan of GE because of their long life sensors and batteries, but now that they've discontinued them, the differences are very slight. I've got some RF devices out there running over 12 years with no batteries being changed, with an anticipated life of 20 years from GE/ITI. The only pro that GE has in my book is they're used for a bunch of panels and manufacturers (OEM) so that helps their distribution slightly, but I've found their quality on a few key devices to be very lacking, all the way back to the old ITI wireless days....they've only updated a handful over the years and offered a couple of new items.

ION is a 3rd party manufacturer that does OEM for Honeywell. They're not bad, but I shudder at their instructions to use a forstner bit in a vinyl extrusion and the magnet they include with the Micra is horrible.

ION is a 3rd party manufacturer that does OEM for Honeywell. They're not bad, but I shudder at their instructions to use a forstner bit in a vinyl extrusion and the magnet they include with the Micra is horrible.
Why's that? All you're drilling is the first layer, which is open into the drain area anyways... you're not penetrating any critical layers there. Granted, you'd be affecting the window warranty most likely, but it wouldn't cause any new failure. In fact, this method seems to be the best one available these days if you want truly invisible window contacts, because it *doesn't* require drilling through the important layers of the window frame to get to your structural framing as any wired contact would. They are purpose-built for vinyl windows - even the shape of the magnet fits perfectly into the little channel in the window. I've been very happy with them all around. As far as the magnet, I haven't had any issues; they detect when the window is only open about 1/2", and have performed very reliably for me. Also, they 3rd manufacture models compatible with GE, Honeywell and HAI.

The only issues I've had with them were that 3 of my plungers shipped with dead batteries, and the original design of the plungers was flawed such that it was pretty much impossible to remove them without destroying them; the plastic flange wasn't strong enough to handle prying against it no matter how gently when trying to remove a press-fit sensor. That said, they completely changed the design so that the flange is stronger and instead of being a tight pressure-fit, there are two small screws that hold it in place... they even include a little spacer should you need it for larger gaps.

To each their own - this probably doesn't help my security that you can't see any traces of an alarm system in my house if you were to scope it out - just the warning stickers. Keypads aren't really visible from any windows; siren is in the attic where you can't see it; doors/windows have hidden contacts, etc - but it looks extremely clean.

I think it depends on the window (or door) itself. Fortunate (or unfortunate) I did a rough count and I've installed contacts in about 30K windows/doors easily (15K in wired screens alone).

I've used Micras since they first came out, and the big sticking point for me has always been the odd shaped magnet. If they included a standard round rare earth (like those that come with contacts) rather than (in my cases) necessitating a replacement to be sourced, which adds to the overall cost/bottom line. In the case of a vinyl window, drilling is still drilling and it's can compromise the weather integrity. Ion's pictures and videos show a nice, pretty window with a double sill that drains to the outside, however in the wild, not all windows offer such and usually, unless you get a manufacturer's rep or cut sheet on the window, the level of compromise (if any) can't be determined until the hole is there.

The plungers are decent, I've had some pre-production GE units on my desk for eons, since I usually use Honeywell versions. I think they started making them with a flange like standard plunger contacts since then.

By far the best sensor that I've seen and worked with is the OEM one that Andersen is installing and producing that is Honewell 5800 series compatible, monitors the state of the lock in addition to open/closed. Andersen also is the only window manufacturer I know of that offers OEM installed hardwired contacts that don't void any warranty, but it's been a long time since I've seen/dealt with those in the wild.

Might also be another case of different areas - back east your dealing with much older homes - sometimes hundred year old places with custom wood windows, etc (I lived on the East Coast for a few years - NY, CT, MA)... but out here development has been completely through the roof, and any house you walk into around here use a very similar vinyl window; and that odd-shaped magnet is the perfect fit in the little grooves. In the case of my own windows, I could clearly see that the area I was drilling into was the part where excess water would drain out, so no worries of leakage there.

Different markets = different needs.

And yeah - the plunger ones have definitely changed design - they just sent me a couple of their new ones to try out after I expressed concern with the old style breaking so easily and it looks like a big improvement.

Exactly. I think a lot of people tend to forget that different markets have vastly different construction details and even age of houses. While not all of our houses here are that old, we have new construction all the way to the 1600's here (oldest house I ever did was 1637). Not many cookie cutter developments around here.

I contacted my Ion rep to see if they can send me out some new samples. Think part of the issue is I typically do hardwired over wireless, and automation, if RF is a recessed contact wired to a transmitter mounted above trim...mainly a service issue for me to choose hardwired and RF into a transmitter, but I have done the Ion stuff where asthetics are a concern.

Thanks Guys for the input! Sounds like GE has be best variety, but Ion/Honeywell has better products. Most of my windows/doors are done, I was thinking more in the line of PIRs, Smoke, Flooding type sensors....

Thinking Insteon/ISY is the way to go for lighting.

Thanks again, Helped me a lot!

Back