Figuring out the Site Code and Card ID from a wiegand device

tmbrown97

OK - Looking for some ideas from people who have worked with the Wiegand interface on the M1...

I have a receiver that talks Wiegand, so I purchased an M1KAM to hook it to before I read the line in the manual that says you can't program a fob from the KAM - only from a prox reader wired into an actual keypad... my keypads are all KP2's.

So - any good ideas on how to figure out what site code and card id are being sent, if all I have at my disposal are KP2's, a KAM, and a weigand receiver? Is there *any* kind of logging going on with the Elk that would see it, or anything like that? Unfortunately, there's no way to program or identify what's being sent from the other equipment.

Thanks!

Nevermind... upon closer examination, the KP2 can actually accept a wiegand-compatible device... though the special cable isn't included, I found something compatible on my desk - and just hooked my reader up to that instead.

I think Elk has a way to get HEX information from a card with their converter but I think you have to know the number and site code...

Did you get the card information?

I'll decode it for you if you want to ship one out to the east coast.

Also, all of the documentation says it works with 26 bit cards only. They are easy to decode with the right hardware.

Thanks gatchel - this is a fairly unique device - I'll be offering more details in about 2 weeks when I have it all worked out - but it does use the wiegand interface. It's not a prox card though, and when used in wiegand mode, it doesn't state anywhere on it what Card ID it'll present. I actually did get the thing enrolled and used Elk's program to reverse the codes, and they don't match anything I can find on the device.

That said, it doesn't really matter where the wiegand interface is - so instead of placing it at my garage sub-panel with a KAM as originally intended, I just put it behind the KP2 next to my front door and hooked it into that keypad - the power draw is so low it's able to run off the data bus power, so it's actually a pretty nice solution, and means the KAM that showed up today isn't necessary (ie - expect to find it in the classifieds soon!).

Elk's calculator can work bidirectionally to go from HEX to weigand and vice versa, but I'd assume that isn't the issue in this case.

There's a few devices that you can see what the actual weigand stream is, if needed. IBC and a few others make suitable interfaces to decode what is coming through.

I'd be shocked that the device doesn't tell you what the basic site code transmitted or what it is hard coded as...very common stuff, even with 3rd party interfaces, with the true variable being the credential #.

I could dig through my site survey bag to find out what interfaces I have sitting around to see if I can offer something that you're not seeing.

Well here - for kicks, here's what's printed on the fob:

What shows up if decoded from Elk's software:
Site Code: 1
Card Number: 24636

Maybe I'm missing something - but I don't see how to get one from the other.

Looks like Dallas Ibutton to me.

Ever since Elk changed their site a couple of years back, it's impossible to find some of the good docs. Pretty sure there was a nice chart and offset to get values to match in an M1 when doing prox from a non-standard vendor.

Not an iButton - but yeah not a standard device.

I agree about Elk's site... Their main product info is more accessible but there is some good stuff I used to reference that's nowhere to be found now.

Aww.. I hadn't noticed this line in the manual until you mentioned it:

"NOTE: It is NOT POSSIBLE to learn (enroll) an access credential directly using only an M1KAM."

I guess this means I'll need more than one reader after all since I won't be able to enroll more cards if my only reader is at the M1KAM making it kind of tedious to enroll one via temporary connection to a KP2 since the reader will be going on the outside of my garage replacing my stand-alone HID entryprox which doesn't integrate with my M1 at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBf-8sTJYxI

I'd avoid that route, fingerprint readers have a high false rate. :blink:

Enrolling cards isn't that huge of a deal, almost all popular ones have the credential # on the back and the site ID is usually known, if it's not on the card itself. Worst case, it can be easily determined via a USB reader.

I've been running prox and strikes on my M1 for years, inputted via RP.

Back