Alarm panel and automation help

GonzoTheGreat

New to this forum and what I have read so far seems like to place to come with this question.

I am looking at adding a alarm panel to my house. I have installed a DSC panel in the past with some X-10 integration. On my new house I want to go further. I currently have a unfinished basement so having a hardwire system will work as I can get to the main floor and have a run to the attic for the top floor. I have looked at the Elk and HAI systems, just not sure which will be the best fit. What I would like to do his have a panel that will give me:
1) the ability to interact with it via the web or smart phone (but do not want to deal with monitoring fees and companies, as I can do that myself)
2) be able to control lights
3) HVAC control
4) water detect sensors to shut off the main
5) speaker/mic to be able to communicate remotely or listen in
6) ability for remote sensors for driveway or perimeter alerts
7) Possible camera integration, but not sure I will go down this road
8) a easy scripting interface to setup the panel and automation

For light control, I am thinking of going with Insteon as it seems to overcome the shortfalls of X-10 and is not a pricey as Z-wave.

thanks

hi GonzoTheGreat, welcome to CocoonTech!

It really does sound like the ELK M1 or the HAI OmniPro would do the job for you, but I would reconsider INSTEON in this case. Both controllers have limited support for INSTEON due to the difficulty of implementing/managing an INSTEON network. If you really want INSTEON, I highly recommend the Universal Devices ISY-99 controller in addition (which supports interfacing the ELK I believe, but not the HAI panel).

The Z-Wave eco system also offers many diverse control modules, including multiple thermostats (so you have some choice here), door locks, etc. Both the ELK M1 and HAI OmniPro support Z-Wave via the Leviton VRC0P v3 module, which works pretty well.

From what I can tell, all the high quality HA switches are "pricey" - with exception of Insteon. You may have to pay extra for an ISY that configures/manages these devices. There are cheaper Z-Wave light switches sold (check out automatedoutlet.com), but they require a Vera or PC-controller for installation and control.

Leviton provides a five year warranty on all their RF+ switches. I suspect the PCS, HAI, SimpleAutomated, Lutron, etc… all have similar quality and warranties.

There is an extra cost if you want to integrate these lighting technologies into an HA panel such as Elk or HAI.

Based on requirements described above, an ElkM1 or Omni2 system can meet all the requirements – with the possible exception of video monitoring.

One other question: what are people doing about placing sensors on double hung windows where both the top and bottom open?
Our house is equipped with double hung vinyl windows that tilt in for easy cleaning. That tilt feature makes it impossible to use surface mounted wired sensors except across the bottom of the lower sash. I installed hidden sensors in all but where there are more than two sashes in a common opening. In that case I had to use surface mounts on the bottom edge of the center window's sash. I consider the magnetic sensors primarily as a warning to me when we arm the system that we left a window open. We never open the upper sash, so I didn't install sensors there. The sash locks are much stronger than the vinyl sash on which they are mounted, so I think a broken window is the most likely method of forced entry. I have multiple glass breaks and PIRs to cover this event.

I think the best way to detect entry before it happens is as DEL said: wired screens. Way too expensive for me, though.

Screens are the Cadillac way to go and yes they can be expensive to install and maintain. When looking at window coverage i am more worried about a silent entry than a gross attack. This could be an unlocked window or forcing the lock via prying. If I am home and someone smashes a window enough to crawl through they will be dead before they hit the floor. If I am not home I have motion as back up (note: most people have motions off in an occupied mode). Also other than tempered glass in doors most glass is broken to gain access to the locking mechanism. Not a lecture but just the way I look at it.

Thanks for all of the replies. I may end up going away from insteon, based on other issues I read. How does the programing and scripting with the HAI compare to he Elk? The videos for the Elk seem to be pretty easy and I have not found anything on the HAI.

Back