Insteon via M1 - NO ISY

Nolarola

I know this is going to drive everyone crazy, here goes nothing.

I have a few insteon switches and just got a couple of the new lightbulbs w/ insteon integration. I want to do some simple insteon lighting control with the M1G (i.e. when motion senor = light on; open door = light on; time is = light on) and do some controlling with eKeypad. I don't want to spring for the ISY (that's the part I know is going to drive you crazy). Can I get the INSTEON Dual-Band PLM Serial Interface (don't have), hook it to the XSP (already have) and write rules in RP? Will I be able to control the insteon lights with the EKeypad software?

(I guess this is the place where you tell me the cost is comparable and to get the ISY)

Yes.

It is cheaper to do it your way. To use an ISY you need the XEP unit and a PLM. To use the M1 to directly control Insteon, you need an dedicated XSP and a PLM. You probably already have an XEP unit so you shouldn't consider it's cost. You say you have an XSP, but keep in mind that if you can not dual purpose an XSP. If you are using it for Insteon control, you can't use it for anything else.

I don't have Ekeypad, but based on my looking at their ads, I would say that it will control Insteon stuff just fine using the Elk's lighting interface.

Yeah, I actually got a XSP as a bonus when a purchased the M1 from my distributor and haven't used it.
Looks like I just need a PLM, which makes the whole thing more palatable -- I'll also have everything if I want to get a ISY later. Thanks for the reply. Time to go order.

I wouldn't wast my time IMHO. The ISY is worlds better than the elk direct interface. Budget and wants may dictate otherwise, but if you can spring for it get the isy. There is one in the classifides, used, for under $200. Get it add the elk module and you're good to go.

Actually I just posted where you can get a new one for $200 in hot deals. Of course he may also need to buy an xep. Although I can't imagine not having the xep even if I didn't have an ISY.

I've been controlling my Insteon devices directly from the Elk (via serial expander to a PLM) and it works great. The biggest problem is managing links for which I have used PowerHome, but if you just have a few devices, doing it manually should not be an issue. Yes, you can write rules on the Elk using ElkRP.

I have just bought an ISY, and it is a little more powerful, but...

Yes PowerHome is the best option for link management in this case. What the ISY and Powerhome get you is they do some "magic" link management to prevent you from having to manually duplicate links.

If you are going to have another PLM or PLC out there for HA software now or in the future, the ISY is the best option. But as a central controller the Elk should work ok with just the M1XSP and PLM. BTW, when I switched to dual-band I actually noticed a big drop in reliability, I am still working through. I think the dual-band PLMs have reduced signal strength on the powerline or are more susceptible to noise.

Back