Looking for ideas and info on security cameras and DVRs

BMoore

Hi all. I'm new to this forum but been around the interwebz plenty.

I'm looking to build a home security video system. I've about given up on the build-it-yourself-from-a-leftover-computer idea (but would revisit it if someone has a great recommendation for a capture card). I'm looking at [this box here] as it looks to have a good interface and great reviews. I think I would like 8 channels for future build-up but I could settle for 4 if I got a reliable device. I was looking at the DVR & camera all-in-ones but I REALLY want a camera that I can screw on a 2x or 4x lens so I'm willing to piece the set together. I can't find anything like that short of dealextreme and their products are so hit and miss on quality that I'm not sure I want to go there. I want the zoom in order to be able to read license plates pulling into my drive. In 10 years of law enforcement, the one burglary we solved in a timely manner from video evidence was b/c of a license plate. The victim had a bigger lens on his camera and it managed to get three of the digits.

The bottom line here is a $500 total budget. Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Watch out for resolution. Remember that when you're going over a coax connection to a video camera your maximum resolution is about 480i.

I operate a 28 camera neighborhood security program here in my hood. Cameras are on different homeowner property and the homeowners own all equipment on their property, but they all just be sure to get stuff to my spec so it can join the central program. Not to say this is what you've gotta clone in your neighborhood, but just stating my experience.

I've got two locations in the neighborhood where we capture plates with about a 60 to 70% success rate. Doing it at a higher success than this can get very expensive.

While I gave the above disclaimer about resolution I actually used analog cameras with IP converters in my system. It was just because at the time the best plate cams I could get that didnt cost over a grand were analog. Today is a different world. Every new camera we put in, and every failed one we replace, is now an IP cam.

Ubiquiti networks has a siiiick line of IP cameras they're just starting out. They have a 720 HD widescreen resolution, are fully weatherproof, powered over ethernet and...cost just $99/piece (incredible for an IP cam with this feature set). They do not have a camera with an external zoom lens at this time, but I have actually had some situations where I can read plates through these things when they aren't even trying to. Next time one of my actual plate cameras fails I'm going to at least try one of these in its place.

Overall, if you were to do a DIY type system rather than buying a package, I'd recommend Ubiquiti cameras and BlueIris software. BlueIris for $49 gives you the features and ease of use of software that elsewhere costs between 200 and $1000. It runs our 28 camera system, of which about 1/3rd of the cams are high definition IP cameras, without a sweat.

You can do way cooler things with remote viewing, fine tweaking of recording, email/text notifications, and more when you do a DIY system, especially with IP cams. May not be right for you, but just putting it out there. I've tried dozens of standalone DVRs over the years and honestly would never go back to using one. Unless you want a plug and play, one size sortof fits all in a fairly crappy manner approach, at least consider good software and IP cams.

Ubiquiti networks has a siiiick line of IP cameras they're just starting out. They have a 720 HD widescreen resolution, are fully weatherproof, powered over ethernet and...cost just $99/piece (incredible for an IP cam with this feature set

How do those cameras perform in low light (outdoor street lights)? Can you be more specific on a model number? Have you ever tried using vitamin D with these cameras?

Also, congrats on getting multiple homeowners to agree on not only having the cameras installed on their property, but agreeing to use their own internet access to make this work (I had to pull teeth for years to get our gated community to get cameras at the front gate!).

Having worked in the video surveillance industry for several years, my interest was piqued by the mention of $100 HD IP cameras that are being used to read license plates without "even trying to".

I viewed Ubiquiti's web-site where they mention their NVR software, AirVision, is included with the cameras for free! Then I viewed their forum. Ah. User feedback confirms that if something sounds too good to be true ...

There's only so much you can expect from a 1 MegaPixel camera. An AirCam owner, unhappy with the video quality, posted these videos:
They are representative of, a somewhat below par, 1 MP sensor.

Where exactly do you have your AirCams located so you can read license plates?

How do those cameras perform in low light (outdoor street lights)? Can you be more specific on a model number? Have you ever tried using vitamin D with these cameras?

Also, congrats on getting multiple homeowners to agree on not only having the cameras installed on their property, but agreeing to use their own internet access to make this work (I had to pull teeth for years to get our gated community to get cameras at the front gate!).

Low light performance is alright. I have several aimed at areas that are streetlit and I can make out a figure walking down the street, and perhaps determine their gender. Due to distance I can not ID them, but I can see if they're there. In an area with no streetlighting, since they are not IR, performance is bad. In my neighborhood since streetlights exist everywhere they do alright at night. Less grainy than the analog IR cams we formerly used.

As for getting neighbors to participate, the congrats are only partly deserved. This is a neighborhood of 160 homes. About 10 participate in the camera program to varying degrees. Since they're somewhat spread out this gives us a decent view of what is going on around the neighborhood at night. It was all started after one bad night of vandalism where 10 homes and 4 or 5 cars were spray painted. That got enough people ticked off to get the ball rolling on this. Had I decided to start it out of the blue nobody would have been onboard.

As for internet connections...only one of the 10 participating homes is linked in via their ISP. All other cameras in the system run on our own private neighborhood wireless camera network. I do networking for a living so I basically put up a sector radio site on my roof, with commercial grade radio panels aiming out at the various sections of the neighborhood. There is also a secondary relay tower with a powerful omnidirectional antenna on it that covers a portion of the neighborhood my rooftop can't reach. With this almost anywhere in the neighborhood we want to put a camera we put a small, directional panel wireless network device facing either a sector radio on my roof or the omni tower, whichever is closer.

At the end of the day we have our own camera network that the ISP can't say or do anything about, and that we can do firmware updates and stuff over WAY faster than an internet connection. I am able to pull a 30fps 720 HD stream from an aircam from all the way across the neighborhood on our private network. With how terrible the DSL provider out here is that is nigh impossible over homeowner internet connections.

While wireless will be wireless, using weatherproof, commercial grade wireless gear kicks most problems in the butt. Outages are rare (it goes out less than the local ISP, hehe), and bandwidth back to the main server ranges between 20 and 100mbps. VASTLY superior to the 1 or 2mbps upstream speeds available through the ISP out here.

Where exactly do you have your AirCams located so you can read license plates?

Right now the AirCams we have are located on homes. During daylight hours I can sometimes read the plates on vehicles parked in someone's driveway from these cameras. I have a few camera sites on mailboxes but presently none have AirCams. Our two plate cam sites are presently very well aimed, low angle, high optical zoom lenses. I'm interested to drop an AirCam alongside one to see how it performs. It has no optical zoom, but it is higher res than our present plate cams.

I never promised the world of these things when compared to other devices available..but when you consider price they pretty much outperform any other IP camera you'll find for at least one or two hundred bucks above them. If you need commercial grade plate capture, or multi-megapixel resolution, then by golly, there are better products for that.

If my other street level cameras on my mailbox weren't hanging in there so well I'd be mounting an AirCam to the mailbox right now. Though not designed for it, I feel it would have some success in plate capture at close range. If you're wanting to read a plate from a building side mount or something, though, no. Aircamis not for you.

AirCam is not the endall. I just get a bit excited about them because they are revolutionizing budget camera systems like that in my neighborhood. Formerly a few hundred bucks got neighbors 2 to 4 $30 analog cams and an IP converter. Quality was 320, framerate was 3fps, and nighttime was black and white only. Now we set up neighbor homes with AirCams and have widescreen, HD resolution at 30fps. Not bank-level CCTV stuff i'm sure, but god dang if it hasnt vastly improved our security out here VS our old equipment.

AirCam is not the best IP cam I've ever used, but it is probably the best $100 cam by a mile.

Those videos look horrible. I have seen better with analog...

You could get a license plate shot if you duct taped the camera to the front of the car driving behind you :horse:

I have the airCams, and use them with VitaminD. They are really nice cameras, and you just cant beat the price. I know they are working on a 'Pro' version of this camera, which will be a lot better, not sure on ETA tho. The quality of my images/video seems to be better than the videos posted above tho. If there was an affordable hardware based IP DVR solution out there, I would be switching all my analog cams out. They aren't perfect, but I am pretty happy with them. These are the only example I have on hand right now (pulled from an e-mail notification), but the image quality is a lot better than the $400 analog cams I use:

driveway.jpg

bird.jpg

I'll try to find some with license plates when I get home.

I wish I would have known about Aircams before ordering my analog Hong Kong cameras.. Ugh. -- the poe connection would have made things so much easier for connection.

Currently, I have ordered and not yet installed, 700tvl sony ccd 48ir led Hong Kong outdoor domes, on ebay for $75ea ---bought a total of nine units

Also, purchased a 16ch hdmi analog dvr, with no hard drive for $230

I have a new construction running 2 cat5e to each location, planning on running them off baluns

Back