How can I protect my City Issue Trashcan....

edge

from being used as a dog-poop drop off?

I live on the corner, and on trash day sometimes get home only to find the dreaded 'blue' plastic bag in the bottom of the can.

Distance from the house isn't too far, but high-dollar security cams aren't in the budget.......yet.

Suggestions?

Cheap camera with a zoom lens, a camcorder behind a window feeding to an old VCR on 6 hr mode.

A USB webcam with some sort of free PC recording software.

There are a bunch of possibilities.

OR

After the recyclers come install some sort of large mouse trap with a large paddle or platform and a trigger so that when it is dropped in the bin it is flung right back at them hopefully hitting them in the face or eye...

Start simple, even the Dollar Store (or at least they used to) sells these little piezo alarm buzzers which make a very loud noise when the door/window is opened, so make it so the trash can makes a lot of noise.

Or attach a sign which says the trash can is under surveillance and videos are automatically uploaded to YouTube ;)

FWIW, it has happened to me and it ticks me off but there's not much to be done about it. There are a lot worse things that can happen. Like when someone drives over your lawn. Anyway, here goes:

Start cheap. Slap a large No Dog $hit sticker on the can. You know the one I mean;big red slash through a squatting dog.

If that fails, go Old Testament on them. You probably have your suspicions as to who is the culprit. Leave them a blue-bag on their doorstep. A note indicating "Undeliverable: Return to Sender" is a nice touch.

If nothing works, get a camera and then see if they (or the police) give a crap if you have 'clear and undeniable video-evidence' of ... putting trash in a trash can.

Good luck!

PS
I don't recommend the Old Testament route, especially if they have video surveillance!

rub the dog poop around the handle to the bin? oh wait...it's your bin :p how about vaseline instead?

... Leave them a blue-bag on their doorstep. A note indicating "Undeliverable: Return to Sender" is a nice touch.
:rofl:

If your neighbors put it in a nice blue bag and tie it off, then they're better than me - I just dump the paper grocery bag full of it in there (my own)! It is a trash can after all - not something I'm going to eat off of!

Sweet Lord, why would you do that??? Are you SAVING the bag??? :throwup:

I have nothing to reply, just love that smiley icon!

Actually, I would go the route electron suggested, the only problem being, what happens when the trash men come to pick up the garbage? You woud have to disable it early in the AM.

OK, upon a re-read, that's easy to misunderstand... I don't "dump-out" the bag - but I do drop a grocery bag full of it in the trash can weekly! I doubt it always stays upright.

Then again, my father-in-law is so ___________ that he cleans his municipal trash can if someone puts a poopy diaper in it (needless to say, the inlaws never watch the kids!)... wow...

I would say be thankful that your neighbor actually picks up the poop, puts it in a bag, and puts it in a trash can, even if it is yours.

good suggestions all......looks like a combination of cameras and pizeo alarm might do the trick. Trash day is soon, so I'll report back.

Thanks!!!

Back