HAI, 2 x Yale zwave locks and VRCOP RF+3 integration

pbeaulieu

I have connected 2 Yale deadbolt locks to my HAI OmniPro II using z-wave and though I would describe my integration of the Yale locks and see if anyone had other ideas. The integration includes locking, unlocking, indirect integration into security zone and keeping track of 2 locks. Also, hopefully if HAI sees enough interest in z-wave locks HAI will add lock feature to their system.
The following are the key hardware components that I used for the integration:
  1. HAI OmniPro II
  2. VRCOP RF+
  3. VRCOP RF+ 3
  4. 2 – Yale deadbolt locks with z-wave module
  5. HAI relay module
Item #2 – the VRCOP RF+ is the older Leviton z-wave rs232 interface that does not support locks. There are several discussions in this forum about this topic. The VRCOP RF+ is connected to serial port #1 and controls z-wave network “A” which includes all my Leviton lighting controls. Serial port #1 is defined on the OmniPro II as Z-wave.

Item #3 – is the new Leviton rs232 z-wave interface which supports locks. The VRCOP RF+ 3 is connected to serial port #2 and controls z-wave network “B” which includes the 2 Yale deadbolt locks. Serial port #2 is defined as Pro-Link.

Item #5 – outputs 1 and 2 of the HAI relay module are wired to zones 24 and 23 respectively. When the relay outputs are off the corresponding zones are secure. Conversely, relay outputs are on the corresponding zones are unsecure.

The attached file has the details including the code that I wrote to support: Locking, unlocking, integrating with HAI security zones (kludge -but seems to be working) and low battery warning.

If there is any questions or interest I can improve the attached information with more details.

Attachments

• Yale lock to HAI OmniPro II documentation.doc
    69 KB · Views: 310
Paul, thanks for posting this, it's very helpful. i'm planning on using a similar setup, but haven't found the time to do it yet.

A couple of questions:
1. looking at the attached doc, it appears there is an 'alarm' for many events coming from the lock. it wasn't clear to me, however, if there are events for lock and unlock via the keypad, and if so, the user who did it. can you confirm the HAI will be notified not just that the lock was unlocked, but whose code was used?
2. how quickly do these messages propagate to the HAI panel? for instance, if i wanted to trigger some automation when the lock was unlocked by a particular user, how much delay would there be before the HAI panel started to execute commands?

thanks

Well I really hope HAI will take note and make locks a standard feature. It would work much better.

To answer your questions:
1) The documentation that Yale was kind enough to send me was missing the alarm code for opening with a keypad. However, thanks to hyperterminal and rs232 interface the code is:
Alarm Reports Alarm Type Alarm Level Description
keypad unlock 0x13 (19) 1-255 Keypad used to unlock. Alarm level represents the user slot # that entered the unlock code.

I added this to my doc. So if user code #1 is used at the keypad the Alarm level = 1.

2) My VRCOP is about 20 ft away for my primary Yale lock and there is a wall or 2 in the way. I have HAI code that will turn off the alarm when user slot code #1 is used to unlock the door. By the time I can open the door the HAI alarm is already off, I can not here the beeping. So in my case at least it appears that by the time the motorized deadbolt is done unlocking the HAI has already received and processed the command.

I have had this working for about 2-3 weeks know.

Hope this helps.

Yes I too wish HAI would include locks as a standard feature to thier system using either the new Zigbee interface or Z-wave. It is one of the last things we need to integrate into our system. Thanks for the info and leg work. If HAI does not add it soon will have to follow your lead and integrate the lock feature that way. Thanks

Paul: I have just recently bought a Yale lock and a new VRCOP+3 but so far have not been able to get the lock to respond at all. I don't have a OMNI I have an ELK but I can't even get the lock to respond via Hyperterminal. I used the latest version of the VIZIA installer tool and created a network which just consisted of the Installed USB stick (Node1) Yale Lock (Node 2) and VRCOP+3 (Node 3). I was able to include the lock fine and the VRCOP into the network but when I tried a simple lock or unlock command the only response I received on Hyperterminal was > E000 and nothing else. Here are the two simple commands I tried:

>NSS98,1,255
>NSS98,0,255

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong. I figured once I got it working with Hyperterminal I should be able to write rules in the ELK to send out via the serial inteface to do what I want but can't even get Hyperterminal to lock or unlock the unit.

Download and read my attachment on this thread if you have not already done that.
The command >NSS98,1,255 is missing the node name.
The command needs to be >N1SS98,1,255 for the lock at node1.

If you did the correct command via Hyperterminal then my next question is did the lock work?
If the lock works but you are not getting a responce other then >E000 via the hyperterminal then make sure you do the following to setup the reverse association:

Creating z-wave network “B”
The z-wave network “B” was created using Leviton USB stick VRUSB-1US and the Vizia RF + Installer Tool version 1.0.6.0. I first included the 2 Yale locks (nodes 2 & 3) and then the VRCOP RF +3 (node 4). I tried to use the software to setup the reverse associations between nodes 2, 3 and node 4 so that the locks would return status info. However, this did not work. Instead I used a computer connected to the VRCOP RF+3 via rs232 and Hyperterminal to send the following commands to the locks:

>N2SS133,1,1,4 <- Add node 4 to the association table for lock node 2
>N3SS133,1,1,4 <- Add node 4 to the association table for lock node 3

This was successful in having the locks report back changes to node 4 (VRCOP RF+3).

The above was critical in getting a responce back to the VRCOP and could NOT be done via the installer tool.

let me know how it goes. Good luck

Paul: I have just recently bought a Yale lock and a new VRCOP+3 but so far have not been able to get the lock to respond at all. I don't have a OMNI I have an ELK but I can't even get the lock to respond via Hyperterminal. I used the latest version of the VIZIA installer tool and created a network which just consisted of the Installed USB stick (Node1) Yale Lock (Node 2) and VRCOP+3 (Node 3). I was able to include the lock fine and the VRCOP into the network but when I tried a simple lock or unlock command the only response I received on Hyperterminal was > E000 and nothing else. Here are the two simple commands I tried:

>NSS98,1,255
>NSS98,0,255

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong. I figured once I got it working with Hyperterminal I should be able to write rules in the ELK to send out via the serial inteface to do what I want but can't even get Hyperterminal to lock or unlock the unit.
Dogman
You and I are working on exactly the same thing. I did exactly what you are doing, but I followed Paul's document (adding the node with hyper terminal, worked and I was able to open and close the lock with ht). I'm a little stuck as my panel (and M1XSP/VRC0P) is too far from lock. It is only about 25ft, but some walls/floor s are in the way. I will be relocating the M1XSP/VRC0P halfway between the panel and the lock.

I look forward to seeing your progress, Are planning on building a larger z-wave installation?

Paul, thanks for the legwork to get this going.

Cheers,
Rob

Oops well I did use the Node number in my command but the post above was just typed wrong. I also did the reverse association as you stated in your document but no luck. I have a 32 node network and the VRCOP3+3 was in that network controlling all of my Vizia RF fine so but could never get it to operate the lock so I reset the VRCOP and created a New network like you did Network B just to test the lock by itself with the VRCOP but still didn't work. I see that Project X mentioned he was having issues on distance so maybe I will move the VRCOP closer to the lock as I am probably 30 feet away and behind a couple of walls and a floor. I will report back the results.

Dogman, I kind of figured is was just a typo but you never know. It is a good idea to try it closer. For my initial test I was 3 ft way. I not sure if the secure packets will be forwarded through the mesh network with the older z-wave devices. Actually, I think I read that they are not but I'm going to do some research on this question in the Leviton forum later tonight if I have time.

My VRC0P worked from 30+ feet on the main floor, but 20+ from the basement, nothing. There is only one leviton module that repeats the security commands, but I don't have one, so I decided to relocate the VRC0P/M1XSP to a closet in my office halfway.
Once I find my punchdown tool, I'll finish it and test...

I excluded both the lock and VRCOP again and reset the Vizia RF installer USB stick and created a new network again with just the lock and VRCOP and for some reason it works now. Now I get to reset it again and try and include it back into my existing 32 node network and see if it works in the larger network.

I moved my M1XSP/VRC0P and if I bypass the M1, and use a serial cable with HT I can control the lock. I can't seem to it to work with the Elk. How do I know the M1 is talking with the M1XSP and VRC0P is there a log I can check......

Thanks,
Rob

I moved my M1XSP/VRC0P and if I bypass the M1, and use a serial cable with HT I can control the lock. I can't seem to it to work with the Elk. How do I know the M1 is talking with the M1XSP and VRC0P is there a log I can check......

Thanks,
Rob
I do not know about the ELK. However, with the HAI, I have to add a carriage return at the end of the command. The VRCOP needs to see the carriage return and the HAI does not automatically add that to the end of a command string being sent via the serial port. I'm sure someone familiar with the ELK will also respond.

I do not know about the ELK. However, with the HAI, I have to add a carriage return at the end of the command. The VRCOP needs to see the carriage return and the HAI does not automatically add that to the end of a command string being sent via the serial port. I'm sure someone familiar with the ELK will also respond.
I got it, I hooked the VRC0P to my laptop with LumenLink, exported the data and then imported the xml file to ELKRP, and not everything works including the lock. Not sure why this works now, because the test rules for the lock were unchanged going through this.
Now I just need to work on the rules, after i decipher the HAI rules in your, I'll have a good head start.

I got it, I hooked the VRC0P to my laptop with LumenLink, exported the data and then imported the xml file to ELKRP, and not everything works including the lock. Not sure why this works now, because the test rules for the lock were unchanged going through this.
Now I just need to work on the rules, after i decipher the HAI rules in your, I'll have a good head start.
Dogman,
I have the VRC0p sending the lock/unlock messages from the Elk with out any trouble, but I can't seem to be able to do anything with the incoming text string. I assume that I am missing a character (but I've added/removed ^M or ^M^J from the text that I am looking for (i.e. <N002:000,113,005,022,001). When you get to that part of your implementation, could you post your actual text strings you are looking for, so I can see what the difference with mine is?

Thanks,
Rob

Back