Automating "normal" smoke detectors

Frunple

I know I saw a thread about this but can't seem to find it.
Can anyone point me to it or give me some new ideas about "triggering" an Omni Pro II from non-automated smokes?

If you read my post I said I can't seem to find it..... Wouldn't you think that meant I tried the asearch and it wasn't working for me????
Common sense? But thanks!

Hmmm, for some reason, the link didn't keep the search entry and only liked to the general search.

The 'search term entry' I was trying to link to was "350cx" :icon_pai:

If you read my post I said I can't seem to find it..... Wouldn't you think that meant I tried the asearch and it wasn't working for me????
Common sense? But thanks!

Someone didn't get enough sleep ;)

BSR linked to search results, the thing is, you can't link search results due to the way the forum software is designed. I am sure you know by now that this isn't the kind of forum where everyone responds with useless 'use the search engine' type responses, especially CT staff.

first of all if you have the brand of the regular smokes please let me know, then I will tell you if it can be done.

i have the same problem, but after doing some research i found a way to do it. but it depends on your brand of smokes.

one think you should not do is mix smokes, dont change one smoke just to talk to your HAI.

the trick will involve the use of either 2 relays or just one relay, but again depends on the brand of smokes you have.

Someone didn't get enough sleep ;)

BSR linked to search results, the thing is, you can't link search results due to the way the forum software is designed. I am sure you know by now that this isn't the kind of forum where everyone responds with useless 'use the search engine' type responses, especially CT staff.

I didn't think so but when it went right to the search form.... what else could I think.
But since you say the search doesn't work that way, is there any known problems with the search? I thought it was on my end because it happens on one other forum also but everytime i try to search it acts like it's searching then I get the "page not found" page. Reload does nothing also.
Is this something thats been brought up before?

Hmmm, for some reason, the link didn't keep the search entry and only liked to the general search.

The 'search term entry' I was trying to link to was "350cx" :icon_pai:

Sorry.
But thanks for trying. The previous post was the one I was looking for.

first of all if you have the brand of the regular smokes please let me know, then I will tell you if it can be done.

i have the same problem, but after doing some research i found a way to do it. but it depends on your brand of smokes.

one think you should not do is mix smokes, dont change one smoke just to talk to your HAI.

the trick will involve the use of either 2 relays or just one relay, but again depends on the brand of smokes you have.

I actually ordered both the smoke and CO relays from Kidde.
All my detectors are from kidde so it should be pretty straight forward from there.

I didn't think so but when it went right to the search form.... what else could I think.
But since you say the search doesn't work that way, is there any known problems with the search? I thought it was on my end because it happens on one other forum also but everytime i try to search it acts like it's searching then I get the "page not found" page. Reload does nothing also.
Is this something thats been brought up before?

Most forum software will not allow you to link to a search directly for various reasons. While the link might work for a few minutes, it will expire pretty quick. Since the query string is also submitted via POST instead of GET, the URL will be missing some important parameters, such as the keywords you are searching for. Not exactly a problem/bug, just the way things work. If you really want to link a search, better off doing it via Google.

I actually ordered both the smoke and CO relays from Kidde.
All my detectors are from kidde so it should be pretty straight forward from there.

the kidde relays are designed to activate/or be activated by other fire alarm devices, meaning manual pull stations, strobes, etc.

they are not designed to close a contact to active a zone or input in your HAI panel.

Thats why you need another relay that will sense the voltage given by the kidde relay upon activation which in my case is 120v then the second relay will energize and close a normally close or normally open contact, these contacts will be wired to your HAI.

kiddle alarms work on a 120v AC circuit with 3 wires, one hot one neutral and a common signal wire, im not sure if that 350CX is compatible with a 3 wire smoke detector from another manufacturer. Im sure its compatible with its own smoke detectors from the same series. Thats where you need to double check.
For code compliance and safety do not mix smoke alarms/detectors.

the kidde relays are designed to activate/or be activated by other fire alarm devices, meaning manual pull stations, strobes, etc.

they are not designed to close a contact to active a zone or input in your HAI panel.

Thats why you need another relay that will sense the voltage given by the kidde relay upon activation which in my case is 120v then the second relay will energize and close a normally close or normally open contact, these contacts will be wired to your HAI.

kiddle alarms work on a 120v AC circuit with 3 wires, one hot one neutral and a common signal wire, im not sure if that 350CX is compatible with a 3 wire smoke detector from another manufacturer. Im sure its compatible with its own smoke detectors from the same series. Thats where you need to double check.
For code compliance and safety do not mix smoke alarms/detectors.

The Kidde SM120X has both a relay to activate other devices, and NO/NC contacts. I have it triggering my Elk M1 perfectly. The CO120X for their CO detectors includes NO/NC contacts, but no relay to activate other devices.

The Kidde SM120X has both a relay to activate other devices, and NO/NC contacts. I have it triggering my Elk M1 perfectly. The CO120X for their CO detectors includes NO/NC contacts, but no relay to activate other devices.

Could your post a connection diagram to your ELK.
I have read the manual of that relay over and over and the contacts it provides are only to be used with a manual station, when the manual is pulled then those contacts close, then 120 v or 9v is supplied to other devices.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Back