Video Analytics, what is available to us regular consumers?

electron

Administrator
Staff member
What video analytics solutions are out there, which don't cost a fortune, and are available to people like us? I basically want to be able to detect humans vs non humans, direction, be able to ignore wind, quick lighting changes and snow/rain.

I have been playing with Vitamin D, and am REALLY impressed with it. It's not cheap ($199 for more than 2 cameras, but on sale for $150 until end of the month). It even supports the Logitech Alert HD cameras. Since it's python based, it also runs on Mac.

I do have a 8 channel DVR, but the motion detection is useless. Most CCTV software aren't doing too well with motion detection either, but I have been able to use Vitamin D successfully the last week or so (using the free version), and so far, snow / lighting changes have not generated any false positives.

So before I spend money on this software, I was hoping if someone could suggest alternatives which can at least match the features of this product, while being within reach of the typical DIY'er?

The last video analyitcs systems I have dealt with were several hundreds of dollars per camera. They required lots of fine tuning and were a pain in the butt to set up. If you can get a set up for that price I would say go for it. Motion detection is pretty much useless as you mentioned. I'd say if Vitamin D is working, go for it.

I have seen some really impressive systems, but they really are expensive. While trying to stay away from PC based solutions for security, I don't mind running an app which can help me with accurate detection for home automation purposes.

I kinda like for my DVR to record light changes and stuff, only major ones, I watch in fast forward and see the day pass, the shadows crawl across the yard... It is pretty good, good enough not to eat up the HD in the DVR. BUT I agree it is worthless to use the Digital Outputs for alarming or anything like that. I know if it is recording too much, then it is not missing anything at least.

What I am trying to achieve is an old fashion 8-channel dvr, like it is now, and then just add vision processing on 1 or 2 cameras that are feed to a different computer. Then, a camera at the front door where it has a good constant field of view of faces might have a chance of something like this. Mostly I am trying to use the vision processing (Intel's OpenCVP and/or homemade stuff) on my gun turret projects in ways where I can do something with the data, like shoot them if they are not in the database =)

I might try the free version of that software though, I have been disappointed with everything I could get my hands on to play with, witch has been nothing current. I need some new toys.

Vaughn

My plan is to hook up the output of my DVR to an IP server, so I can access a copy of all the analog cams with this software.

I downloaded and installed the free/trial version last night. I have it watching my busiest camera. (driveway/back door) We'll see how accurate it is over the next few days at detecting only people type motion. During tests last nigh under low light, it was pretty good. I'll update you all after a few days of checking it out.

I downloaded and installed the free/trial version last night. I have it watching my busiest camera. (driveway/back door) We'll see how accurate it is over the next few days at detecting only people type motion. During tests last nigh under low light, it was pretty good. I'll update you all after a few days of checking it out.
Ditto. I bought the entry level version today to test on a couple of cams. So far, so good but, I'm gonna mess around a bit before I say much.

Humans vs non Humans isn't 100% accurate, but I am using a Logitech Alert camera in low res mode, looking outside via a window, to try this out. That said, it has not falsed once during the last few days, and we have had some major weather events which would make any other motion detection setup explode, so I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Humans vs non Humans isn't 100% accurate, but I am using a Logitech Alert camera in low res mode, looking outside via a window, to try this out. That said, it has not falsed once during the last few days, and we have had some major weather events which would make any other motion detection setup explode, so I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I was happy enough with what I saw to go ahead and buy the Unlimited version for my 4 cameras. There goes the last of my Christmas money. Good thing my birthday is this month.

I am surprised at the little response this thread is getting, I was under the impression that something like this was the holy grail of video based home automation ;) I was hoping for alternative suggestions if people didn't think this product is good.

Vitamin D relies on HTM (Hierarchical Temporal Memory) by Numenta. The background and history of this 'technology' is very interesting, especially if you look at the people involved.

I haven't bought the software yet, since I am waiting for another component to arrive, but the trial does look promising.

crazy thought: In theory, one could set up cameras (I would modify them so they are optimized for detection use, and to help protect privacy) in certain locations in order to detect when someone is about to enter a room, and turn on / off lights based on that (haven't tested latency tho), since it supports NOT triggering if someone walks past the door vs someone walking through it.

I didn't reply as my wife won't let me do the above...so, I only use it to say SOMETHING was there, capture it.

SupervisionCam is good enough for that, allows unlimited cameras, doesn't cost $100+

Since you seemed like you wanted more analytics than "something is there" I didn't say much.

--Dan

I don't have any cameras which can record what is going on IN the house (wife doesn't want it, and I do agree with that), but walkway/driveway is fair game (assuming that's what you mean) ;) I mostly want to use this to build an accurate driveway / walkway sensor, which works in any weather condition. Plus it will make it a lot easier to find out if something important happened, and if something did happen, I can go back to my DVR to look up the actual footage, since I am not interested in using this for long term storage.

The only negative I see for now is that development seems to be stalled, but I'll find out what's going on.

Here are 2 snapshots it just took, just to give you an idea:

ups.jpg
vitamind.jpg

Keep in mind that this is just the free version, which only supports low resolutions, and the camera has a wide angle lens, pointing throught a windows and screen.

I see, well, for what you are talking about, I've not had issues with the SuperCam working properly.

I can't have cameras IN the house, wife won't let it. Either recorded or not. She doesn't want it [period]

For Supervision, I told it to just ignore white (snow) and the green from my trees.

I didn't have any issues false tripping. It also helped, that I used HS to perform some logic, where I also had a motion sensor. The sensor had to trip AND see motion to record.

Worked well. Caught the Jehovah Witnesses EVERY time!

--Dan

I have tried many different products, and none of them can handle that big tree in front. Even if I block it out, its shadow is a big problem, and sudden lighting changes seem to trigger most products too. Add snow/rain, and I end up with a mailbox full of alerts ;) Take a look 'here' to see how it treats motion, and why it works so well. The product is far from perfect, but it seems to work ok so far.

And I agree with your wife ;) This camera is only being evaluated, it isn't permanent, but it's pointing outside, in front of the shades, so she's ok with this for a short time.

I also got a response back from the company. While they aren't doing any major new development right now, they are still supporting the product and might make minor releases. Not sure if this is a showstopper yet.

Back