Another Radio Shack Z-Wave sale!

Odeen

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=z-wave&origkw=z-wave&sr=1

Personal highlights:
Trane / Schlage thermostat (TZ43 clone without remote sensors) - $74.99
GE / Jasco 45601 Advanced Remote - $31.99 (Lowest price ever?)

Other products
Schlage locks are $79.99 to $99.99
Dimmer switches are $26.99 (single) to $34.99 (3-way)
Outlets - $24.99
Appliance module - $29.99
Dimmer module - $34.99

These will go well with the Monster dimmers from last week :)

I'm still a neophyte on Z-Wave, having only 1 Leviton Vizia + dimmer and an Intermatic Lamp module. I use a Control Think as a controller and a ZC0P interface to operate these with my Elve HA computer software.

Can is use the GE 45601 remote with this stuff without messing things up? Sorry for the elementary question, but I discovered Z-Wave is just a bit more complex than was the old X-10.

Thanks

Deane

I'm still a neophyte on Z-Wave, having only 1 Leviton Vizia + dimmer and an Intermatic Lamp module. I use a Control Think as a controller and a ZC0P interface to operate these with my Elve HA computer software.

Can is use the GE 45601 remote with this stuff without messing things up? Sorry for the elementary question, but I discovered Z-Wave is just a bit more complex than was the old X-10.

Thanks

Deane

Deane, you should be able to use this controller as a secondary controller without any issues.

The trane thermostat is a great thermostat whether you use it with zwave or not. Lots of advanced features in the menu like graphs for on/off cooling cycles etc... There's also an option for standalone scheduling (no zwave needed).

Too bad I just ordered a second trane thermostat for more money :( I poll the thermostat with a VRC0P rs232 controller with an issue.

The trane thermostat is a great thermostat whether you use it with zwave or not. Lots of advanced features in the menu like graphs for on/off cooling cycles etc... There's also an option for standalone scheduling (no zwave needed).

Too bad I just ordered a second trane thermostat for more money :( I poll the thermostat with a VRC0P rs232 controller with an issue.

Etc, can you control which LEDS are on?
Can you post any kind of messages to the screen?

--Dan

This is an amazing deal RadioShack is running. They must be getting out of Z-Wave or something. I bought my local store out of switches and lamp modules today. They're as low as $15-$20 for outlets, lamp modules & switches. Get em before they're gone!

Etc, can you control which LEDS are on?
Can you post any kind of messages to the screen?

--Dan

No and no. Still a very nice thermostat if you got one for $79. To enable the scheduler, go into the installation menu by pressing menu twice and going +/- for three seconds.

Can anyone comment on the GE devices? Particularly the lamp module, switches, and receptacles?
I've heard a few negative comments about the GE brand on some other forum, don't remember which. I have no first hand experience. At the price of the GE stuff on sale, I'd say it's worth trying. It can't be that bad.

I'd try some myself, but my HA software reports status from Leviton Vazio+ products, so I need to stick with that brand. Lot's more money, though.

So I went and bought 2 receptacles, 2 dimmers, and 2 of the lamp modules. I hope to install them tomorrow night and will report my results. I had no real intention of going with Zwave products (other than a few lamp modules to communicate with the Kwikset deadbolts I already have), but at these prices I couldnt resist. I may go raid the other local Shacks if I get good results out of these.

While I was there, I did see that the Schlage deadbolt listed on the sale link posted above, is indeed the regularly priced $200 Schlage deadbolt. I would have bought some for the sale price of $70, if I hadn't already bought Kwikset ones a couple of months ago.

Can anyone comment on the GE devices? Particularly the lamp module, switches, and receptacles?

Lamp modules seem to work well. One nice feature is they have ability to sense the light being turned on manually and then if you have polling setup the status of the device can get updated in your automation controller. My Intermatic lamp modules did not work this way. Also the lamp modules support beaming with helps with the Schlage locks.

3-way Switches- Some have reported when using the auxiliary switch for a 3-way they only get 80% brightness. I have not had this problem. Also, someone correct me if I am wrong but i don't think it works with all 3-way wiring scenarios? These support beaming as well.

2-wire switches- work good.

Don't have a receptacle one- I like the idea of being able move stuff easily if needed.

The GE switches do not support associations.

Lamp modules seem to work well. One nice feature is they have ability to sense the light being turned on manually and then if you have polling setup the status of the device can get updated in your automation controller. My Intermatic lamp modules did not work this way. Also the lamp modules support beaming with helps with the Schlage locks.

3-way Switches- Some have reported when using the auxiliary switch for a 3-way they only get 80% brightness. I have not had this problem. Also, someone correct me if I am wrong but i don't think it works with all 3-way wiring scenarios? These support beaming as well.

2-wire switches- work good.

Don't have a receptacle one- I like the idea of being able move stuff easily if needed.

The GE switches do not support associations.

Thanks for the input. The only reason I looked at, and bought a couple of the receptacles, was for them to be repeaters to get to the deadbolts. I have standard receptacles near both of my doors that I rarely use anyway. I would probably never use them as a controllable device, but simply as a repeater for the rest of the Z-Wave network.

I did get 2 of the lamp modules so they could also help expand the network, but again probably never use them as actual lamp modules, as I dont actually have any lamps in my house (other than the 2 on the night stands beside our bed).

After looking over the GE line a little bit, I wish they (Radio Shack) had the standard on/off switch for appliances, as I would use them along side the dimmers for the fans in each room. For now, I'll just be leaving the fans manually controlled :(

This will at least get my feet wet and started with some Zwave devices. I will likely swap them out for Intermatic or Leviton later. In all honesty, I really want to primarily use UPB, but again, at the cost, I couldnt pass up the idea of having some lighting control :)

I really want to primarily use UPB, but again, at the cost,
There's another consideration in choosing Z-Wave over UPB and that is the fact that UPB requires a neutral in the box and Z-Wave doesn't. I bought some UPB and then discovered I didn't have neutrals everywhere and had to return the UPB and go with Z-Wave. The white wire I thought was a neutral was nothing more than a loop down from the fixture.

Back