M1XEP TCP/IP Setup (email & timer not working)

mseicshn

I'm setting up my new m1xep with the elkrp2 software. I can connect to the device and configure all settings. This seemed to be going great until I realized that email and timer server are not connecting to the internet. I am not sure what my setting are supposed to be for my gateway & dns. Isnt the gateway just my router ip? What about dns 1 & 2?

Testing the timer server I get the following message IMMEDIATELY.

"Test Failed.
The mMXEP could not resolve.....
Likely causes: Incorrect URL or IP Address for the server, invalid dns address,
no internet connection, or Program Data has not been sent to the control."

I've used a dozen different ntp urls and sent & rebooted the device many times & internet is up. So it has to be dns addresses...

Please don't laugh. I told my husband I could do this and he already laughed! Any help would be great!

The gateway is your router. DNS is definitely the problem here. Try specifying your router as the primary DNS server. Not all routers support DNS forwarding (or have it turned on by default), so if that doesn't work, you'll have to figure out what DNS servers your router uses (which you can find out via the web interface). You can also use public DNS servers such as 4.2.2.2 and 8.8.8.8.

The gateway is your router. DNS is definitely the problem here. Try specifying your router as the primary DNS server. Not all routers support DNS forwarding (or have it turned on by default), so if that doesn't work, you'll have to figure out what DNS servers your router uses (which you can find out via the web interface). You can also use public DNS servers such as 4.2.2.2 and 8.8.8.8.
It doesnt seem to like the router as the primary dns. I see now in the router wan settings (via browser) where it has dns 1 2 and 3. are those the addresses I'm looking for?

AAAARRRGGGGHHH! I am using the local router address. and I used the dns 1 & 2..... and still the same result. I and sending the data to the device then reconnecting to reboot it. Do I need to do that?

I would definitely do a full power cycle, and verify the settings are still there after the reboot.

It should look something like this. I use static addresses.

IP Address : 192.168.1.46 (or whatever IP address you use)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 ( Or whatever your routers primary gateway number is)

Primary DNS: 4.2.2.1
Seconday DNS: 4.2.2.2

The 192.168.1.x are common internal IP's of most home routers. Yours could be slightly different, but probably not. Hope this helps.

After full power cycle the email started working but I can't get the time server correct. In fact, I get emails every day saying the time server is encountering errors while trying to update the clock.

When you are in RP, Click on 'Enroll/Update Control and Devices' from the Send/Rcv menu. You can see the firmware versions of your devices there.

Got it. Thanks. xep firmware ver 1.3.20.

What is the syntax of the time server url. I am simply putting an ip of a server from the ntp list. I cant tell if that is my problem or the tcp/ip setup.

Back