The Ultimate Home Automation Hardware List

electron

Administrator
Staff member
This list is dedicated to hardware controllers, which are devices designed to support one or more home automation protocols, with or without expansion modules. In order to make it on the list, the hardware should still be available for purchase.

This list is divided in 2 categories:
  • Intelligent Controllers, which support some sort of programming language, and can respond to certain conditions and home automation commands.
  • Dumb controllers are devices which don't support any logic, but can be programmed to execute some basic tasks (i.e. scheduled lights on/off) without depending on a PC.
A home automation hardware controller does not require a permanent PC link.

Keep in mind that until we set up the matrix overview, we only want to list the basic protocols/interfaces the device has, or the list would grow too large considering most of these controllers can do much more.

Intelligent Controllers
ADI Ocelot (X10-PLC,I/O,IR)
ADI Leopard II (X10-PLC,I/O,IR)
JDS Stargate (X10-PLC,I/O,IR)
HAI Omni II (X10-PLC,UPB,I/O,ALC,IR)
Universal Devices ISY-26 (Insteon)
Elk M1 Gold (X-10,UPB,Z-Wave,Insteon,I/O)
Elk M1 EZ8 (X-10,UPB,Z-Wave,Insteon,I/O)
HomeVision (X10-PLC,UPB,IR)
HomeVision Pro (X10-PLC,UPB,IR)

'Dumb' Controllers
X10 CM11A (X10-PLC)
X10 CM15A (X10-PLC,X10-RF)
SmartHome USB PowerLinc 1132CU (X10-PLC)

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Copyright © 2003-2005 CocoonTech.com - All Rights Reserved</span>

the CM11A,CM15A are listed already, the 1132B does not qualify, and the 1132C link points to the CU :lol:

electron said:
the CM11A,CM16A are listed already, the 1132B does not qualify, and the 1132C link points to the CU :)
Cute! No "This post has been edited by..." when the Admin does it! :eek:

TYPO on the 1132C - deleted the WRONG letter - s/b 1132U ;)

Why doesn't the 1132B qualify? :lol:

I only enable the "Edited by" phrase when I edit someone elses post, or when I make a major change to mine, relax!

Only the Powerlinc 1132CU qualifies because it's the only device which can be programmed with events. The others are just interfaces and require a PC.

electron said:
I only enable the "Edited by" phrase when I edit someone elses post, or when I make a major change to mine, relax!
EASY! I'm just kidding around, like everyone else...
electron said:
...Only the Powerlinc 1132CU qualifies because it's the only device which can be programmed with events. The others are just interfaces and require a PC.
Let's revisit the definition then...
electron said:
...Dumb controllers are device which don't support any logic, but can be compared with a timer device.
Dumb controllers are standalone devices with memory into which can be loaded Macros & Timers via a PC (and then the PC can be disconnected).

Ademco Vista 20P supports 16 x10 devices (1 house code), I/O (relays, low voltage outputs, etc.), 4 macros, 48 condition/response events and 32 scheduled/conditional events. Would that be considered smart :)

I know it was smart for my budget and by far the only affordable touch screen LCD I could find.

I support your statemetn Acoba, but this isn't new. I've been using HVPro with UPB for quite some time. In fact, they are working on a new prom which will add more features and capabilities in this regard. Glad to know there is another HVPro and UPB supporter here! :)

Back